5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Switch console USB port with USB3 from the backseat?

kevinjones1997

Reaction score
Hello all,

I did a search on this and found a few threads from this past October, but I thought I might start a new one to see if anyone has tried this. The USB port in the center console armrest is charge-only, while the USB3 port in the backseat is charge+media playback. Has anyone found a way to switch these two so that the port in the armrest is charge+media playback, and the USB3 port in the backseat is charge-only? Thanks in advance,

Kevin

Last edited:

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hello all,

I did a search on this and found a few threads from this past October, but I thought I might start a new one to see if anyone has tried this. The USB port in the center console is charge-only, while the USB3 port in the backseat is charge+media playback. Has anyone found a way to switch these two so that the port in the armrest is charge+media playback, and the USB3 port in the backseat is charge-only? Thanks in advance,

Kevin

Hi! Please let me know if you plan on visiting a dealership for this concern. I would be happy to assist.

Alison
RamCares

Ronkartz72

Reaction score
I'm not sure how the Big Horn is set up, but my Limited has 2 in the console both of which are charge + media. You might want to check the cable that you are using.

kevinjones1997

Reaction score
I'm not sure how the Big Horn is set up, but my Limited has 2 in the console both of which are charge + media. You might want to check the cable that you are using.

Sorry - I guess I worded that poorly. I was talking about the USB under the center armrest - not the two in the center dash console.

Larry Price

Reaction score
Yep. They should of made the one under the armrest both charge and media. That way you don't have wires running all over the place and you can hide your player under the armrest. I disassembled the console and the mounting for all the USB ports are different. There was no way I could see to switch or remount them. My solution was to run a USB cable from the USB3, up through the little cubbie and through the center armrest. I can see an inch or two of the USB cable(but only from the back seat) and I can hide the media player and he cable in the center armrest. It works just fine.

Stevenc150

Reaction score
Hello all,

I did a search on this and found a few threads from this past October, but I thought I might start a new one to see if anyone has tried this. The USB port in the center console armrest is charge-only, while the USB3 port in the backseat is charge+media playback. Has anyone found a way to switch these two so that the port in the armrest is charge+media playback, and the USB3 port in the backseat is charge-only? Thanks in advance,

Kevin
When a charge port is designated as such from the factory it is physically missing the required "data-transfer" wires/contacts. (same as some cheap USB cables are designated charge-only because its cheaper with just the 2 power wires)
To switch as you've described means you would physically have to exchange the ports keeping their respective wires/harnesses fully attached.

kevinjones1997

Reaction score
Yep. They should of made the one under the armrest both charge and media. That way you don't have wires running all over the place and you can hide your player under the armrest. I disassembled the console and the mounting for all the USB ports are different. There was no way I could see to switch or remount them. My solution was to run a USB cable from the USB3, up through the little cubbie and through the center armrest. I can see an inch or two of the USB cable(but only from the back seat) and I can hide the media player and he cable in the center armrest. It works just fine.

Thanks for doing the legwork for me. I guess I'll just buy a cable also.

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Funny thing... our 2019 Wrangler has a USB port under the center armrest, and it does the charge/data thing perfectly

Why wouldn’t they do this to everything?

Larry Price

Reaction score
When a charge port is designated as such from the factory it is physically missing the required "data-transfer" wires/contacts. (same as some cheap USB cables are designated charge-only because its cheaper with just the 2 power wires)
To switch as you've described means you would physically have to exchange the ports keeping their respective wires/harnesses fully attached.
Hey there
All I did was use the USB3 port in the rear of the console. That port is both charge and data. Just plug your cable into that and run it through the console. I have been using it like that for over a year and all is good

dacm99

Reaction score
Funny thing... our 2019 Wrangler has a USB port under the center armrest, and it does the charge/data thing perfectly

Why wouldn’t they do this to everything?
That port in the back seat is underneath the cup holder which has the cut out to hold an iPad. The intent is to have said iPad play over the speakers and drown out the sounds children make.

Users who are viewing this thread