5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tail gate

Jasper1

Reaction score
Has anyone had the problem of the tail gate not opening, either with the fob, inside cab buttun or by hand at tail gate?

Sixntwo

Reaction score
Yep! Its not completely shut. Lean into it and it should fasten. Now try it - should work! I have noticed lots of posting about it...
I just make sure its closed properly and it works fine

slauso

Reaction score
Has anyone had the problem of the tail gate not opening, either with the fob, inside cab buttun or by hand at tail gate?
Had my 2019 in twice for this issue. First time they cleaned the plug coupler for the power release mechanism. The second time they replaced the tailgate mounting bushing because the tailgate would slide sideways and could not be closed/or opened. It is working fine so far. Only been a week though. Seems kind of a weak design.

cmack5000

Reaction score
Have this problem also. First thought was not closing completely. Wrong. Taking back to dealership for second time. They replace the harness the first time. Still doesn't open no matter how "hard" I shut it.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Had the dealership check mine twice for the same issue. Both times they could not find anything wrong.

I have read of people moving the strike pin (or whatever it's called) on the passenger's side rearward a bit (1/8" or so) and that fixes the issue.

If I push in on my tailgate I can get it unlatch no problem and drop the gate so the actuation isn't an issue. I can feel where it is resting on the passenger's side latch more than the driver's. I'm not sure what torx size it is but I'll eventually move my pin back a tad so that the gate isn't so bound on that side.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Have this problem also. First thought was not closing completely. Wrong. Taking back to dealership for second time. They replace the harness the first time. Still doesn't open no matter how "hard" I shut it.
Hi cmack5000,
If you'd like additional assistance alongside your dealer in addressing this concern, feel free to send us a PM. We'd be happy to help.

Sarah
Ram Cares

Users who are viewing this thread