5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Switching out big horn headlights

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you don't mind me asking, where did you purchase from? Interested in doing the
If you don't mind me asking, where did you purchase from? Interested in doing the same.
Not at all.

I got them from BAM Wholesale Parts:

Of course, the adapter comes directly from Retro Shop

Maverick4

Reaction score
Thanks for the info moosem!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jlanc20

Reaction score
If anyone is interested they are running a group buy on alpha rex right now, its a 150 dollar deposit to get you on a list, once the list reaches 20 people alpha rex will send out discount codes ...if you want more information contact alpha rex on instagram or facebook!

Last edited:

Grip750

Reaction score
I would like to do that for the 30%
If anyone is interested they are running a group buy on alpha rex right now, its a 150 dollar deposit to get you on a list, once the list reaches 20 people alpha rex will send out discount codes of 30 percent off...if you want more information contact alpha rex on instagram or facebook!

Boston

Reaction score
Is there any performance difference between factory halogen v factory LED headlights?

Mr. Hindsight

Reaction score
Is there any performance difference between factory halogen v factory LED headlights?

I’d say definitely yes. The factory leds on my bighorn are way brighter than the traditional halogens. I don’t even have to use the high beams really. Plus the styling of the headlight assembly looks a lot better and they’re not even the upper trim leds. If you’ve ever had a vehicle with them, it’s very hard to go back to halogens.

Plus what’s funny for me is that as much as I like all the exterior leds nowadays on vehicles, I can’t stand led interior lights. I like that softer, warmer light, not that integration lighting lol.

jws350

Reaction score
Has anyone had there local dealer switch the stock lighting that comes with the bighorn 2020 ram to the optional premium lightning package? Found a truck with every option besides that one. Wondering if I should keep looking or ask the dealer to order the led headlights and swap them out. Thanks in advance.
I performed the swap last year using the headlights and taillights from the retroshop. Using there harness made the swap a breeze. Since then, many companies have come out with LED replacements for the halogens. Let me know if I can offer you any guidance.

Grip750

Reaction score
I performed the swap last year using the headlights and taillights from the retroshop. Using there harness made the swap a breeze. Since then, many companies have come out with LED replacements for the halogens. Let me know if I can offer you any guidance.
Hello, are the retroshop lights OEM but with more functions? Or are they aftermarket headlights that are made to look OEM but have more functions?

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello, are the retroshop lights OEM but with more functions? Or are they aftermarket headlights that are made to look OEM but have more functions?
They are OEM, but you also have to purchase a harness to work with the Bighorn.

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I've had Morimoto housings in for about 10 months, no issues knock on wood. I waited until the bugs were worked out

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
I'm still rocking the AlphaRex Headlights with no issues. (y) :cool:
View attachment 169360
nice! looks great!
your probably the first person i have heard/seen/met/found that STILL has had no issues and still has them installed with Alpha or Mori after a year, let alone 3 years. Most i have read or met usually just end up getting rid of them and going with OEM LED housings or put the halogen lights back in and put LED "bulbs". im waiting till next month for black Friday sales to purchase my LED housings. i have LED bulbs in my halogens for now but IMO the halogen lights are absolutely disgusting and ugly as helll. They literally make the entire truck just look basic and super ugly. i mean the fact that halogens are still even a thing now a days is crazy to me. it should all be LED. so still debating to go OEM or Mori. but from what ive read OEM is what im leaning to

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
nice! looks great!
your probably the first person i have heard/seen/met/found that STILL has had no issues and still has them installed with Alpha or Mori after a year, let alone 3 years. Most i have read or met usually just end up getting rid of them and going with OEM LED housings or put the halogen lights back in and put LED "bulbs". im waiting till next month for black Friday sales to purchase my LED housings. i have LED bulbs in my halogens for now but IMO the halogen lights are absolutely disgusting and ugly as helll. They literally make the entire truck just look basic and super ugly. i mean the fact that halogens are still even a thing now a days is crazy to me. it should all be LED. so still debating to go OEM or Mori. but from what ive read OEM is what im leaning to
The driving factor for me pulling the trigger on the AlphaRex was not to switch to LED vs Halogen bulbs but to add DRL to the truck. (I agree the stock halogen headlights look dated)

The OEM Halogen headlights are not designed for LED lights and you and everyone else that puts those bulbs in those housings are blinding on coming traffic.

If you want to run LED headlights then purchase the headlight assembly that is designed for the LED bulbs. :cool:

Ratchet

Reaction score
I've had Morimoto housings in for about 10 months, no issues knock on wood. I waited until the bugs were worked out
Had mine for about the same. Started having issues where the driver's turn signal was pulling voltage from the DRL and causing a dance party. Recently, the high beam shutter on same assembly would not close unless you manually switched the lights off and back on.

Found that the weather seal from the headlight harness to vehicle harness had failed and was full of moisture and corrosion. Was able to clean and repair it. Also replaced one of the terminals as it was not properly seated inside of the connector on the headlamp side. May want to disconnect yours and make sure you don't have the same underlying condition.

Users who are viewing this thread