5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Swapping gears & adding LSD

John813

Reaction score
*Note, I know I should of selected said options before buying, but's what's done is done.
Completely spaced out that LSD/Anti-slip was an option when buying. Gear wise, getting tired of the truck downshifting from 8th when it hits any resistance.

Looking to finally swap gears(3.21 to 3.92) and add the Anti-slip diff to my truck. 2WD model, so no worries about front differential can of worms.

Does anyone know if it's the exact same diff as from the 4th gen Rams, 2011+ models?

What's throwing me off is the articles that talk about a new rear end for the 5th Gens, but not sure if they are referring to the Dana 60 rear axle/the coolant warming up the 2wd rear diff.

If I recall correctly, the standard rear end is 235mm for both the 4th and 5th gen trucks.

And, if anyone has any links to where to buy them from. I know about Moes, just curious if there are any others outside of the dealership.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The Dana Super 60 is only open diff and is a completely different axle than the other 2019 axles.

The 2019 axles are completely different than the 4th Gen axles...but the center section could be similar...but I doubt it.

Rustydodge

Reaction score
I'd check with someone like Moes Perfromance to see if diff components are the same.

Curious why you'd bother with adding LSD to a 2wd truck?

John813

Reaction score
I'd check with someone like Moes Perfromance to see if diff components are the same.

Curious why you'd bother with adding LSD to a 2wd truck?

Usually have had it in all the trucks/vehiciles I've had. While this truck won't see super soft sand/snow, I do drive through rain a lot and occasionally drive on dirt roads.

I sent a message to Moe's and I'm waiting for a response back.

GATORB8

Reaction score
Wonder if you could find someone who does a lot of interstate driving and wants the taller gears for fuel economy. Then just meet and swap the whole axle.

You could just watch the forum for someone complaining about mileage and swoop in, lol.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Wonder if you could find someone who does a lot of interstate driving and wants the taller gears for fuel economy. Then just meet and swap the whole axle.

You could just watch the forum for someone complaining about mileage and swoop in, lol.
We sure have had alot do that with wheels, and plenty join in on the rear gear discussions...that might be a viable idea. And probably cheaper and faster lol

GATORB8

Reaction score
We sure have had alot do that with wheels, and plenty join in on the rear gear discussions...that might be a viable idea. And probably cheaper and faster lol
Worth watching LKQ or other part breakers for one off a totaled truck. Then sell the whole take off axle and probably recuperate most of the cost.

Billet1500 4x4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Usually have had it in all the trucks/vehiciles I've had. While this truck won't see super soft sand/snow, I do drive through rain a lot and occasionally drive on dirt roads.

I sent a message to Moe's and I'm waiting for a response back.

It's pretty crazy how far you can go in 2wd with limited slip or a locker in the rear. I used to drive around in the Pismo dunes in 2wd most of the time, Granted I was aired down to 12 PSI and running 35x12.50 BFG mud terrains but still rarely needed to put it in 4wd.

John813

Reaction score
It's pretty crazy how far you can go in 2wd with limited slip or a locker in the rear. I used to drive around in the Pismo dunes in 2wd most of the time, Granted I was aired down to 12 PSI and running 35x12.50 BFG mud terrains but still rarely needed to put it in 4wd.

Yup. Never really used 4wd in my raptors. Sugar sand/mud etc. Only used it in the truly deep locations.
Would spend a day on the trails and could rock the locked diff at most.
That and tires play a big role, as you said.

Users who are viewing this thread