5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tailgate dropping as you drive

ntmid8r3

Reaction score
Has anyone experienced your tailgate dropping down on there own ,like the 4th gens were doing ?? i"ve had three customers within the last two week complaining of this issue.

davidajpritchard

Reaction score
Mine dropped on a trailer. Cost me over $900 to repair. Thankfully the dampening made it so only the paint scratched off from turning.

Weird thing was no alerts came up on my dash. They have come up everywhere time it thought the tailgate was open, even if it wasn't. I have MFT if that helps
047d8782350c1dc3b6b6448d0e03377a.jpg

Sent from my SM-N986W using Tapatalk

aswetich

Reaction score
My 2020 Laramie did it with a bed full of Xmas gifts, and the dash doesn't give you a warning. FCA disabled the tailgate alert in most RAMs, except the Limited.
FCA was getting too many complaints about false tailgate warnings, so they just disabled it in the software. Your truck probably has everything to get an alert when it opens unexpectedly. Search Alpha ODB to re-enable the warning in the software

FCA needs to address the tailgates opening or the alert. Having neither is ridiculous for a truck that costs so much.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I had that happen to me once, but I religious give the tailgate a tug now to be certain. On my 2020 2500 Tradesmen (work beast) the tailgate really likes to fool you when you hear the click. I pull on it once it's good, but the second one sometimes let's go. It's like the latching mechanism has to be absolutely *perfectly* aligned open before closing all the way properly.

davidajpritchard

Reaction score
My 2020 Laramie did it with a bed full of Xmas gifts, and the dash doesn't give you a warning. FCA disabled the tailgate alert in most RAMs, except the Limited.
FCA was getting too many complaints about false tailgate warnings, so they just disabled it in the software. Your truck probably has everything to get an alert when it opens unexpectedly. Search Alpha ODB to re-enable the warning in the software

FCA needs to address the tailgates opening or the alert. Having neither is ridiculous for a truck that costs so much.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
I have a limited, warning come all the time and I can't pull it open most of the time it comes on. Really have to close it like a truck either way I open it. The barn door way touches ever so slightly when closing and is leaving a mark on the paint as well...

Sent from my SM-N986W using Tapatalk

ChadT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had it happen on a 4th gen - hasn't happened yet on my 5th

For those worried about cargo - if you have your rambox bed divider, you can use that or a cargo net to keep everything secure, even if the tailgate came down

ETA: And, if you ever suspect your tailgate fell?
you go through uconnect, you can take a look at your rearview camera - if driving, you can have a passenger do this. It will give you a view for a brief moment. If you see the road behind you and cars behind you? It's up.
If you see asphalt? It's down.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I haven’t had that happen to any of the Rams I’ve had but I also slam it shut . Maybe slam isn’t the right word but I’m certainly not gentle with it .

Users who are viewing this thread