5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate Lock Out

CBH

Reaction score
I didn’t think I could lock myself out of my new Ram 1500 until I did yesterday. With the key fob secured in a pouch on my mountain bike, I opened the tailgate (by touching the tailgate handle), loaded the bike, shut the tailgate and locked myself out of the truck entirely. Fortunately my tonneau cover is velcroed along the sides so I was able to reach in and get the key. This new Ram did not come with a Valet key, so I had one made at Lowes (from the key hiding in the key fob) and now have the Valet key hidden underneath the truck for the next time I do something stupid like this. I definitely recommend a hidden Valet key.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I didn’t think I could lock myself out of my new Ram 1500 until I did yesterday. With the key fob secured in a pouch on my mountain bike, I opened the tailgate (by touching the tailgate handle), loaded the bike, shut the tailgate and locked myself out of the truck entirely. Fortunately my tonneau cover is velcroed along the sides so I was able to reach in and get the key. This new Ram did not come with a Valet key, so I had one made at Lowes (from the key hiding in the key fob) and now have the Valet key hidden underneath the truck for the next time I do something stupid like this. I definitely recommend a hidden Valet key.

Thanks for the warning. I wasn't aware that the fob wouldn't be "seen" while in the bed. May have to play with that tomorrow where I can bail myself out.

PTRAM

Reaction score

Good reminder, I will have a key made from the key in the fob, but keep it in my billfold as I always have it with me. (except maybe when I need it-not hopefully)

carwash2

Reaction score

Wow! Thanks for the heads up!

HotStuff

Reaction score
I wish there was a way to disable the tailgate lock. I don't worry about someone stealing my tailgate, and there are way too many times that I walk out to my truck to grab something out of the bed without the fob in my pocket, and can't open the damn tailgate because the doors are locked.

carwash2

Reaction score
I have a magnetic key on every vehicle I own. I'll do the same on my 19 Ram

CBH

Reaction score
A secret key is definitely a “must have.” You can also lock your key fob inside the Ram by pushing down the door plunger and closing the door. A friend of mine’s dog once locked him out of his own truck (15 miles outside town; engine running; keys inside; hooked up to a trailer with two horses in it) by pushing down on the plunger with his paw. We tried for an hour to get the dog to step on the unlock button...no luck.

Rich

Reaction score
My truck came with two extra 'valet' keys. Not that they are true valet keys, because with the electronic key fob, you need it to start the truck, but it did come with two extra old style keys.

Perhaps they came with the BUG? I have the RamBox as well as the infamous 'Bed Divider' which can use a key to lock it in place (probably so it won't be easily stolen).

EJ_Reynolds

Reaction score
I got out of my truck once and tried to lock it and it wouldn't lock. Come to find out my fob slid out of my pocket and between the seat. Surprise it locked you out, especially since it must be within 5 ft of the truck to unlock the doors. A valet key is a good idea, but this shouldn't be a problem.

naz

Reaction score
My dog stepped on the window down button and jumped out!

CBH

Reaction score
I got out of my truck once and tried to lock it and it wouldn't lock. Come to find out my fob slid out of my pocket and between the seat. Surprise it locked you out, especially since it must be within 5 ft of the truck to unlock the doors. A valet key is a good idea, but this shouldn't be a problem.

EJ, You are correct. You cannot push the black button on the outside door handle and lock the truck if the key fob is inside. I have discovered you can only lock your key fob in the truck if you lock the door with the other key fob or you physically push down the lock plunger and close the door. The bed of the truck is a different story. If you leave your key fob in the bed and close the tailgate, the tailgate will lock. I guess the sensor for the tailgate lock only looks for a key fob within a few feet outside the bed; not inside the bed.

EJ_Reynolds

Reaction score
Considering the fob in the bed and not the cab, would it be possible to unlock the door to the cab then push the unlock button on the door to unlock the tail gate? Just asking out of curiosity, guess I could test it in the morning since I dont have a tonneau cover.

CBH

Reaction score
Considering the fob in the bed and not the cab, would it be possible to unlock the door to the cab then push the unlock button on the door to unlock the tail gate? Just asking out of curiosity, guess I could test it in the morning since I dont have a tonneau cover.

Yes; you can access the tailgate by pressing the unlock button in the door or by pressing the tailgate unlock button in the headliner, which also opens the tailgate.

Hadaway35

Reaction score
One of these might come in handy. I plan on getting one for when I go on bicycle rides. And don't like the keys in my pocket.
0773d2631a0ccef3174748938d5fd59d.jpg

Sent from my MI MAX 3 using Tapatalk

swarggs

Reaction score
One of these might come in handy. I plan on getting one for when I go on bicycle rides. And don't like the keys in my pocket.
0773d2631a0ccef3174748938d5fd59d.jpg

Sent from my MI MAX 3 using Tapatalk
Just a word of caution: These are nice for times when you would like to leave your key with the vehicle for whatever reason, but not as a permanent hidden key location. Once moisture gets in there it will start to corrode and eventually the sliding compartment will be unable to slide out. Leaving this product in your hitch all the time is not advised.

I use one for whitewater kayaking trips and it is very useful for that type of short term storage.

Edit: Unfortunately this new vehicle can't utilize this product. I didn't have the proximity key fob on my previous trucks, this new one would mean anyone could just open my truck by grabbing the handle.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread