5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sunroof tint?

RAMTrkGN

Reaction score
I have Xpel on mine.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I had my tinted with same 3m film used on the doors, rear window and windshield

dsbull

Reaction score
Just curious why tiny the roof ? Wouldn’t shade protect you from sun ?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Some people like driving with the shade open. Why have a panoramic sunroof if you are going to keep the shade closed?

BNeal

Reaction score
I was told that stock tint is simply colored glass - no UV deflection value. I had all glass tinted, including sunroof and windshield.

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I tinted mine, not sure of brand but it’s 20%. I can leave it open during the Texas heat and it’s not bad at all

Dr. Cheeseburger

Reaction score
I have my pano roof tinted with 33% ceramic tint. Did it about 3 months ago and love being able to actually open the shade without cooking in the Texas sun. Definitely worth it. I think I paid $125 to get it done FWIW

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had the Air 80 clear windshield tint from Llumar put on the Pano roof

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So those of us in extremely hot areas can have the shade open during sunlight hours. I got 30% ceramic on mine, and the temperature difference is very noticeable. Before the tint I could feel the heat radiating off the shade onto my head when it was closed.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have Wincos ceramic IR on the pano and windshield and Wincos ceramic IR 35 on the rest of the glass. Allows the AC to easily keep up

Majortom

Reaction score
I’m considering tinting the pano so I can tilt-open the roof to vent heat as the brain trust at Ram force the shade to fully open when set to tilt. Every other vehicle I’ve owned that had a sun roof allowed the shade to be adjusted when panel set to tilt open.

Reaction score
I got 3M Ceramic 20% on top of the inperegrinated glass that comes with the pano sunroof. 100% worth every penny. VERY significant heat reduction and ya wont cook your head when ya got the blind open.

Whatever tint you get, make sure you consider the UV and heat rejection characteristics of the tint. UV is what will naturally degrade the plastics and leathers over time and if you have never had quality tint before, the impact of high heat rejection tint will surprise you. As a Florida native, the first thing I get put on is some quality 3M tint, it is worth paying more for the quality stuff.

BigHerm611

Reaction score
I’m considering tinting the pano so I can tilt-open the roof to vent heat as the brain trust at Ram force the shade to fully open when set to tilt. Every other vehicle I’ve owned that had a sun roof allowed the shade to be adjusted when panel set to tilt open.

If I’m understanding what you’re trying to do, with the shade close, just hit the tilt open button. It’ll open the shade halfway then tilt the roof. That’s how mine does on my 2020.
Same thing if you hit open with the shade close. It’ll pull the shade halfway then open the roof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Majortom

Reaction score
If I’m understanding what you’re trying to do, with the shade close, just hit the tilt open button. It’ll open the shade halfway then tilt the roof. That’s how mine does on my 2020.
Same thing if you hit open with the shade close. It’ll pull the shade halfway then open the roof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m actually wanting to open the shade 2-3 inches with the pano tilted open. Particularly when parked. That way heat can vent without direct sunlight continuing to add more heat than if the shade were closed.
Something I’ve done for 30+ years in every other vehicle I’ve owned. I’ve also found that setting to be extra helpful when venting heat during the first few minutes of driving as air pressure will suck the rising heat out the tilted pano.

Klicht87

Reaction score
The shade on my truck stops halfway no matter what I do, Tilt/fully open.

MilehighRam

Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses! I heard (many years ago) that tinting a sunroof will cause it to crack/shatter and that thought just kinda stuck with me. Seeing these threads and doing some more investigating, it turns out that old thought process was flawed.

Majortom

Reaction score
The shade on my truck stops halfway no matter what I do, Tilt/fully open.
Yep. That’s what I dislike. Defeats the reason for tilt IMO. Tilt to vent but more heat comes in since the shade can‘t be opened only a couple inches.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yep. That’s what I dislike. Defeats the reason for tilt IMO. Tilt to vent but more heat comes in since the shade can‘t be opened only a couple inches.
My wife's Traverse is either fully open or fully closed since it's manually opened, and "spring loaded". Not even motorized. And tilt function vents heat just fine with shade open. Just start driving.

Users who are viewing this thread