5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tail Gate Dropping

LaurenRob87

Reaction score
My 2020 1500 Laramie keeps dropping the tailgate every time I open the driver door. I've had the truck for about a month now. My second day with the truck, the tailgate kept dropping, and I assumed user error (there is a small button on the left side of the steering column, next to the lighting controls/ pedal controls that i kept messing with, no idea what it controls) . Eventually, it stopped and stayed latched. Fast forward to two days ago, tail gate drops after I backed into a parking spot, up against a handicap sign. Open my door, tailgate drops INTO the sign scratching the paint, no major damage. Since then, Every time I open the driver door, getting in OR out, the tailgate falls open. I'm at a loss. I have a service appt on Monday to get it checked, but super irritated.

The other thing, my passenger fog light was not working, but I didn't notice it until the day after I purchased it. It is covered by warranty, but essentially the entire fog light harness and wiring were faulty and have to be replaced (parts on back order until Jan 3).

This is mostly to vent, but to also see if anyone else had common issues.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum . Sorry to hear about the problems . There were a couple owners that had their tailgate drop and the fix was to open and slam the tailgate about 10 times in a row . Weird I know , I did it to mine when I first got it and it’s never done that but I guess I really don’t know if it ever would have .

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum . Sorry to hear about the problems . There were a couple owners that had their tailgate drop and the fix was to open and slam the tailgate about 10 times in a row . Weird I know , I did it to mine when I first got it and it’s never done that but I guess I really don’t know if it ever would have .
Wasn't that more of a no/hard latch type fix? As in people's tailgates were dropping because they weren't fully closed? This sounds more like an electronic issue between the door and tailgate causing the tailgate to trigger whenever the door is opened. Possibly related to the defective fog light harness or maybe another harness is also damaged.

Sorry OP, I've got nothing to add besides that.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like you got some electrical gremlins. I wouldnt be surprised if the original owner wasn't having same issues and traded it in just to get rid of a problem truck.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On the Gen 4 trucks we had a similar issue. The cause was a weak over travel tab in the tailgate lock mechanism that would bend or break and every time the locks were initiated or released there was a chance for the tailgate to drop. I once dumped my gun cart off the back of the truck (guns in the truck) and had to stop traffic for 10 min while myself and some passersby collected my scattered ammo.

The fix was simple and it was a recall. Something like that would be my guess.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Wasn't that more of a no/hard latch type fix? As in people's tailgates were dropping because they weren't fully closed? This sounds more like an electronic issue between the door and tailgate causing the tailgate to trigger whenever the door is opened. Possibly related to the defective fog light harness or maybe another harness is also damaged.

Sorry OP, I've got nothing to add besides that.
That's true . I just figured it might be worth a shot . I didn't think of the fog light harness causing electrical gremlins . Good point .

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In the Gen 4, every time a "Lock all" command is sent it causes all locking mechanisms to move into the lock position. That action actually results in some bounce back in the unlock direction. So as an example, every time your drive away if you have the truck lock your doors automatically, that bounce back, especially with the defective tab on the tailgate lock, may either unlock or partially unlock the tailgate. The conditions you describe seems to mimic that previous behavior.

Users who are viewing this thread