5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Swap BCM from 2019 to 2022 for New Features?

Just my 4wd had issues. Still shifted fine.

So now that we know that the BCM for a 21-23 can definitely be swapped into a 19-20 model year, are we able to program the upfitter switches to work, or is that a no go?

Calling on @Jimmy07

Im fairly new to this stuff but i did read different things on hd and trx forums regarding the bcm swap in 19-20 ram. Is it possible to do it without going to the dealer? I read some people say their programmer did the trick of pairing rf hub and someone also mentioned trying to add a new key fob after new bcm install and config restore would do the trick.

The only reason i hate to go to my dealership is they do a lot of shady stuff and keep making up issues that aren’t there when i initially bought in the truck.

I have a 19 Ram 1500 laramie

I got a 2023 brand new bcm ready to be installed and would like to do it myself if possible

Thanks for any info

Im fairly new to this stuff but i did read different things on hd and trx forums regarding the bcm swap in 19-20 ram. Is it possible to do it without going to the dealer? I read some people say their programmer did the trick of pairing rf hub and someone also mentioned trying to add a new key fob after new bcm install and config restore would do the trick.

The only reason i hate to go to my dealership is they do a lot of shady stuff and keep making up issues that aren’t there when i initially bought in the truck.

I have a 19 Ram 1500 laramie

I got a 2023 brand new bcm ready to be installed and would like to do it myself if possible

Thanks for any info
Unless you have the same equipment as the dealer, you will not be able to do this on your own.

I just went through this. The Dealership or someone with access needs to do it. There is a code that is required that is revolving/random. They have to put the configuration onto it. Then they will have to recent a few modules to start up the Can-Bus communication. It sucks - but worth not bricking a BCM/ECU

For everyone else - I just successfully got a 2021 BCM (68496414AE) into my 2019 Ram. With the 360 Tow Mirrors, everything works as advertised, to include the LED. Of not the Dealership (Which is how they have to do it) will configure your BCM with the 2019 Model year attached. My Softkeys locked up (Experienced during the installation of the 360 Tow Mirrors), so I had to go into the BCM and update it to a 2021. The due a RCU Reset within Alpha OBD and all function came back.

@vincentw56 and @Jimmy07 for the R&D on this.

I do have a U014D (Lost Communication with Mirror Control Module "B") that I am trying to track down. As all items seem to be working on the Mirrors (Lights, adjustment when flipped, 360 camera, BSM, etc.), @vincentw56 not sure if you saw this as well within AlphaOBD when scanning for faults. I am guessing there is a module still within the 2019 that doesn't like the 2021 BCM. Also not sure if this is what plays into the dimming issue with swapping to the DRVM?

Last edited:
I just went through this. The Dealership or someone with access needs to do it. There is a code that is required that is revolving/random. They have to put the configuration onto it. Then they will have to recent a few modules to start up the Can-Bus communication. It sucks - but worth not bricking a BCM/ECU

For everyone else - I just successfully got a 2021 BCM (68496414AE) into my 2019 Ram. With the 360 Tow Mirrors, everything works as advertised, to include the LED. Of not the Dealership (Which is how they have to do it) will configure your BCM with the 2019 Model year attached. My Softkeys locked up (Experienced during the installation of the 360 Tow Mirrors), so I had to go into the BCM and update it to a 2021. The due a RCU Reset within Alpha OBD and all function came back.

@vincentw56 and @Jimmy07 for the R&D on this.

I do have a U014D (Lost Communication with Mirror Module "B") that I am trying to track down. As all items seem to be working on the Mirrors (Lights, adjustment when flipped, 360 camera, BSM, etc.), @vincentw56 not sure if you saw this as well within AlphaOBD when scanning for faults

How much did the dealership charge you for BCM reprogramming? I know prices vary but i wanna get a rough estimate so they won’t rip me off like usual lol

Thanks for sharing the info.

They Charged $150 - Make sure they are not troubleshooting it. You solely want the BCM you bought directly from dealership to be installed. You are fine with the Vehicle Original Config (They won't add any options that were not documented / recorded onto the VIN)

They Charged $150 - Make sure they are not troubleshooting it. You solely want the BCM you bought directly from dealership to be installed. You are fine with the Vehicle Original Config (They won't add any options that were not documented / recorded onto the VIN)

Got it. Thanks. The bcm has been the biggest pain point to doing any upgrades on 19-20 ram.

I did find a YouTube video and a website selling CDA6 with micropod 2 and files upto 2022 models

GC MicroPod2, CDA6 OFFLINE, 231GB of Flash programming Files, Remote T

If its real its definitely worth it lol but im just skeptical since i never heard of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got it. Thanks. The bcm has been the biggest pain point to doing any upgrades on 19-20 ram.

I did find a YouTube video and a website selling CDA6 with micropod 2 and files upto 2022 models

GC MicroPod2, CDA6 OFFLINE, 231GB of Flash programming Files, Remote T

If its real its definitely worth it lol but im just skeptical since i never heard of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So the issue I think you will run into is I know for a fact he had to login into the MOPAR Service Website, unlock the BCM from ship, Use a newly generated code to just get the BCM to wake-up and start talking. After that he had to do some more work to get all the modules to do a "Handshake" to start communicating across the Can-Bus.

You spent the money on the BCM, I wouldn't risk bricking it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back