5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate Pad for Mountain Bikes

heliinstructor

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience installing a pad with Ramboxes? Not sure if the Ramboxes make a difference. I’ve be ordered a 2021 Rebel for May and have been looking at Evoc, Race Face and Dakine. I know that not each type will fit different trucks properly. I’m worried about the shape of the tailgate and compatibility of different pads. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you are looking to do but hopefully this info helps or leads you in the right direction.

heliinstructor

Reaction score
I'm not sure what you are looking to do but hopefully this info helps or leads you in the right direction.

Thanks Jako. Actually tailgate pads are for transporting mountain bikes so that your tailgate doesn’t get scratched up.

5f32ab790544432eca32d53f27a6d244.jpg

dacm99

Reaction score
Following these responses. I need a tailgate pad for five bikes and I have the Ram box also.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thanks Jako. Actually tailgate pads are for transporting mountain bikes so that your tailgate doesn’t get scratched up.

5f32ab790544432eca32d53f27a6d244.jpg

10-4, thanks for the education. I looked up Yakima to get an idea what you were talking about but they had a lot of items.

heliinstructor

Reaction score
Following these responses. I need a tailgate pad for five bikes and I have the Ram box also.

So far my preferences are the three makes I listed earlier. I have heard that some pads don’t fit some tailgates that nicely.

Watch this Berm Peak review for Raceface. (5:30 into vid)

This vid shows the issue with putting same pad onto ram 1500 (no Ramboxes though)

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've got the original RaceFace pad, not the newer, adjustable, style that is made for the wider tailgates. It works still, but if I was going to use it on a more regular basis I would get the newer style so it hugged the shape of the tailgate a bit better. I ended up cutting off the little flap that covers the handle/camera so it would lie down a little flatter when I had it installed as I like to be able to use the camera and tucking it inside was a pain on the Ram's tailgate.

Smashius

Reaction score
I have the Dakine one that I use every now and again when I need a quick set up and don't feel like throwing on my Velocirax. It works fine, not great, just fine.

heliinstructor

Reaction score
Does anyone know the exact dimensions of the MFT on the 2021 rebel? Want to make sure I order the correct size tailgate pad.

bobgnarley

Reaction score
I also have the Dakine DLX curve (large, 59") and in my research it fits the contour of the RAM tailgate the best of all the other options. In full disclosure, I do not have the rambox, so you might consider the small (55") if your tailgate is narrower to offset the added width of the boxes.

Cautionary note: I always use a cable and lock to secure my bike to the truck when transporting it. I've heard that several people in my area have had their bikes stolen from their trucks when they were stopped at a red light. A cable and lock is not guaranteed protection, but it'll prevent an unsavory person from opportunistically grabbing your bike and riding away on it if you happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Make sure you loop it through the front wheel to both make it obvious the bike is locked and to protect your wheel :)

Last edited:

heliinstructor

Reaction score
I also have the Dakine DLX curve (large, 59cm) and in my research it fits the contour of the RAM tailgate the best of all the other options. In full disclosure, I do not have the rambox, so you might consider the small (55cm) if your tailgate is narrower to offset the added width of the boxes.

Cautionary note: I always use a cable and lock to secure my bike to the truck when transporting it. I've heard that several people in my area have had their bikes stolen from their trucks when they were stopped at a red light . A cable and lock is not guaranteed protection, but it'll prevent an unsavory person from jumping at the opportunity if you happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Would you mind posting a pic of pad installed? I’m worried about a pad looking rumpled or irregular.

Last edited:

bobgnarley

Reaction score
Would you kind posting a pic of pad installed? I’m worried about a pad looking rumpled or irregular.
IMG-0036.jpg
The fit is perfect IMO. Doesn't need to cover the entire tailgate, as the front wheel makes contact in the top third of the pad. It might look a little ****-eyed to the right if you look at the top of the tailgate, but that's just because I threw it on quickly to take the photo (I don't leave it on between rides).

heliinstructor

Reaction score
View attachment 82672
The fit is perfect IMO. Doesn't need to cover the entire tailgate, as the front wheel makes contact in the top third of the pad. It might look a little ****-eyed to the right if you look at the top of the tailgate, but that's just because I threw it on quickly to take the photo (I don't leave it on between rides).

Thanks! Looks great! Do you think it would still fit with Ramboxes or would they interfere? Maybe should get the smaller size?

ELiTE 1

Reaction score
Thanks! Looks great! Do you think it would still fit with Ramboxes or would they interfere? Maybe should get the smaller size?
Did you ever end up purchasing one, and if so which one (brand, size)?

I've been searching for weeks and can't decide on which to get. Narrowed it down to Dakine DLX curve, Thule, or the RaceFace.

Thanks in advance.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
What type of fabric is on the side that contacts the tailgate? Hopefully some sort of soft material to minimize scratching, otherwise it will scour that tailgate just rubbing against from driving, going over bumps, etc.

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
My concern would be dirt/dust getting between the paint and the cover as that would definitely scratch the paint.

so do you remove the cover each time and clean the inside?

seems like using a bike rack would be better?

Users who are viewing this thread