5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate light bar

DeV

Reaction score
Why is everyone wasting time modifying or trying to make those light bars fit when you can just get the 18 inch ones and get the adapter the plug in under the bumper and you’re done….I get so many compliments from RAM OWNERS out driving asking me where I got my set up……
I went with the 18" split as well...I just wish they did directional turn signals

Attachments

• 20211120_194051.jpg
    20211120_194051.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 153

Whiskeymike

Reaction score
I’m looking at the opt7 redline 60”. However, they say if you have blindspot monitoring (blis), you need to hardwire to tail light instead of trailer, as the vehicle automatically turns off blis, backup cameras, etc..

Can anyone confirm this for 2022 ram With ASG and similar? Anyone run into issues like this?

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
I’m looking at the opt7 redline 60”. However, they say if you have blindspot monitoring (blis), you need to hardwire to tail light instead of trailer, as the vehicle automatically turns off blis, backup cameras, etc..

Can anyone confirm this for 2022 ram With ASG and similar? Anyone run into issues like this?
It’s been said over and over in this thread, if you’d have read it, that THAT applies only to the Fords as stated on their page.

Not trying to be rude or anything. Just people refuse to read a thread where things have most of the time been covered.

wfddmm21

Reaction score
Looks great…..
Where does the wire for the back up camera come out on your truck? My new 2022 is off set to the left now pretty sure my 2019 was centered the offset looks like it won’t allow me to do the 18” pair easily.

Marty313

Reaction score
Got mine mounted up today. No where near as bad as I thought. Couple 1/4 spacers and tad longer screws and it was done. I found some random stuff to use for spacers in my garage I still need the in line adapter for the plug. And took the reverse wire into the passenger side tail light ans crimped it onto the green wire. 356A9F49-885D-4BC5-B5D2-FDFD98C40F41.jpeg

Attachments

• A59E21D1-3765-4B37-BB2A-F9C712F72C67.jpeg
    A59E21D1-3765-4B37-BB2A-F9C712F72C67.jpeg
    222.5 KB · Views: 85

Dobbij88

Reaction score
It’s been said over and over in this thread, if you’d have read it, that THAT applies only to the Fords as stated on their page.

Not trying to be rude or anything. Just people refuse to read a thread where things have most of the time been covered.

Meh. It was easier for you to simply answer his question than it would be for him to dig through 33 pages looking for it.

31RamIt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is there a version of this with just reverse lights

Gitter

Reaction score
Is there a version of this with just reverse lights

Not that I know of, but you could buy one of these (that does have the reverse light) and not connect the wires to the brake, blinkers or the running lights. Basically, you would only connect it to the power, ground, and the reverse wires from the trailer harness.

Personally, I never hooked up my bar to the running lights. I don't like the bar to illuminate when my headlights/parking lights are on until I use it to brake, signal, or reverse.

DeV

Reaction score
Meh. It was easier for you to simply answer his question than it would be for him to dig through 33 pages looking for it.
33 pages becomes that much longer if the same topic keeps re-circulating....
Sometimes a forum thread could be a couple of pages, but the conversation buries things and then redundant questions and posts buries it even further...

amcmac

Reaction score
What does the adapter do for you if you have a backup camera that’s listed on the opt7 website?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amcmac

Reaction score
You dont need it for Rams. I believe its needed on Ford and possibly Chevys

OK great. So it sounds like with all the bells and whistles on the limited, everyone is getting the bar and the Curt adapter and that's all you need

BobbyLeeSniper

Reaction score
OK great. So it sounds like with all the bells and whistles on the limited, everyone is getting the bar and the Curt adapter and that's all you need

Correct. The Curt adapter is just to hide the harness and tie it into the back of the trailer hitch/trailer plug

amcmac

Reaction score
Can somebody send me a picture of exactly where you installed the opt7 light bar, specifically the height between the bumper and the bottom of the tailgate? I know I will have to use spacers to get over the humps, but how do you get around the harness for the tailgate and the hole for the spare tire? Speaking of the spacers, when everyone uses those do you use any part of the adhesive on the light bar? Obviously many people got this to work, but with locating the light bar is there a specific spot to put it in order to clear the tailgate when lowered? sorry for all the questions, I am probably making this more difficult than it really is.

UnclJim

Reaction score
Can somebody send me a picture of exactly where you installed the opt7 light bar, specifically the height between the bumper and the bottom of the tailgate? I know I will have to use spacers to get over the humps, but how do you get around the harness for the tailgate and the hole for the spare tire? Speaking of the spacers, when everyone uses those do you use any part of the adhesive on the light bar? Obviously many people got this to work, but with locating the light bar is there a specific spot to put it in order to clear the tailgate when lowered? sorry for all the questions, I am probably making this more difficult than it really is.

1647692576026.png
EDIT: not my truck

Last edited:

Gitter

Reaction score

Like jimmy's picture shows, you will need to install it as low as you can just above the bumper. That way the tailgate won't pinch it when the tailgate is down. You have a few millimeters of room to work with, but it sounds like you have less extra room to work with if you have the MFT

Marty313

Reaction score
You mount it pretty much with the bottom of the light on the top of the bumper.

Attachments

• 54CEF99A-3BB1-4EA7-8BE1-12316B598257.jpeg
    54CEF99A-3BB1-4EA7-8BE1-12316B598257.jpeg
    124.1 KB · Views: 94

Kinalyx

Reaction score
Im going to ask a stupid question. Everyone has stated that the bar sits too low(close to the bumper) to help much with lighting the ground while in reverse.

Has anyone thought to just flip it over and mount it with the reverse lights at the top so the light has more of a chance to clear the bumper and get to the ground?

Shawn

Users who are viewing this thread