5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sway Bar TSB repair

rzims

Reaction score
On Monday, I took the RAM to the dealer for the Sway Bar TSB. There was a noticeable clunk coming from the front end when going over bumps or bumpy roads.
The dealer diagnosed the issue as a loose sway bar (exactly what I told them it was when I handed them the printout of the TSB)
They charged me a diagnostic fee of 249.00 to diagnose a problem and torque down a loose nut that they found. When I asked why it wasn't covered they said that I still had to pay it even though it was a known problem because the vehicle is out of warranty??
If it's a known problem, shouldn't this have been a no-charge repair?

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
No, not all TSB repairs are free. TSBs are not safety recalls which are always free.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On Monday, I took the RAM to the dealer for the Sway Bar TSB. There was a noticeable clunk coming from the front end when going over bumps or bumpy roads.
The dealer diagnosed the issue as a loose sway bar (exactly what I told them it was when I handed them the printout of the TSB)
They charged me a diagnostic fee of 249.00 to diagnose a problem and torque down a loose nut that they found. When I asked why it wasn't covered they said that I still had to pay it even though it was a known problem because the vehicle is out of warranty??
If it's a known problem, shouldn't this have been a no-charge repair?

Unfortunately tsb's are not covered after the warranty expires compared to actual recalls. I know dealer labor rates aren't cheap but $249 is highway robbery IMO.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

rzims

Reaction score
yeah, I probably should have taken it to work and had the guys put it up on the rack for me, but I have even less time lately than I have money :)

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Are you still likely under the powertrain warranty, which is 5 years / 60K miles and if in a CARB state, your emissions equipment is covered for even longer.

But for your stuff out of the basic 3 year / 36K warranty, don't take it to the dealer unless you want to get ripped off. A good independent shop only, or try DIY for simple things.

Users who are viewing this thread