5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate latch

Vasa1

Reaction score
All these new trucks these days have some sort of electronic or push button latch, no more manual. So if you had a tonneau cover on and the battery goes dead, how can you open the tailgate?

CharlieP

Reaction score
All these new trucks these days have some sort of electronic or push button latch, no more manual. So if you had a tonneau cover on and the battery goes dead, how can you open the tailgate?
You have a tail gate release inside the truck not just on the key fob.

Konrad

Reaction score

It's still electric / electronic, right? I think he's talking about the truck battery, not the keyfob one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Vasa1

Reaction score
Yes both batteries. If the truck is dead, then what?

Konrad

Reaction score
Yes both batteries. If the truck is dead, then what?

Then proceed with the regular "dead car / truck" routine, I guess. Open your door with the key, open the hood, charge / replace battery or jump start.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thetalonguy

Reaction score

There’s a tailgate release inside a 5th Gen?

I don’t see one in mine (base BH) unless it’s part of an package/trim.

STR

Reaction score
This was a good question that was never answered. I read the manual and could not find anything. Hatches and trunks on most vehicles can be open with a key in the event of a dead battery, even the tailgate on Chevy truck could be opened with a key.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That’s when you realize your jump starter and jumper cables are in the bed...
Another good argument for the rambox. :p You can use a key to open them even if the truck battery is dead. That's where I store these types of things.

In all honesty though, it's likely that even if the battery isn't charged enough to start the truck, it should still have enough residual charge to open the tailgate. It would have to basically be completely dead or disconnected to not be able to actuate a solenoid. That's the click you are hearing when your battery is too dead to turn the starter motor. The starter solenoid. I doubt it's ever going to be an issue for anyone.

Luciank

Reaction score
this just happened to me. My jump starter was in the bed and could not open up the tailgate. I had to find someone to give me a jump. I am surprised that there is no way to open the tailgate if your battery is completely dead.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I keep a jump pack under the rear seat along with a bag of jumper cables, just in case.,

Snwjnky

Reaction score
I keep one of those battery jump packs in the beer cooler....I mean "floor utility box" in my crew cab. I can access that even if I can't access the jumper cables in my bed
You guys with the Jump Packs have them plugged in and charging by USB while driving? I see the NOCO ones use USB to charge.

Quint

Reaction score
Mine maintains the 100% charge for a long time. I usually bring it inside in January to charge it up again, but it's rarely below 90%-95%. On one of those -25 nights, my neighbor was outside trying to jumpstart her minivan. I walked out, grabbed my jump pack, put it on and her car started right up. At that point it had been sitting in my truck probably since August or September without being charged.

These things are great.

KCViper

Reaction score
Mine maintains the 100% charge for a long time. I usually bring it inside in January to charge it up again, but it's rarely below 90%-95%. On one of those -25 nights, my neighbor was outside trying to jumpstart her minivan. I walked out, grabbed my jump pack, put it on and her car started right up. At that point it had been sitting in my truck probably since August or September without being charged.

These things are great.
Can you share which unit you have? Might have to pick one up just in case.....

Users who are viewing this thread