5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tacoma to Rebel..

jcmartin11b

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I’m currently looking at a few diesel (ED) rebels to replace my 2017 Tacoma Trd Offroad with quite a bit of work done to it. (Regeared, full icon setup, front hybrid bumper and winch etc.) Has anyone else made this transition? If so what are your thoughts after it was done.

Attachments

• CC58A80A-F45E-4E36-9408-C02E329F2127.jpeg
    CC58A80A-F45E-4E36-9408-C02E329F2127.jpeg
    250.9 KB · Views: 57

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not much help since I went full size to full size, but how do you (or your friend) like that Gladiator? My brother is looking at moving from his Xterra to a Gladiator since he wants to get back into a Jeep (grew up driving a Wrangler), and also wants a midsize truck bed.

jareebz

Reaction score
I just went from a 2019 TRD Off-road Tacoma to a 2020 BTS 1500. No ragerts. I used to dread driving my Tacoma because it was so gutless, and now I want to drive everywhere in my new truck.

jcmartin11b

Reaction score
Not sure on that gladiator. Someone parked at my land in Colorado (property borders national forest) so I though decent photo op

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not sure on that gladiator. Someone parked at my land in Colorado (property borders national forest) so I though decent photo op
One thing I can say is the 3 guys that all drive TRD Tacos at work all moan about the lack of power, rough suspension, and absolutely no rear cab room. Having sat in the back seat a few times it's one of the smallest I've been in for midsize trucks. Those 3 things especially are fixed with a Ram Crew Cab.

CHONRAM

Reaction score
Went from a 2018 4Runner TRD Off-Road to a 2020 BigHorn EcoDiesel. No regrets so far, didn’t use the 4Runner as much as I wanted Offroad, the locker did come in handy a few times. Kids are much happier in the crew cab, way more room. A lot more power, and much better mpg. My 4Runner has a rack/sliders/skids/33’s and it wouldn’t get over 17 highway, still first tank in the RAM but I’m sitting at 25 so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ngmernicki

Reaction score
I went from a 2009 Tacoma TRD OR to a 2017 Tacoma TRD OR to a 2015 Ram 1500 to a 2020 Rebel, the jump from the 09 to 17 was great for the better mileage but the power wasn't where I wanted it, and I felt that Toyota made an inferior product that year. After switching to the full size truck, I'm not sure if I'll go back anytime soon, the extra room, hauling, and tow capacity is great. Plus the 1500 interiors (at least in the trims I've gotten) have been quieter than the Tacos. I had the last gen Ecodiesel and I miss the mileage, but my future commute is going to be a lot shorter so the Hemi will work out better for me.

STR

Reaction score
My brother-in-law recently made the swap with no regrets, although he went w/the HEMI. There is no substitute for power, which the TRD is seriously lacking.

jcmartin11b

Reaction score
Yeah I’m picking up a travel trailer (opus op4). One of those small offgrid pop ups things. The Tacoma has 4.88 gears so that helps some But. Lol. I wish they still had the long term 0% interest loans right now

jcmartin11b

Reaction score
One thing I can say is the 3 guys that all drive TRD Tacos at work all moan about the lack of power, rough suspension, and absolutely no rear cab room. Having sat in the back seat a few times it's one of the smallest I've been in for midsize trucks. Those 3 things especially are fixed with a Ram Crew Cab.
Yeah rear seat space is one of my wants to increase for the pup. I had ordered the goose gear rear seat delete for the Tacoma. Ordered back April 1st still don’t have it so I just canceled that order. I love my modified suspension but for 6k it better be nice.

Kob0583

Reaction score
Have owned two Tacoma’s 05 and 11, as well as a 17 ridgeline. I went to the Ridgeline to stay midsize, better mileage interior and ride quality though a much less capable truck, traded it for a 20 rebel. MPG is slightly better than my 11 taco, but the ride, power and space are so much better and the interior is awesome. I don’t do any thing above novice off-roading so I can say which is better but after the Ridgeline I couldn’t go back to a cramped interior and that low seating potion. The Rebel checked all the boxes the Ridgeline did but is way more capable only things I miss are the trunk and the MPG but it was worth the trade off. One thing the Tacoma’s retain their value way better and are easier to fit in a garage. Probably still rate higher in overall reliability but overall I feel it’s way more pro than con and I enjoy driving my rebel so much more and no longer fell limited as far as any application I use a truck for. Tacoma’s are great trucks but I just grew tired of its limited interior cab size and ride quality. My 11 is still in the family though my dad drives it first major problem at 140k needs a new wheel bearing otherwise a solid truck. Do a comparison and see if it meets your needs, the ram will likely exceed them. I do think they can be priced a little high but that’s all full-size trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZHUND

Reaction score
Traded my 2016 Taco for a 2020 BTS about two weeks ago, so far I think it was clearly worth it. The Taco was good, but just boring and the Ram so far is anything but boring. Gas mileage took a hit go maybe 3 mpg so far, but after engine break in might be about the same. Roomier, faster, quieter, etc. no downsides other than a tight fit in the garage now.

jcmartin11b

Reaction score
Awesome. I think I have the taco sold and a rebel picked out. We’ll find out for certain on monday

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My son has a TRD Tacoma and theres no way I could drive that thing everyday. The difference is night and day, and while the Tacoma’s are supposed to be good off-road, I almost **** blood when we use his truck hunting on rough roads, the ride is soo bad. But I’d rather scratch his truck than mine!...grin

Users who are viewing this thread