5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Swapping Ready Lift 3.5 for BDS 4-inch

CamsRam2020

Reaction score
Had ready-lift installed 2 weeks ago and immediately after driving off I was disappointed. Much stiffer ride, feel everything and completely lost the smooth factory, which is what I didn’t want. Added 35’s on 18-inch wheels and I’m sure it contributed. So after chatting with the shop they suggested the BDS 4-inch.

I really like the look, the ride was just horrible. Anyone have the BDS 4-inch with 35’s and if so what do you think of the ride? Also any opinion on going with the 6-inch with coil overs? Don’t want to get too high. The 3.5 is pretty nice.
Thought? 41981F55-2E45-4810-8884-0B385AA0631B.jpeg

Last edited:

Ranger482

Reaction score
I think more of the ride loos may be due to the tire/wheel combo than the lift. I have the readylift 3.5 as well with 35" E load range Nitto Ridge Grapplers. The truck still rides very well but the difference between the E Nittos and the factory tires is night and day. What pressure are you running? Maybe dropping a few PSI would help. I honestly don't know if the BDS will ride any better or not. Most lifted trucks with bigger, stiffer tires don't retain 100% of the factory ride.

CamsRam2020

Reaction score
I think more of the ride loos may be due to the tire/wheel combo than the lift. I have the readylift 3.5 as well with 35" E load range Nitto Ridge Grapplers. The truck still rides very well but the difference between the E Nittos and the factory tires is night and day. What pressure are you running? Maybe dropping a few PSI would help. I honestly don't know if the BDS will ride any better or not. Most lifted trucks with bigger, stiffer tires don't retain 100% of the factory ride.
Thanks for the input. Running Toyo AT III on 18 inch wheels - supposed to be a pretty good tire running 33lbs. After talking to BDS and a couple other shops - leaning towards replacing with a BDS 2 inch lift with coil overs for the ride and handling. It’s interesting - there are a lot more options for the Chevy and Ford - makes sense as more are sold.

Ram Dude

Reaction score
Bump

I've got the same lift and tires as Cam and I TOTALLY agree with what he said...Hope that shops not just trying to sell you another lift...Readylift is pretty reputable, reliable, and well regarded with DT Rams.

Ram Dude

Reaction score
Oops meant my setup is like Ranger's not Cam's 😂...Even have Vitesse TC. How do you like yours? Love mine...

Cam, wondering if could also be how they installed...Since I already had adjustable Bilsteins in front didn't use the 2" coil spacer, just the 1.5" top hat, and adjusted Bilsteins to clip 5, so I could be biased on ride quality vs ride with without Bilsteins and with coil spacers.

CamsRam2020

Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing Ram Dude. Looks like a different set up. Off-road shot has been cool. They recommended the Ready-lift over the other lifts thinking this would achieve my goals. Unfortunately it didnt ride close to the stock ride. Anyone running the BDS with the fox dsc?

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
I'm running the extended (2"-3") Fox 2.5 DSC coilovers and the same rear shocks. They can be tuned with the low speed and high speed adjusters to ride like stock even at the 3" height. So far these are not available through BDS, but are available online from several vendors. PXL_20201211_211047526.jpg

CamsRam2020

Reaction score
Thanks Rebel - how do you like the ride and performance? BDS has the 2 inch lift with the fox 2.5 coil overs with DSC. That’s what I’m leaning towards.

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
On road they feel a tad better than stock not stiff like preloaded stock springs. Off-road it is night and day. I've had both Bilstein 5100 and 6100 on this truck and was not 100% happy with either of them. If you are trying to stay closer to the look of what you had with the 3.5" lift I'd get the Fox 883-06-166 and set them to 3" with the BDS UCAs.

One thing to understand is that Fox has recommendations for rebuilding. It is every 50k miles for 100% on road driving. 10k miles for 50/50.

CamsRam2020

Reaction score
Thanks and glad to hear about the performance on and off road. Most of my time will be on road - but when I do go off road a better and more controlled ride will be nice. Posting pic of the BDS package (2 inch lift with 2.5 fox with DSC). This is what you are referring to right? Will this kit get me close to the 3.5 look or will it be slightly lower? Running 35s with some cutting.

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
No, the BDS 2" Coilover lift will only get you 2". If you want 3" of lift you would need to not go through BDS and go through a supplier of Fox that carries the model I listed before. The 2.5 DSC body coilovers are the same price if you by the 2" or extended travel 2-3" models. So, may as well get the ability to adjust.

This is directly from Fox's site:
Screenshot_20210122-002944.png

Ranger482

Reaction score
Oops meant my setup is like Ranger's not Cam's 😂...Even have Vitesse TC. How do you like yours? Love mine...

Cam, wondering if could also be how they installed...Since I already had adjustable Bilsteins in front didn't use the 2" coil spacer, just the 1.5" top hat, and adjusted Bilsteins to clip 5, so I could be biased on ride quality vs ride with without Bilsteins and with coil spacers.
Love the Vitesse, really eliminates ANY throttle lag and makes the truck so much more responsive.

Users who are viewing this thread