5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suggested $0 Config Changes

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Since Ram appears to be monitoring this site, how about a list of configuration changes that wouldn't cost them or us anything? Might make the factory logistics more interesting but why not give the buyers exactly what they want? We're in the days of high customization, right?

My first two suggestions:
1. On the Longhorn and Limited make a leather-only steering wheel available the way God intended. The wood looks great on the dash but if I could get a heated, leather-only steering wheel (like you can on Laramie) on a Limited, I might even pay extra.
2. Why can't I get BSW tires on the Off-Road package on a Limited? I can see how typical off-roaders want OWL tires but I'd guess more folks buying a Limited would opt for BSW for the look alone. Someone is mounting these tires somewhere.

Any others?

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting thread, I like this idea. My huge gripe was no Laramie Sport or Black packages for Canada but they have been added so I'm happy about that as I'm 75% sure a Laramie Sport will be my next truck.

I would like to see the body color bumper option available on the Longhorn as well, not just the 2 tone Longhorn. I generally am not a fan of the "Western theme" and lean more towards the Limited, but I think they did such a great job with the Longhorn in this generation, especially the Black/Cattle Tan interior that it is a consideration for me this go around. The body color bumpers are obviously available on other trims and for the 5th Gens are the same bumpers across the board so I don't think it would cost them anything to do that.

Flot

Reaction score
I think it is fairly clear that the ordering system isn't intended to produce a custom truck for a customer, it is there for dealers to order various configs so that there's a reasonable bit of choice / price flexibility between packages. I understand this from an efficiency and branding point of view.

It would be an interesting enhancement to allow "sold orders" to customize their truck more than off the lot purchases. Not sure if any of the other truck manufacturers allow that sort of thing - I doubt it. Some luxury brands do. I would expect to pay a premium (say, $500) for customization. They would also have to protect from dealers going out and custom-specing trucks for sale on the lot in cheaper configs, otherwise every shady dealer would be outfitting the cheapest trucks possible to show their bottom line price was lower that someone else's.

I would have ordered a limited if I could have gotten it without air suspension.

I would have paid for a spray in bedliner without the bed rails. (not available on laramie)

I would have liked to choose my own set of wheels from what's available.

I think much of the above would be great - and I imagine we'll get there in 10-15 years as internet shopping takes over the auto world - but don't really think it is practical today.

J

jimh4662@

The good old days were you sat down with a 4 inch think Binder. Choices on outside mirrors, trim option. I mean chrome trim, wheels, tires, 2 or 4 doors, or station wagon. Even 3 or 4 on the floor, or automatic.... That's when you argued with the dealer. No undercoating. I'll buy cans and spray myself... Maybe most of you folks don't remember those days.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Kinda what I did. I went to the dealer they sat me in front of their computer and went on their version of "Build Your Ram" and clicked what options I wanted and walked out the door. Very easy and fun process.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Or like me.... email over what you want and get a POC with your build sent back. Easy peasy.

mikemcfarland

Reaction score
Jared Balfour said:
Interesting thread, I like this idea. My huge gripe was no Laramie Sport or Black packages for Canada but they have been added so I'm happy about that as I'm 75% sure a Laramie Sport will be my next truck.

I would like to see the body color bumper option available on the Longhorn as well, not just the 2 tone Longhorn. I generally am not a fan of the "Western theme" and lean more towards the Limited, but I think they did such a great job with the Longhorn in this generation, especially the Black/Cattle Tan interior that it is a consideration for me this go around. The body color bumpers are obviously available on other trims and for the 5th Gens are the same bumpers across the board so I don't think it would cost them anything to do that.
100% with Jared.the canadian sport package lacked a few things i wanted (off road package + phone charger and a few others etc.) now i can get everything i want with the laramie. $4,000.00 more but i keep my trucks for 4-5years. (purchase -not lease- too many km"s) when i saw the in person the fully loaded limited yesterday, i was blown away-the only thing (other than ramboxes) that would have put me over the edge - would have been the "sport hood."-not available on the limited -yet. not sure how difficult it would be to build the EXACT truck you want. as a note- the pictures of the limited i took, the general confesses from everyone i have shown them to- LOOKS MEAN.i don't see it that way but?

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
mikemcfarland said:
100% with Jared.the canadian sport package lacked a few things i wanted (off road package + phone charger and a few others etc.) now i can get everything i want with the laramie. $4,000.00 more but i keep my trucks for 4-5years. (purchase -not lease- too many km"s) when i saw the in person the fully loaded limited yesterday, i was blown away-the only thing (other than ramboxes) that would have put me over the edge - would have been the "sport hood."-not available on the limited -yet. not sure how difficult it would be to build the EXACT truck you want. as a note- the pictures of the limited i took, the general confesses from everyone i have shown them to- LOOKS MEAN.i don't see it that way but?
They added the sport hood to the 2018 Limited with the Tungsten edition, if that truck was available when I bought my 16 that's what I would have got. I hope they add something like that to the Limited in the future.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How about a "bed cleanout mode" on the air suspension? While parked, tap that and it will drop only the rear end so you can hose out whatever crud is in the bed and have it wash out the back like gravity intended.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Edwards said:
How about a "bed cleanout mode" on the air suspension? While parked, tap that and it will drop only the rear end so you can hose out whatever crud is in the bed and have it wash out the back like gravity intended.
That's a great idea.

Users who are viewing this thread