5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Swap BCM from 2019 to 2022 for New Features?

guitarjesus

Reaction score
Is it possible to swap in a newer year BCM to open up features and make future upgrades easier to do? Like the upfitter switches? Or does that open a whole host of other issues?

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I tried it and couldn't get it to work. But it could have been the BCM I had. This is something I tried when installing the new digital mirror. Which we got to work successfully in the 2019 and 2020 vehicles. But not with the BCM swap. The dealer couldn't restore my configuration.

guitarjesus

Reaction score
I tried it and couldn't get it to work. But it could have been the BCM I had. This is something I tried when installing the new digital mirror. Which we got to work successfully in the 2019 and 2020 vehicles. But not with the BCM swap. The dealer couldn't restore my configuration.
You have a link to how the digital mirror upgrade is done? Even infotainment.com says it can't be done and they are pretty good about this stuff.

vincentw56

Reaction score
You have a link to how the digital mirror upgrade is done? Even infotainment.com says it can't be done and they are pretty good about this stuff.
I do since I wrote the how to.

guitarjesus

Reaction score
I do since I wrote the how to.

Nice. You are a baaaaaaad man! :cool:

Daverous

Reaction score
Hey @vincentw56 , when the dealer did your programming was it on a fresh Bcm or a used unit? What specifically did they say failed on the programming side?

Thanks sir!

vincentw56

Reaction score
Hey @vincentw56 , when the dealer did your programming was it on a fresh Bcm or a used unit? What specifically did they say failed on the programming side?

Thanks sir!
It was on a new one. Infotainment tried to do some things with it so I don't know if they messed it up before the dealer tried.

Daverous

Reaction score
Copy, thanks. The dealer told me they could program that part number to my truck but I didn't want to go down the road if they're likely to be a bit over confident 😉

vincentw56

Reaction score
Copy, thanks. The dealer told me they could program that part number to my truck but I didn't want to go down the road if they're likely to be a bit over confident
Keep us updated.

Daverous

Reaction score
Update on my end. The dealer that originally told me they could, refused today over the phone now that I have the unit in hand and tired to schedule. Sent me to a service advisor who had me leave a voicemail and will probably never call me back. Nice group of people. Tried a few more dealers with varying results from, "We only have 4 techs, I'll call you back if I get time", to "These units are completely different with different connections". Turning out to be more trouble than I thought. Sure as heck would be nice to find a way to bench flash/vehicle flash these like days of old.

I'll update you if I make progress.

vincentw56

Reaction score
I know 100% that the connectors are the exact same. I had it plugged in many times in place of my 2020 BCM.

Daverous

Reaction score
Same here. Told them that over the phone and they sounded more confused. Alas....

Harston5

Reaction score
Well i have to go to my dealer for a recall fix over the tailgate. I will try to talking to them then. Fortunately the service advisor i always work with is willing to listen to me some... but they may not be that willing once i somewhat explain it.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
As far as the dealership and the work that needs to be done, trying it should be very easy for them. Even easier if they let you connect the new BCM once it’s parked where they are going to do the programming. The old BCM can stay in its place, just disconnect it, place the new one in front of it, and plug it in.
When making the appointment, don’t give them any more information than they need, and don’t try explaining what you’re attempting to do. It just raises unnecessary questions and guesses.
Just tell them you need to schedule an appointment to get a new BCM programmed, and you have it in hand. Make sure the BCM is brand new if you want any chance of it working.

All they need to do is perform restore vehicle configuration to the BCM, put the BCM in customer mode, then perform the BCM replace procedure in the RF Hub.

Whether or not it’s going to work, I’m not sure. They’ve updated the micropod firmware recently to where it seems to check the module version and variant against the VIN, and if it’s not a match, won’t recognize the new module. But, nobody’s ever going to know until someone tries it.

ZombieSlayer

Reaction score
<snip>

Whether or not it’s going to work, I’m not sure. They’ve updated the micropod firmware recently to where it seems to check the module version and variant against the VIN, and if it’s not a match, won’t recognize the new module. But, nobody’s ever going to know until someone tries it.

I wonder if locking out modules that don't match a certain pool tied to your vin violates the magnuson moss warranty act? That might be a discussion for another thread :censored:

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I wonder if locking out modules that don't match a certain pool tied to your vin violates the magnuson moss warranty act? That might be a discussion for another thread :censored:
Not even close. We’re Taking about installing a module that technically doesn’t even belong in a particular vehicle, whereas an actual direct replacement for the one that’s in there is readily available.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m waiting to come across a 2022 bcm + rfhub already paired, from a wrecked truck ;)

Mr. Chow

Just Happy to Be Here!!
Reaction score
Any Progress on this? I am seriously about ready to go on Ebay and find a totaled 22. Cheaper than trading in my 19 for a 22 with all the same options plus the new ones I am trying to add

Users who are viewing this thread