5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tail light removal write up

Livinfast85

Reaction score
So this is just a simple little write up for anyone who might need some basic help with removing the tail lights.

1: You will need some basic tools:

A: A T-25 torx bit.
B: a body clip puller with a shop towel wrapped around it is a help to pry the light out once the fasteners are removed. The clip remover will also help with removing the 2 clips shown in the following steps.
C: Either a drill or a hand driver.
20190217_223319.jpg
20190217_223259.jpg
2: You will need to remove the tailgate support cable. GentlY pry out on the tab you see and slide the cable up and out off of the post.( NOTE: ONLY DO ONE AT A TIME, REMOVING BOTH CABLES AT ONCE WITHOUT SUPPORTING THE TAILGATE WILL ALLOW THE GATE TO FALL)

20190217_223357.jpg
3: After the support cable is removed, you will need to remove the (2) torx screws and the (2) plastic clips shown below.

Untitled.jpg

4: After the clips and screws are removed you will gently need to pry the light towards the rear of the truck. This may take a little force. Make sure you pull it out as straight as you can as not to break the 2 clips that hold it in place near the outside of the bed. See clips in picture below.

Untitled3.jpg

6: Once you have popped the light loose you will need to disconnect the harness. To do so you will need to gently pry the red tab outward. (Note: The red tab does NOT come all the way out!!!) After this you will need to push down on the black clip while firmly pulling outward on the plug.

Untitled 2.jpg

CONGRATS, YOU HAVE YOUR TAILLIGHT OUT!

RenoRam

Reaction score
Nice write up!! Just remembering how it only used to be a couple of screws holding the light with a firm pull to disengage the clips

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Haha, that was my plan but I ran out of time. Was going to put a bedlight kit in.
Sounds good, figured you were up to something with removing the light.(y) Let us know when you do get the bed light kit installed. Great write up by the way, good detail. Also the same for your other thread on the auxiliary reverse lights. You convinced me to try them,:whistle: I just ordered a couple a few minutes ago!

Livinfast85

Reaction score
Sounds good, figured you were up to something with removing the light.(y) Let us know when you do get the bed light kit installed. Great write up by the way, good detail. Also the same for your other thread on the auxiliary reverse lights. You convinced me to try them,:whistle: I just ordered a couple a few minutes ago!

Awesome! Thank you! Oh and a little FYI, behind the taillight is where the shock for the soft lower tailgate is located.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can swap the halogen tail lights for LED? Plug and play?

RLee276

Reaction score
So this is just a simple little write up for anyone who might need some basic help with removing the tail lights.

1: You will need some basic tools:

A: A T-25 torx bit.
B: a body clip puller with a shop towel wrapped around it is a help to pry the light out once the fasteners are removed. The clip remover will also help with removing the 2 clips shown in the following steps.
C: Either a drill or a hand driver.
View attachment 16531
View attachment 16532
2: You will need to remove the tailgate support cable. GentlY pry out on the tab you see and slide the cable up and out off of the post.( NOTE: ONLY DO ONE AT A TIME, REMOVING BOTH CABLES AT ONCE WITHOUT SUPPORTING THE TAILGATE WILL ALLOW THE GATE TO FALL)

View attachment 16533
3: After the support cable is removed, you will need to remove the (2) torx screws and the (2) plastic clips shown below.

View attachment 16535

4: After the clips and screws are removed you will gently need to pry the light towards the rear of the truck. This may take a little force. Make sure you pull it out as straight as you can as not to break the 2 clips that hold it in place near the outside of the bed. See clips in picture below.

View attachment 16536

6: Once you have popped the light loose you will need to disconnect the harness. To do so you will need to gently pry the red tab outward. (Note: The red tab does NOT come all the way out!!!) After this you will need to push down on the black clip while firmly pulling outward on the plug.

View attachment 16537

CONGRATS, YOU HAVE YOUR TAILLIGHT OUT!
Thanks. That plug is MFr to get loose. even after I figured out that I needed to push that one part in while pulling.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Being that some tail lights have so much tech in them (radar, etc), a quick mod would be to get a different type screw head to replace the factory ones. The older Philips head screws made tail light theft so easy, so now torque screws are being used. But, if someone knows what they're looking for, they'll come prepared with the proper driver type to steal your lights! Change the screw and the criminal will go to the next RAM and leave yours alone.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Nice write up!! Just remembering how it only used to be a couple of screws holding the light with a firm pull to disengage the clips
It basically still is, I think the plastic clips are to help with assembly at factory.

Users who are viewing this thread