5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tailgate Camera

BGWS

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to get the 2019+ Rams tailgate cameras to continue to stay on? I saw this on facebook and wondered if it would work

Find this connector which is right by the spare tire where it goes through to the tailgate
Take a pin number 2 out or cut wire There was talk about using a relay
Take pin number 2 about 6 inches back from the connector cut the wire in two and connect one side to pin 30 of the relay and the other to 87
You lose the grid lines supposedly. I dont have a pin removal tool, but if someone does have one would be a great find if it works
107735354_2742896962644848_9161028299299160687_n.jpg

smoke8r

Reaction score
What’s the problem we are trying to solve?
I have full access to all the cameras all the time.

BGWS

Reaction score
Trying to keep the tailgate camera on while driving down the road

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It would be cool if you could tie this camera into a Daschcam system.

That would be the only scenario I could think of, since you can access it momentarily any time.

BGWS

Reaction score
It would be cool if you could tie this camera into a Daschcam system.

That would be the only scenario I could think of, since you can access it momentarily any time.
It shuts off too fast I haul a trailer all the time with items strapped down and would be nice to have camera stay on For more than 10 seconds at highway speeds

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone tried to get the 2019+ Rams tailgate cameras to continue to stay on? I saw this on facebook and wondered if it would work

Find this connector which is right by the spare tire where it goes through to the tailgate
Take a pin number 2 out or cut wire There was talk about using a relay
Take pin number 2 about 6 inches back from the connector cut the wire in two and connect one side to pin 30 of the relay and the other to 87
You lose the grid lines supposedly. I dont have a pin removal tool, but if someone does have one would be a great find if it works
View attachment 61604
The first reason this won’t work is because that connector, and none of it’s circuits, are used on a DT ram or 2019+ HD ram. That type of wiring is for the analog camera that the 4th gens use. DTs and 2019+ HDs use a digital camera that is one single coax cable from the camera straight to the radio.
Second, if that LIN Bus wire is just cut or removed, you will get the blue screen saying camera unavailable, so something else must be done. I don’t see how putting 30 and 87 of a relay in line with the cut wire, because that would still be an open circuit until power and ground are supplied to 85 and 86, in which case, you would be right back to just having the LIN Bus wire connected like factory.

BGWS

Reaction score
The first reason this won’t work is because that connector, and none of it’s circuits, are used on a DT ram or 2019+ HD ram. That type of wiring is for the analog camera that the 4th gens use. DTs and 2019+ HDs use a digital camera that is one single coax cable from the camera straight to the radio.
Second, if that LIN Bus wire is just cut or removed, you will get the blue screen saying camera unavailable, so something else must be done. I don’t see how putting 30 and 87 of a relay in line with the cut wire, because that would still be an open circuit until power and ground are supplied to 85 and 86, in which case, you would be right back to just having the LIN Bus wire connected like factory.
OK glad I asked. Thanks for sharing all your knowledge with us Jimmy.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I see you have the 2500 series don't they have the rear cargo camera which I think can stay on whereas the 1500 series back up camera as stated only stays on for 10 seconds.

Users who are viewing this thread