5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suspension questions

kmblackbear

Reaction score
I am picking up my '19 Rebel this weekend. I've been looking over some different suspension upgrades but I think I am limited. My truck has an air ride suspension. I live in the northeast so I worry about the potential leaks of the air suspension in colder Winter months. I won't be able to pull the system out this year, but I'm debating on going to full coil-overs with reservoir (maybe Bilsteins or Fox).

I've seen a bunch of people leveling the truck vs the stock setup, is this just a stance thing or is there a major gain in handling performance?

I wouldn't mind swapping the swaybars and/or control arms if it's a noticeable difference, any insight would be helpful.

If I pull the air system out I'll most likely lift the truck 3-6". I don't think changing out a ton of suspension components like the swaybars etc would be worth it for now since I would need a different version to accommodate the lift later on. Am I right in thinking that method?

Forgive me, I'm a bit of a newbie and this is the first new truck I have owned that I have planned any major upgrades to especially one with air suspension.

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score
BDS offers a 4” lift for air suspension and RC has 5” kit if you wanted to keep from removing the air suspension. I’m likely going BDS in the near future with new wheels and tires.

Hsmith5

Reaction score
I went with the BDS lift on my 2020 Limited and I'm really pleased with it so far. The ride is near factory around town and when I get on the highway it smooths out like it was stock. The air suspension helps it out a lot.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I suggest you drive it for a while and see how you like it. Will you be off-roading a lot or is purely for looks? If it’s just for looks you can accomplish a lot without going crazy. Leveling is easy and just requires some spacers up front. That will get rid of your rake. If you want it even higher then you should consider the new BDS 4”. If you go that route I would suggest making a decision on wheels/tires at the same time since they will all affect the geometry and the ride, whether there will be rubbing/trimming, etc. But as I said, the Rebel comes great as is so ride in it for a while and gather your info. Enjoy!

ps the rear swaybar is a no brainer. Get the Hellwig. It improves the ride bigly. No joke. Best money you will spend. Easy to do yourself and improves handling a lot. Order it now. Drive your truck a week, then swap it out and you will see.

also remember to grab the extra rebate below after you get your truck.

Make sure you go file for this additional rebate. Do it within 60 days of purchase.

The only qualification is that “someone in your household” must have a non-FCA vehicle or that you traded in a non-FCA vehicle.

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/update-250-rebate-on-all-new-rams.5648/

Direct link to form (you DO NOT have to have Allstate insurance):

https://www.allstate.bonusdrive.com/Content/Bonus_Drive_Form_With_Survey_Allstate.pdf

kmblackbear

Reaction score
I suggest you drive it for a while and see how you like it. Will you be off-roading a lot or is purely for looks? If it’s just for looks you can accomplish a lot without going crazy. Leveling is easy and just requires some spacers up front. That will get rid of your rake. If you want it even higher then you should consider the new BDS 4”. If you go that route I would suggest making a decision on wheels/tires at the same time since they will all affect the geometry and the ride, whether there will be rubbing/trimming, etc. But as I said, the Rebel comes great as is so ride in it for a while and gather your info. Enjoy!

ps the rear swaybar is a no brainer. Get the Hellwig. It improves the ride bigly. No joke. Best money you will spend. Easy to do yourself and improves handling a lot. Order it now. Drive your truck a week, then swap it out and you will see.

also remember to grab the extra rebate below after you get your truck.

Make sure you go file for this additional rebate. Do it within 60 days of purchase.

The only qualification is that “someone in your household” must have a non-FCA vehicle or that you traded in a non-FCA vehicle.

https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/update-250-rebate-on-all-new-rams.5648/

Direct link to form (you DO NOT have to have Allstate insurance):

https://www.allstate.bonusdrive.com/Content/Bonus_Drive_Form_With_Survey_Allstate.pdf

Thanks guys. I think BDS looks like the way to go for what I'm after. I won't be doing anything wild but some light off-roading, stock would probably suffice but the extra 4" would tackle most of what I'll encounter.

As for that Helwig, would I just get the standard one even for air ride? Is there an install video for it? Also would you recommend upgrading to adjustable control arms too? I saw a few different companies out there had them but wonder if they are much of an upgrade from the OEM ones.

Also thanks for that rebate! I think it said ended Jan 2020 though, but I'll still give it a shot.

Last edited:

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You should still be good on the rebate.
The hellwig swaybar is very easy to install. Search hellwig here in the forum and you’ll find lots of great info. There are members with the air suspension who have it as well without issues.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For my Rebel, I'm eventually going the Daystar Spacer and Revel Links route. I'm also considering replacing the upper control arms at that time, too. Sounds like a lot of people like the results, ride quality is preserved, and there's enough clearance for 35's... which is my main goal.

Which Borla exhaust did you go with? That's something on my wish list as well.

kmblackbear

Reaction score
For my Rebel, I'm eventually going the Daystar Spacer and Revel Links route. I'm also considering replacing the upper control arms at that time, too. Sounds like a lot of people like the results, ride quality is preserved, and there's enough clearance for 35's... which is my main goal.

Which Borla exhaust did you go with? That's something on my wish list as well.
Yea I would like to go with 35's as well. Winters is here and mud season is upon us in New England lol.

I went with the Borla Atak. I'll take video of both before and after and try my best to document it as closely equal setup as possible.

I think that Borla Atak that was for sale got scooped up.

I'm going to order the Hellwig now so I have it :)

I think by the time I'm ready to do the 4" lift (if I choose to do it) I'll pick up another Hellwig for the lifted version and sell the standard non lifted version on here to someone.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yea I would like to go with 35's as well. Winters is here and mud season is upon us in New England lol.

