5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Successfully Enabled OEM Remote Start

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Of course the dealership swore up and down the truck was not capable of having remote start since it did not come from the factory with it. They are truly clueless.
Saying they are clueless, yet you needed them to program your fob... odd to statement

Dealers are very limited on what they can do with the dealer software provided, very few are going to go outside of that. They are trained/taught this from the manufacturer.

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Saying they are clueless, yet you needed them to program your fob... odd to statement

Dealers are very limited on what they can do with the dealer software provided, very few are going to go outside of that. They are trained/taught this from the manufacturer.
I only needed them to program the fob since it’s not possible with Alfa. I wasn’t going to spend $500+ on a key programmer when I only needed one key.

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score

But I’ve had the dealership tell me you can’t put tow mirrors on a 1500….so yes, I’ll stand by my statement of they're clueless

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
But I’ve had the dealership tell me you can’t put tow mirrors on a 1500
Who did you ask? A parts representative, the porter, an oil change tech... so many people to ask.

Yet the clueless dealership programed your key. Why trust them with such a mindless task like that?

A key programmer, you should have just done it, think of the side hustle

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Who did you ask? A parts representative, the porter, an oil change tech... so many people to ask.

Yet the clueless dealership programed your key. Why trust them with such a mindless task like that?

A key programmer, you should have just done it, think of the side hustle
Yes - at the time when I was inquiring about the mirrors (it was a while ago and for one of my 4th gen’s) it was the parts manager at my local dealership. He swore up and down I could not put tow mirrors on my 1500. It would cause all sorts of electrical errors and problems. Now, whether he was just saying all that to make me go away I’ll never know. But even since then, I take anything the dealer says with a grain of salt.

And the key programming, it probably could be a decent side hustle if I had the time for it.

frisby5

Reaction score
That part doesn’t matter. Just gotta have both done for it to all work.
I had to add.the wire harness for tailgate ajar to work. Is there a module for the remote start or is it part of the Bcm or ecm. I do have the button.for the hood ajar

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had to add.the wire harness for tailgate ajar to work. Is there a module for the remote start or is it part of the Bcm or ecm. I do have the button.for the hood ajar
The tailgate ajar should just had to of been activated in Alfa. For the remote start, I'm not sure where it actually triggers from, but if you have the hood latch connector (dash tells you if the hood is ajar) and push button start, your truck is good to go as far as having factory remote start already installed on the truck.

frisby5

Reaction score
The tailgate ajar should just had to of been activated in Alfa. For the remote start, I'm not sure where it actually triggers from, but if you have the hood latch connector (dash tells you if the hood is ajar) and push button start, your truck is good to go as far as having factory remote start already installed on the truck.
Yeah i had to swap the harness and passenger side latch for the tailgate ajar.
I have a Bighorn with bench seat and solid rear window.

frisby5

Reaction score
That’s odd. My dad has the same truck, base 2023 Big horn. I just turned on the tailgate ajar with Alfa and his worked.
Yeah thats what i was worried about wondering if the remote start would work. Jimmy07 would know, i would think.

frisby5

Reaction score
It will - as long as you have the connector with wires at the hood latch and push button start, you’re good.
Im going to talk to the dealer by me and make appt. They did my power tailgate fob , the sales manager is pretty cool i will have him try it ,it cost me $90,pretty sure thats about the going rate for programming the fob

frisby5

Reaction score
Ya that’s about what it was at my local

Ya that’s about what it was at my local dealer
So i ordered the fob and didnt realize i had the fob with remote start i had bought when i did the remote tailgate and had programmed at dealer . So should the remote i have work ? Or do i still have to take back to get programmed for remote start or do i just need to use alpha obd and change settings?
Thx lol i didnt even pay attention to my remote i bought.

Attachments

• 20240306_190740.jpg
    20240306_190740.jpg
    193.9 KB · Views: 3

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So i ordered the fob and didnt realize i had the fob with remote start i had bought when i did the remote tailgate and had programmed at dealer . So should the remote i have work ? Or do i still have to take back to get programmed for remote start or do i just need to use alpha obd and change settings?
Thx lol i didnt even pay attention to my remote i bought.
Yep. Once you get everything turned on with Alfa and the remote is programmed to your truck, you’re good.

frisby5

Reaction score
Yep. Once you get everything turned on with Alfa and the remote is programmed to your truck, you’re good.
So i tried the remote i do have it has the remote start button on it, i inabled remote start in alpha and tried my remote but it didnt work. So i guess the dealer has to program it for remote start, even if i have the feature on the aftermarket fob i had for the power tailgate ... correct ? I thought there would be a off chance it might work

Users who are viewing this thread