5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Swap BCM from 2019 to 2022 for New Features?

Daverous

Reaction score
I was finally able to get a dealer to program a 21 BCM for me about 3 weeks back. Went with a 21 because I wasn't sure if a 22 would cause any faults since I don't have UC5. The only way I could get it done was to drop it in the passenger seat and just tell them I needed a spare programmed, not mentioning part numbers or anything else about it. They both programmed and installed it while I was in for unrelated warranty work.

Works just fine and I was able to get my DRVM, mirror running lights, rear guidance lights, ext. to work as factory using Alfa. Wish there was an easier process, but it did work with a fresh factory-sealed BCM and dealer tools. There are a couple of others that have had success now as well, from following the TRX steering wheel swap thread.

Mr. Chow

Just Happy to Be Here!!
Reaction score
I was finally able to get a dealer to program a 21 BCM for me about 3 weeks back. Went with a 21 because I wasn't sure if a 22 would cause any faults since I don't have UC5. The only way I could get it done was to drop it in the passenger seat and just tell them I needed a spare programmed, not mentioning part numbers or anything else about it. They both programmed and installed it while I was in for unrelated warranty work.

Works just fine and I was able to get my DRVM, mirror running lights, rear guidance lights, ext. to work as factory using Alfa. Wish there was an easier process, but it did work with a fresh factory-sealed BCM and dealer tools. There are a couple of others that have had success now as well, from following the TRX steering wheel swap thread.
What was the part number for the BCM?

Burns1200

Reaction score

Now that you have the new BCM does it allow for the side mirrors to dim with your DRVM?

Daverous

Reaction score
I installed the 360 tow mirrors so they don't come with the dimming feature. The rearview auto-dimming does function with the CSM button, however, so I'd assume both would work with the new BCM.

Daverous

Reaction score
Heads up for anyone that stumbles onto this in search of a BCM swap solution. 19-20 uses a different rotary shifter part number. You will need a 21+ unit to keep your 4wd/axle lock/hill decent in operation.

I missed that mine wasn't functioning after the swap until I went to use it. Didn't even light up, error U0422 from the transfer case. Big thanks to @Njh3409 for verifying what he and someone else were looking into during their TRX wheel swap adventures. I changed mine out to the appropriate 21+ to fit my truck and it's back up again and fully functional.

I will continue to watch for any other conflicts, but as of now, I'm throwing zero codes on every module I've scanned with Alfa. Perhaps that was the only conflict in my case. Your mileage may vary based on trim level and powertrain options.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Heads up for anyone that stumbles onto this in search of a BCM swap solution. 19-20 uses a different rotary shifter part number. You will need a 21+ unit to keep your 4wd/axle lock/hill decent in operation.

I missed that mine wasn't functioning after the swap until I went to use it. Didn't even light up, error U0422 from the transfer case. Big thanks to @Njh3409 for verifying what he and someone else were looking into during their TRX wheel swap adventures. I changed mine out to the appropriate 21+ to fit my truck and it's back up again and fully functional.

I will continue to watch for any other conflicts, but as of now, I'm throwing zero codes on every module I've scanned with Alfa. Perhaps that was the only conflict in my case. Your mileage may vary based on trim level and powertrain options.
Thanks for reporting. Changing mine in a day or two.

ryanrep

Reaction score
I tried it and couldn't get it to work. But it could have been the BCM I had. This is something I tried when installing the new digital mirror. Which we got to work successfully in the 2019 and 2020 vehicles. But not with the BCM swap. The dealer couldn't restore my configuration.
So you were able to add the factory rear view camera mirror your truck?

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So you were able to add the factory rear view camera mirror your truck?
Yes, I wrote a how-to on it:

mpgenaw

Reaction score

What is that part number?

Daverous

Reaction score
P68503742AA fits my truck. Others will be different. Mine is not auto 4wd, has hill descent, and rear locker.

shlebz

Reaction score
P68503742AA fits my truck. Others will be different. Mine is not auto 4wd, has hill descent, and rear locker.
So would if I don't have axle lock/hill descent would I still need a new shifter knob from a 21+ to have my 4wd work? Do you need to get new keys programmed to the new 21+ BCM?

Last edited:

Daverous

Reaction score
You’d still need the new knob to match your setup. The bcm doesn’t communicate with the old 4wd buttons.

No new keys required.

Users who are viewing this thread