5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate Not Locking (Really)

teredwar

Reaction score
I have a 2020 1400 limited and I cannot get the tailgate to lock.

I can lock all of the doors and ramboxes, but the tailgate does not lock.

It is not because I have the key fob with me. I locked the truck, carried the key fob 50 yards away and wrapped it in foil - so it is not the key fob unlocking it.

Anyone have any ideas?

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score

It is not because I have the key fob with me. I locked the truck, carried the key fob 50 yards away and wrapped it in foil - so it is not the key fob unlocking it.

Anyone have any ideas?
Can you hear the lock trying to lock back there? If not I’d say the lock motor is bad, otherwise try cleaning and oiling it with wd40 or similar?

23RAM

Reaction score
Can you hear the lock trying to lock back there?
@teredwar Good info...if the lock isn't firing, it might be defective, worn, or damaged.

If not I’d say the lock motor is bad, otherwise try cleaning and oiling it with wd40 or similar?
Just FYI - regular WD40 is a solvent, not a lubricant. It's used to free up and remove rust/debris. Once the item is cleansed, you then need to add lubricant to "oil" it.

If the lock is a solenoid, then usually there's no need to lubricate it - replacement is usually the best choice.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Could be part of the tailgate latch recall. If it's not closing and latching properly, it won't lock.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is there a link to the recall?
It looks like you're in Canada, so I'm not sure how they do it there, but I've attached the US recall FWIW.

Attachments

• RCLRPT-22V904-2829.PDF
    211 KB · Views: 15

beetlespin

Reaction score
Not a free repair if your count what YOUR time costs.

Drive to the dealer.
Check in.
Sit in waiting room.
Check out.
Drive home.

Usually a full morning. I would like to be compensated in some way. Maybe a free oil change?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Drive to the dealer.
Check in.
Sit in waiting room.
Check out.
Drive home.

Usually a full morning. I would like to be compensated in some way. Maybe a free oil change?
Compensated? Lol

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Drive to the dealer.
Check in.
Sit in waiting room.
Check out.
Drive home.

Full morning? Seriously? Maybe you need to find a different shop. Mine took all of ten minutes. I had called ahead to schedule, of course. So I walk in, he says "Hi, Rick, where you parked?" I point to the corner of the building and we walk out. He writes down the mileage then goes around back, opens it and looks at both latches then closes it. Opens again and pushes closed with left side first, then opens and pushes closed with right side first. Shrugs and says, "Yeah, no problem, most of them are fine." He has me sign the shop order and rips off a copy for me. Done! Don't know why some people make a big deal out of stuff that isn't. 🤷‍♂️ Is it a city thing vs. rural, or blue vs. red? Whatever. :cool:

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Drive to the dealer.
Check in.
Sit in waiting room.
Check out.
Drive home.

I got compensated.
A free cup of coffee and a pastry with some friendly chat about some local affairs.
:coffee: 🍥 🗣️

I'm looking forward to it tomorrow when I go back for the trailer steering control software update.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Anyone have any ideas?
We see that you have received some great advice from your fellow forum members! However, if these suggestions do not address your concern and you decide to visit your dealer, our team would be happy to offer additional assistance throughout that process! We're available via private message.

Callie
Ram Cares

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score

Drive to the dealer.
Check in.
Sit in waiting room.
Check out.
Drive home.

Its a minor inconvenience but its not that big of a deal. I brought mine in today for the tailgate recall. The entire process from me checking in to me driving out took 20 minutes at most. The guy literally opened and closed the tailgate 3 times and said "yup, your good" then handed me the key fob. I asked him how many they had to "fix" and he looked and me and laughed and said out of all the tailgate recalls they did only 3 had to be repaired.

eazy1500

Reaction score
I got the recall notice on my ‘22. Haven’t gone in yet because I know it locks but I plan to some time. However I did notice shortly after I took delivery that the right side of the gate is not completely aligned or flush when closed. I looks like if you closed a car door shut but had a jacket or something stuck between the jamb.

Is anyone else’s gate like this (sticking out a little but still locking)?

Last edited:

RC Turner

Reaction score
I took mine in for the recall and spent nearly 5 minutes waiting for it to be completed. They didn't even need to take it into the shop. Work was completed in the parking lot. Probably four of the five minutes was shooting the breeze with the service people. Not a great deal of time involved.

Users who are viewing this thread