5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sway bars

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not yet. I'm waiting until next year to order mine. I've already dumped a ton of money into the truck and I've only had it for 3 months lol. I need to slow down and enjoy it too! :D

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
haha it adds up. I think I'm at about 5k right now. I've tried to stop, but I find little things I want to do to it all the time.

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
you won't regret the rear sway bar. It is amazing! CAI's I'm in between getting one and not. I kind of want to spend the money on the mopar one! It just looks amazing..

CanRebel

Reaction score
I put Hellwig on mine few days back. I don't really notice much difference. But I only drive truck with factory for 3-4 days (600km)
Currently in middle, but might change it, to stiffest setting.
Some one in another thread, mentioned just removing it when you want to off-road.
Currently I drive 140-150 km day on Highway back and forth to work.

Weight difference between two is huge. It was mentioned stock is hollow.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The QC of Hellwig is f’in embarrasing. I wouldn’t give them a dime of my money.

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Care to elaborate more why it is so horrible? :O
Have you read any of the threads about the machining of the sway bar to end link connections or crimps that they claim is from workers using tools to move the sway bars from one process to another? Why doesn’t any other manufacturer have those issues?

CanRebel

Reaction score
Had zero issues with mine. I used the stock bolts and used grease a member said was better than what they ship with.

70runner

Reaction score
Many of the complaints involved the middle of the 3 adjustment holes being oval that, in some cases, needed grinding to open up. First thing I checked on mine, which were fine. Used Mobil1 red to grease the bushings. Noticeable improvement in cornering stability.

setting holes.jpg

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Hellwig is badass but just make sure to use some good grease on the bushings or else they squeak. Mine still squeak lol but when I tear apart the rear suspension to lift it I’m going to add better grease to them for sure. It’s a common problem

HandyCruiser

Reaction score
The Hellwig sway bar with shipping is going to be around $300 or $200 if you are current or past military through AAFES Exchange online:

HellWig Receipt 8 Sep 2021.jpg

There are some minor quality issues, but they are minor and don't affect performance. Hellwig is very good to respond to questions as well. You can read about the quality issues in my unboxing post here:

Here's our impressions after installation:
  • There is a noticeable improvement. I had worried that there would no difference at all. That's not the case. The Hellwig sway bar does in fact work. We have considerably less sway in the rear end of the truck.
  • The Hellwig sway bar does not appear to affect the ride quality of the truck. Our Laramie is just as smooth as it was with the factory sway bar. And it actually feels better due to the improved handling.
  • Handling is noticeably better. My sweetie had been driving a Charger Scat Pack and my daily driver is a Charger Daytona. We are used to having vehicle that handle well, especially at high speed. The Hellwig does not turn our Ram 1500 into a high-end Charger. But it does allow the truck to handle MUCH better at high speed. There is no more dipping and swaying when taking curves fast. I'm actually very impressed at this. And I've never had a truck that handles this well.
I have the links installed in the middle holes on the sway bar. I may try the holes closest to the axle just to see how the truck feels with the sway bar in the tightest position. But then again, it feels so good now, I may just leave it where it is.

Overall, I'm very happy with this purchase. Considering I got the Hellwig sway bar for right at $200 from AFFES, it was a true bargain. Even at $300, it is going to be worth it. This is likely a great add-on for almost any 5th Gen Ram 1500.

Here's my installation write up:

Be sure to read this too:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The Hellwig sway bar with shipping is going to be around $300 or $200 if you are current or past military through AAFES Exchange online:

View attachment 105914

There are some minor quality issues, but they are minor and don't affect performance. Hellwig is very good to respond to questions as well. You can read about the quality issues in my unboxing post here:

Here's our impressions after installation:
  • There is a noticeable improvement. I had worried that there would no difference at all. That's not the case. The Hellwig sway bar does in fact work. We have considerably less sway in the rear end of the truck.
  • The Hellwig sway bar does not appear to affect the ride quality of the truck. Our Laramie is just as smooth as it was with the factory sway bar. And it actually feels better due to the improved handling.
  • Handling is noticeably better. My sweetie had been driving a Charger Scat Pack and my daily driver is a Charger Daytona. We are used to having vehicle that handle well, especially at high speed. The Hellwig does not turn our Ram 1500 into a high-end Charger. But it does allow the truck to handle MUCH better at high speed. There is no more dipping and swaying when taking curves fast. I'm actually very impressed at this. And I've never had a truck that handles this well.
I have the links installed in the middle holes on the sway bar. I may try the holes closest to the axle just to see how the truck feels with the sway bar in the tightest position. But then again, it feels so good now, I may just leave it where it is.

Overall, I'm very happy with this purchase. Considering I got the Hellwig sway bar for right at $200 from AFFES, it was a true bargain. Even at $300, it is going to be worth it. This is likely a great add-on for almost any 5th Gen Ram 1500.

Here's my installation write up:

Be sure to read this too:

I know you’ve posted this previously, and thanks for sharing. But I will disagree with one point—a point mentioned by a number of us on old threads. There’s absolutely a tradeoff when it comes to ride quality. This is especially noticeable for those of us with the ORG that also happen to live in places with rough concrete roads (e.g. Texas). I tried the firmest setting, and I was bouncing all over the place. The softest setting rode much better while still improving handling in corners. Eventually, I went to the middle setting; I like the tight handling, but I pay for it a bit on bad pavement.

One thing almost all of us agree on is that it’s amazing how much difference a little bar can make.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/