5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Super Low Mileage with 2022 RAM 1500 Limited

Txram1500L

Reaction score
I have a 2022 RAM Limited with the following configuration:
  • 5.7L V8 Hemi VVT eTorque
  • Off-road group
  • 3.92 rear axle ratio
  • Other bells and whistles
I am hardly getting 12 mpg. It does not matter whether I drive in the city or on the highway; it does not change beyond 1 mpg.

I did researched when I ordered the truck and do understand that going with a 3.92 axle ratio is going to impact mileage but not beyond 1 mpg or around. Off-road may impact it further, but I don't know if it would be that extreme to limit the mpg to 12.

I am not an aggressive driver and mostly drive in eco range (no towing) , so I should still be close to optimal. Advertised mileage was between 18 and 22 mpg, but this seems way lower.

I am clueless now about what could be resulting in such poor mileage or if this is in the ballpark of what other people are getting with similar configuration.

Thanks

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
  • Off-road group
  • 3.92 rear axle ratio
I am hardly getting 12 mpg. It does not matter whether I drive in the city or on the highway; it does not change beyond 1 mpg.

I did researched when I ordered the truck and do understand that going with a 3.92 axle ratio is going to impact mileage but not beyond 1 mpg or around. Off-road may impact it further, but I don't know if it would be that extreme to limit the mpg to 12.

I am not an aggressive driver and mostly drive in eco range (no towing) , so I should still be close to optimal. Advertised mileage was between 18 and 22 mpg, but this seems way lower.

I am clueless now about what could be resulting in such poor mileage or if this is in the ballpark of what other people are getting with similar configuration.

Thanks

So many variables to consider. That being said, I barely get 12.3 mpg these days with a Rebel, which has 33" tires, 3.92 axle, no grill shutters or air dam. My driving is mostly city, but very hilly roads & highways in Socal. but unlike yourself, I can get about 15 - 17 mpg when on the highway.

If you can't see more than 1 mpg from city to highway, I would definitely consider bringing it in and having them take a look at it. You should still be under warranty.

dajogejr

Reaction score
One question… are you going off the computer or doing the actual math from fill ups/mileage?
My 15 limited, loaded, with 6’4” bed, without etorque, got better MPG….all the way up to 140K plus miles when I traded it in.
Also had the 3.92 out back.
I was aggressive, city and freeway.. it averaged 14 to 16 with how I drove it.

Reactions: Av1

Cueva del Osos

Reaction score
I have a similar (except off-road) 2019 and avg 18-19 mpg. Based on your screen name, I assume you’re in TX. I avoid Pilot/Flying J and the like as they took my mileage to 13-14. Sam’s 14-15, HEB: 15-16, Valero: 12-13. the ‘premium’ brands have always done better for me: Shell: 19-20, BP: 17-18, Exxon 17-19. I also find a 1/2 tank of HEB and a half tank of Shell gets me a solid 19. These are all mid grade, btw (except Sam’s, which doesn’t have it).

zlman

Reaction score
My truck is configured as yours w/ a topper. Computer says 18.6 mpg lifetime.
I've always used mid grade 89 octane as stated in my manual, 91 octane if 89 wasn't available.
I wouldn't be happy either if my truck was getting the mileage you describe. I would talk to the dealer-service dept and have it looked over.
*Edit to add.....90% of my fuel is bought from a ExxonMobil station local to me, the other 10% is wwhateveris handy while traveling.

Txram1500L

Reaction score
I am in Austin. Always go to same dealership here but not happy with them. They checked multiple times and told me it's all good, so will try different service center.
Tire size = 275/55 R20 (standard all season)
computer never shows more than 13-14 but actually never got more than 12 (based on reading when I full up the tank)
Mostly drive in 2D mode unless I need to switch to 4D.
Mostly city driving but like I said, driving on highway has not shown any improvement (may be at best 12.5 or 13 mpg) even with constant/steady driving from Austin to Houston or Dallas (no traffic, 50-70 MPH)
I have never paid much attention to where I re-fuel and have mostly gone with standard regular.
I will try high octane to see the delta.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
  • Off-road group
  • 3.92 rear axle ratio

Thanks

I assume you’re talking about average mpg? How much city driving do you do? If it’s a lot your average will be lower. Also remote starting, hitting drive thrus, and idling kill mpg

oe542bob

Reaction score
TxRam1500L, although I’m not quite as low as you, this truck, is the worst for mileage than the other 3 Hemi pickups I’ve owned in the past. ( ‘15, ‘16 and an ‘18 ) My dash never gets above the 18 on the dash even when cruising the highway. If I use it for a lot of shorter non highway driving, goes down in the 13-14 range. I’ve done a lot of hand checking the mileage and it usually comes out as being 1 mpg less than what the dash shows.
I ordered this truck and had the option of etorque or with out etorque. Took the etorque, really wish that I had NOT done that.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
That's correct. meant average mpg. typical driving in month is north of 1k-1.5k miles

But What percentage city vs hwy.

Also is everything stock on your truck? Do you have aftermarket wheels and tires, power add ons, etc

85octane

Reaction score
I have a 22 Limited 5.7 non-etorque 3.21 rear that just rolled 10,000 miles and average 15 - 15.5 on my display. About 1mpg lower actually. I only get about 19.5mpg on display on an all highway trip (18.4 actual). It is much lower than I expected as I normally get the stated hwy estimate on everything else I've drove, ever. I'm going to have my alignment checked, but other than that or brakes sticking I'm not sure there's anything else that can be done besides a full engine and transmission tune. It makes no sense my worn-out, under-powered 99 hightop conversion van 318 with 212,000miles gets better mileage than a brand new more aerodynamic truck...

