5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Successfully Enabled OEM Remote Start

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
With the help of @Jimmy07, we successfully enabled the factory remote start on my dads 2023 Big Horn that did not come factory with it. Of course the dealership swore up and down the truck was not capable of having remote start since it did not come from the factory with it. They are truly clueless. Below are the few steps / things needed to enable yours if you don't have it.

1 - AlfaOBD settings you need to change:

Vehconfig 1: Remote Start Present- YES

CustSetMenu 1: Sound Horn with Remote Start CSM Present- YES

2 - Confirm your truck does have the hood latch connector that tells the truck that hood is open.

3 - Purchase this remote, recommended by @Jimmy07 to be a working aftermarket remote and have it programmed to your truck.

4 - The truck must be driven over 30 mph once everything is activated and the new key is programmed.

That's it - my dad had the key programmed this morning and all works perfectly, even the tailgate open which also he didn't have from the factory. No other pieces were installed or changed. Hope this helps someone in the future.

Last edited:

irishwake63

Reaction score
if you pay for the app you get remote start even though its not on your FOB or window sticker

irishwake63

Reaction score
With the help of @Jimmy07, we successfully enabled the factory remote start on my dads 2023 Big Horn that did not come factory with it. Of course the dealership swore up and down the truck was not capable of having remote start since it did not come from the factory with it. They are truly clueless. Below are the few steps / things needed to enable yours if you don't have it.

2 - Confirm your truck does have the hood latch connector that tells the truck that hood is open.

3 - Purchase this remote, recommended by @Jimmy07 to be a working aftermarket remote and have it programmed to your truck.

That's it - my dad had the key programmed this morning and all works perfect, even the tailgate open which also he didn't have from the factory. No other pieces were installed or changed. Hope this helps someone in the future.
where did you get someone to program the FOB I called a few places and they said they wont program after market FOBs only OEM

marksnotdead

Reaction score

That's it - my dad had the key programmed this morning and all works perfect, even the tailgate open which also he didn't have from the factory. No other pieces were installed or changed. Hope this helps someone in the future.
What is the AlfaOBD settings and how do i access it?

barrybbenson

Reaction score
My 2024 RAM 1500 Bighorn has uconnect 3, I have used Alfaobd and ODB MX+ to update truck after installing trailer brake module gear.

So if I install OEM hardware starter package (no air suspension, no remote tailgate) can I get dealer to update and add remote start?

Can't be DIY using alfaobd?

Looking at OEM kit Genuine Mopar Remote Start Kit - 82216122AE | All Mopar Parts

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240210_074701_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20240210_074701_Drive.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 16

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2024 RAM 1500 Bighorn has uconnect 3, I have used Alfaobd and ODB MX+ to update truck after installing trailer brake module gear.

So if I install OEM hardware starter package (no air suspension, no remote tailgate) can I get dealer to update and add remote start?

Can't be DIY using alfaobd?

Looking at OEM kit Genuine Mopar Remote Start Kit - 82216122AE | All Mopar Parts

Thanks
If you have push button start AND the hood latch connector (you’ll have a light on your dash if your hood is open if so), you already have factory remote start. You simply need to turn the function on via AlfaOBD AND have a new key fob programmed to your truck that has the remote start button.

tcryfp

Reaction score

Hoping you can help. I recently enabled the remote start on my 2023 Rebel that already had the hood latch. Ordered new fobs with the remote start button and tailgate release button. I used the obd genie to update the trucks computer. Everything on the new remotes work except for when I click remote start the horn honks once and nothing happens. Any ideas?

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hoping you can help. I recently enabled the remote start on my 2023 Rebel that already had the hood latch. Ordered new fobs with the remote start button and tailgate release button. I used the obd genie to update the trucks computer. Everything on the new remotes work except for when I click remote start the horn honks once and nothing happens. Any ideas?
Just confirming you had the remotes programmed to the truck? You turned on remote start in your radio settings once you activated it with the programmer? Are you double pressing the remote start button on the fob?

frisby5

Reaction score
So i have the hood latch button on my bighorn and your saying i can just program through Alpha which i have and then a new fob and i can have remote start ? That would be cool because i have remote tailgate

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So i have the hood latch button on my bighorn and your saying i can just program through Alpha which i have and then a new fob and i can have remote start ? That would be cool because i have remote tailgate
Yep. There two settings to enable in Alfa, which I listed above. Then just get a new fob with the remote start button programmed to your truck and you’re good to go. My dad has had zero issues since doing this mod.

frisby5

Reaction score
Yep. There two settings to enable in Alfa, which I listed above. Then just get a new fob with the remote start button programmed to your truck and you’re good to go. My dad has had zero issues since doing this mod.
Thats cool , gonna buy the fob . Had my dealer already programmed my tailgate open fob. Now im gonna have a fob i dont need so if anyone needs a fob with tailgate open i have one lol

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thats cool , gonna buy the fob . Had my dealer already programmed my tailgate open fob. Now im gonna have a fob i dont need so if anyone needs a fob with tailgate open i have one lol
It’ll be useless to anyone else lol. The fobs are one and done. Once programmed to a truck, they can not be reprogrammed to another. Ask me how I know that too lol.

frisby5

Reaction score
Do i
It’ll be useless to anyone else lol. The fobs are one and done. Once programmed to a truck, they can not be reprogrammed to another. Ask me how I know that too lol.
Do i need to program alpha obd first for remote start before i go to dealer to program fob?

Users who are viewing this thread