I went with the Borla Atak. I'll take video of both before and after and try my best to document it as closely equal setup as possible.

I think that Borla Atak that was for sale got scooped up.

I'm going to order the Hellwig now so I have it :)

I think by the time I'm ready to do the 4" lift (if I choose to do it) I'll pick up another Hellwig for the lifted version and sell the standard non lifted version on here to someone.
I like my neighbors so I think the Atak might be a little much! Love the sound, but starting the truck up at 4AM to go fishing with the Atak thundering away might cause some angst. I'm leaning towards the Touring but fear it might not be the much different than stock to justify the cost... so Type S might be just right.

Where in the NE are you? I'm on the South Shore MA. I haven't been able to find a ton of off-roading spots for trucks our size. Most are Jeep trails that even 4-Door Unlimited's find tight, and very technical. For me, that means I really don't need much more than a spacer lift, control arms, and bigger tires to fill out the wheel wells... mainly because there just isn't a lot of terrain readily available to require much more ride height. Plus I have two young kids that need to be able to get in and out of the truck.

The handful of times I've gone out looking for trouble, the truck's stock capability has been more than fine.

kmblackbear

Reaction score
I like my neighbors so I think the Atak might be a little much! Love the sound, but starting the truck up at 4AM to go fishing with the Atak thundering away might cause some angst. I'm leaning towards the Touring but fear it might not be the much different than stock to justify the cost... so Type S might be just right.

Where in the NE are you? I'm on the South Shore MA. I haven't been able to find a ton of off-roading spots for trucks our size. Most are Jeep trails that even 4-Door Unlimited's find tight, and very technical. For me, that means I really don't need much more than a spacer lift, control arms, and bigger tires to fill out the wheel wells... mainly because there just isn't a lot of terrain readily available to require much more ride height. Plus I have two young kids that need to be able to get in and out of the truck.

The handful of times I've gone out looking for trouble, the truck's stock capability has been more than fine.
I'm up in Manchester, NH. Yea I wonder how the neighbors will feel about it, but then again, it's mo different than hearing the neighbors Harley fire up :)

Yea there are a few pit areas local but nothing great but my buddies have some fun trails way up in Maine that I want to try. No kids here just a super short GF lol. I'm sure stock will do fine for most things, but nothing wrong with a lil extra :)

Hsmith5

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I think BDS looks like the way to go for what I'm after. I won't be doing anything wild but some light off-roading, stock would probably suffice but the extra 4" would tackle most of what I'll encounter.

As for that Helwig, would I just get the standard one even for air ride? Is there an install video for it? Also would you recommend upgrading to adjustable control arms too? I saw a few different companies out there had them but wonder if they are much of an upgrade from the OEM ones.

Also thanks for that rebate! I think it said ended Jan 2020 though, but I'll still give it a shot.

I messaged Hellwig last night and asked them which they recommend for mine and if the 2019 is still compatible with the 2020. They replied to go with the lifted version. For my truck it is part number 7883. I’ll probably be ordering it next week and throw it on.

Also I did the rebate online last night and got an email today saying it was approved and a check will be sent out in 8-10 weeks.

kmblackbear

Reaction score
I messaged Hellwig last night and asked them which they recommend for mine and if the 2019 is still compatible with the 2020. They replied to go with the lifted version. For my truck it is part number 7883. I’ll probably be ordering it next week and throw it on.

Also I did the rebate online last night and got an email today saying it was approved and a check will be sent out in 8-10 weeks.
I ordered my Hellwig this AM from Moe's. I ordered the regular non lifted version. Just called Heliwig and they confirmed I would need the stock swaybar with standard lift and air ride. If the truck doesn't have a swaybar for some reason from the factory, then I also need hardware kit - 7961.

Last edited:

Hsmith5

Reaction score
I ordered my Hellwig this AM from Moe's. I ordered the regular non lifted version. Just called Heliwig and they confirmed I would need the stock swaybar with standard lift and air ride. If the truck doesn't have a swaybar for some reason from the factory, then I also need hardware kit - 7961.

What do you think about the Vararam CAI and how long have you had it? I’ve seen mixed reviews and some even saying they had problems with dust and dirt bypassing the filter. I love the look of them, but I also need to see if they are even able to be installed with the eTorque equipped engines.

kmblackbear

Reaction score
What do you think about the Vararam CAI and how long have you had it? I’ve seen mixed reviews and some even saying they had problems with dust and dirt bypassing the filter. I love the look of them, but I also need to see if they are even able to be installed with the eTorque equipped engines.
I dunno if you can get it to work with the etorque. Seems like it might be in the way.

Mine is still sitting in the box. Just got the truck yesterday. I'll probably install sometime later this week. I also found a nice mesh water net for the filter. If it's installed properly I'd be surprised there would be much dust and dirt issues by passing the filter. There is a rubber hose that should seal it properly. Filter seems ok. Where did you hear about the issues?

Hsmith5

Reaction score
I dunno if you can get it to work with the etorque. Seems like it might be in the way.

Mine is still sitting in the box. Just got the truck yesterday. I'll probably install sometime later this week. I also found a nice mesh water net for the filter. If it's installed properly I'd be surprised there would be much dust and dirt issues by passing the filter. There is a rubber hose that should seal it properly. Filter seems ok. Where did you hear about the issues?
It was on one of the forums on this page. The guy posted pics also showing the dirt. But it could have been installed incorrectly. Once you do get it installed and try it out let me know what you think. I’m gonna try and hold off from buying the S&B one if I can. I’m ordering the Hellwig sway bar this week so maybe that will give me my fix of spending money for a little bit.

Users who are viewing this thread