Attachments

• 20240601_121204.jpg
    20240601_121204.jpg
    183.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have a 22 Limited 5.7 non-etorque 3.21 rear that just rolled 10,000 miles and average 15 - 15.5 on my display. About 1mpg lower actually. I only get about 19.5mpg on display on an all highway trip (18.4 actual). It is much lower than I expected as I normally get the stated hwy estimate on everything else I've drove, ever. I'm going to have my alignment checked, but other than that or brakes sticking I'm not sure there's anything else that can be done besides a full engine and transmission tune. It makes no sense my worn-out, under-powered 99 hightop conversion van 318 with 212,000miles gets better mileage than a brand new more aerodynamic truck...
What does your instant mpg say if you set the cruise at 55mph? Mine shows between 22 and 25mpg. Just curious

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
@Txram1500L - I've tracked the mileage on my 2019 Laramie Longhorn with Fuelly since the first fillup. It's loaded (see signature) with everything available at the time except the engine block heater. My payload is only 1069 lb...and this was years before the multi-function tailgate was offered! I have no major modifications. I have a Hellwig rear sway bar, WeatherTech mud flaps, the original Mopar bed step, and a heavy rubber bed mat. Between those items, other gear, and me, the truck is probably within 500-700 lbs of max payload at all times.

We typically spend 8-9 months of the year on Texas highways and city streets, with the balance spent on state highways in Michigan (and a couple of round-trips at 75-80+ mph between MI and TX each year). I tow lightly on occasion - getting the boat in/out of the lake, hauling a motorcycle across DFW, etc.

My lifetime average is 15.2 mpg, with 18.1 mpg as my best-ever tank so far. The few times I've towed cross-country, I've seen 11-12 mpg for a tank. When I spend a whole tank running errands in the city (Fort Worth), I'll probably see 14s. And when I spend all of my time cruising state highways in MI, I'll be in the high 16s to low 18s. At the moment, my tripmeter is showing 18.4 mpg...but it's probably a bit optimistic. We'll see at my next fillup.

Note: At 53k miles, I'm still running the factory Falken Wildpeak A/T3W A's (275/55R20) that came with the ORG. I may replace them as early as this fall, and I'd be happy to go back with the same tire (46 lbs) or the A/T4W (48.3 lbs).

There are always production variances, and it's possible that (1) there's a slight manufacturing defect in your driveline that is within tolerances but prevents optimal economy, (2) you ended up with a "hot" engine (i.e., making a little more power) due to production tolerances working out in your favor (except for economy), or (3) a PCM and TCM reset is needed to "re-learn" driving behaviors and achieve better economy. Whatever the case may be, 12 mpg is low for your configuration (if stock).

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@Txram1500L - I've tracked the mileage on my 2019 Laramie Longhorn with Fuelly since the first fillup. It's loaded (see signature) with everything available at the time except the engine block heater. My payload is only 1069 lb...and this was years before the multi-function tailgate was offered! I have no major modifications. I have a Hellwig rear sway bar, WeatherTech mud flaps, the original Mopar bed step, and a heavy rubber bed mat. Between those items, other gear, and me, the truck is probably within 500-700 lbs of max payload at all times.

We typically spend 8-9 months of the year on Texas highways and city streets, with the balance spent on state highways in Michigan (and a couple of round-trips at 75-80+ mph between MI and TX each year). I tow lightly on occasion - getting the boat in/out of the lake, hauling a motorcycle across DFW, etc.

My lifetime average is 15.2 mpg, with 18.1 mpg as my best-ever tank so far. The few times I've towed cross-country, I've seen 11-12 mpg for a tank. When I spend a whole tank running errands in the city (Fort Worth), I'll probably see 14s. And when I spend all of my time cruising state highways in MI, I'll be in the high 16s to low 18s. At the moment, my tripmeter is showing 18.4 mpg...but it's probably a bit optimistic. We'll see at my next fillup.

Note: At 53k miles, I'm still running the factory Falken Wildpeak A/T3W A's (275/55R20) that came with the ORG. I may replace them as early as this fall, and I'd be happy to go back with the same tire (46 lbs) or the A/T4W (48.3 lbs).

There are always production variances, and it's possible that (1) there's a slight manufacturing defect in your driveline that is within tolerances but prevents optimal economy, (2) you ended up with a "hot" engine (i.e., making a little more power) due to production tolerances working out in your favor (except for economy), or (3) a PCM and TCM reset is needed to "re-learn" driving behaviors and achieve better economy. Whatever the case may be, 12 mpg is low for your configuration (if stock).
I have tracked every fill up (different app) for my Rebel as well. I have bigger AT tires, and the truck is fairly heavy but without E-torque. In about 3850 gallons I've average 15.6mpg hand calc. Truck says about 16. If I can cruise 55-60 getting in and out of ECO on some rolling hills I can average 19-20 per the computer.

There are so many factors to account for. If it's a windy day and I'm driving West I can see a 3-4 mpg drop. Windy day for us is 20mph with 30+ gusts. I know TX is windy too.

Basically every 5mph above 55 (55, 60, 65, 70, 75) drops my mpg by 1 until about 75 where it sits around 15.5 or so.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
There are many factors that effect mileage. If I drive at 55-60, I get 21-22 mpg. I normally drive 75-85, on the freeway, and I get 17-18. Different brands of gas, will effect mileage. A headwind, or a tailwind, effect mileage. Terrain, such as hills, or even road surface, will effect mileage. My drive between my Detroit area residence, and my northern Michigan residence, is about 200 miles, and I always get about 2 mpg better driving south, than I do driving north. I get 12-14 city, because my gas pedal has 2 positions, idle, and go. My combined mileage, because I am retired, and don't do a lot of city, is about 15-16.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yup. 80 mph will kill mpg significantly since these trucks have a lot of drag. The faster you go, the more wind resistance.

Users who are viewing this thread