5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sunroof Lubrication

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What would be a good grease to use on the sunroof tracks/rubber? The sunroof seems a bit slow when sliding open or closed. I used silicone spray on the rubber where the bracket slides along, though it did not seem to make much difference.

Thanks!

jdawgjm

Reaction score
I would use thick silicone grease rather than spray. You can also use white lithium. I used to have a problem finding a good supply but ever since I’ve gotten into Mountain Biking I’ve got a bunch of good stuff to grease up the bikes and my vehicles.

jdawgjm

Reaction score
I have to clarify, thick silicone on seals. Lithium on hinges or in the metal tracks. I still stick to my previous recommendation of tub/tube over spray. Let’s you use more :)

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks, I thought I had some white lithium grease, but I will get some.

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So update on this, I got some white lithium grease and did my best to get the tracks., but on the rear portion of the tracks, there is almost no way of getting grease on them. Maybe if there is a way to remove the rear glass panel then you possibly could have access, not 100% sure about that.

To top it off, my sunroof is gotten so slow and jittery it will stop halfway through closing, ugh! I have to help it along or it won't close :confused:

Very annoying they make it so difficult to service.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So update on this, I got some white lithium grease and did my best to get the tracks., but on the rear portion of the tracks, there is almost no way of getting grease on them. Maybe if there is a way to remove the rear glass panel then you possibly could have access, not 100% sure about that.

To top it off, my sunroof is gotten so slow and jittery it will stop halfway through closing, ugh! I have to help it along or it won't close :confused:

Very annoying they make it so difficult to service.
FWIW, my sunroof does the shuttering when opening and closing, mostly closing though. I tried lubing it a couple times with no change. Took it to dealer before my warranty expires, and they tried lubricating with no help. They say it's binding in the tracks. It's going back Thursday morning and having the sunroof replaced. Which requires removing windshield and rear slider, dropping headliner, and replacing the entire assembly. The sunroof is not serviceable other than replacing the motors.

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FWIW, my sunroof does the shuttering when opening and closing, mostly closing though. I tried lubing it a couple times with no change. Took it to dealer before my warranty expires, and they tried lubricating with no help. They say it's binding in the tracks. It's going back Thursday morning and having the sunroof replaced. Which requires removing windshield and rear slider, dropping headliner, and replacing the entire assembly. The sunroof is not serviceable other than replacing the motors.
FML!

Well I have an appointment on the 30th for the rear window frame being cracked (again) so I will add the sunroof to the list of things.

My warranty will be up at the end of June due time, as I don't have a ton of miles.

That is so crazy that you can not service the tracks with grease/lube what were Ram engineers thinking?

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So the truck is still at the dealer, they called and let me know the new sunroof motors did not help, so they did further diagnosing and they told me the track is warped and the whole frame will need to be replaced.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So the truck is still at the dealer, they called and let me know the new sunroof motors did not help, so they did further diagnosing and they told me the track is warped and the whole frame will need to be replaced.
Should have been first thing they did. Glad my dealer went straight to the frame. It took a couple weeks for the frame to come in because it was back ordered. But they gave me the truck back and let me drive it until the parts arrived.

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Should have been first thing they did. Glad my dealer went straight to the frame. It took a couple weeks for the frame to come in because it was back ordered. But they gave me the truck back and let me drive it until the parts arrived.
They told me it might take a few weeks for the frame to come in, but he said he did a rush order and would have it by Friday. If not, I will pick up the truck and wait until the part arrives.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
They told me it might take a few weeks for the frame to come in, but he said he did a rush order and would have it by Friday. If not, I will pick up the truck and wait until the part arrives.
Once they actually worked on the truck they got it swapped out the same day. Good luck. It's nice having a sunroof that doesn't shake and shudder when closing

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just an update: I got the truck back from the dealer, and they rushed on the job....:confused:

When installing the B pillar trim on the driver's side, they covered up the seat belt...so that was comical, they fixed that before I could leave.

So the next day, I notice the sunshade is very floppy, took me a bit but I figured out it was not in the guides, took me some time but I was actually able to fix it.

The next thing I notice is that the rear portion seems loose/not very tight, could not quite figure out if it was me just imagining it, then I found two bolts in the cup holder......so I think they forgot to install the rear bolts.

Also, the glass alignment is not great, not horrible but it could be better and now I see how it is installed, I think I can easily adjust it.

Very interesting turn of events for sure. At this point, I may never open the sunroof again! :ROFLMAO:

John Galt

Reaction score
Just an update: I got the truck back from the dealer, and they rushed on the job....:confused:

When installing the B pillar trim on the driver's side, they covered up the seat belt...so that was comical, they fixed that before I could leave.

So the next day, I notice the sunshade is very floppy, took me a bit but I figured out it was not in the guides, took me some time but I was actually able to fix it.

The next thing I notice is that the rear portion seems loose/not very tight, could not quite figure out if it was me just imagining it, then I found two bolts in the cup holder......so I think they forgot to install the rear bolts.

Also, the glass alignment is not great, not horrible but it could be better and now I see how it is installed, I think I can easily adjust it.

Very interesting turn of events for sure. At this point, I may never open the sunroof again! :ROFLMAO:
That’s why I ordered mine with no sunroof.

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Between my wife and I we’ve 8 new vehicles with factory sunroofs, and only experienced 2 issues: One blew a fuse while trying to close it. Dealer checked it out, Replaced the fuse, and found nothing else wrong, never happened again. The other had a clogged drain that soaked the headliner, dealer made that right and that problem never reoccurred. I’m knocking on wood that my sunroof luck continues with this Ram.

Users who are viewing this thread