5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Subwoofer upgrade results?

Decuchi23

Reaction score
I'm running a JL 10TW5-D4 and ya, no comparison to the stock sub. Just have it in a temporary box right now but I'll be after the same thing, passenger side, access to floor boxes. Look at MTI acoustics half box cubby saver. If you're quick I think they still have 20% off for February right now.
I saw they posted a video on that. I like their stuff, but seems a bit pricey for a basic carpeted sealed box. Then again, supplies aren't cheap at all right now. Who knows, I may cave and give in to the convenience of it. I don't know, I have some ideas bouncing around in my head using some space behind the seats. Could probably gain another foot of air space back there.

joemo

Reaction score
How much was the JL box? I assume it's loaded.
14xx with subs.. no amp though. Tbh, it has been so long, I can't remember if I went with 12s or 10s lol. I am hoping it will be in the shop next week for the install.

sppb32

Reaction score
How did you like the single 12? Just wasn't enough for you?
I was used to the big bass systems and it wasn't enough for me, i built that to use wile i was figuring out my options, a new vehicle is more challenging that an older one, an old one you don't mind cutting panels and drill holes drive screws on the sheet metal, cut and splice wires...
This is what i was running before on my 04 GMC Envoy.

Attachments

• 20200211_170611.jpg
    20200211_170611.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 269
  • 20191227_120053.jpg
    20191227_120053.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 269

Decuchi23

Reaction score
I was used to the big bass systems and it wasn't enough for me, i built that to use wile i was figuring out my options, a new vehicle is more challenging that an older one, an old one you don't mind cutting panels and drill holes drive screws on the sheet metal, cut and splice wires...
This is what i was running before on my 04 GMC Envoy.
Yea, way way waaaaay back in the day car audio was my thing. I used to run 2 18's in a s10 blazer. Had no fear of hacking wires and cutting up stuff back then. :LOL:

joemo

Reaction score
WOW! Which subs? TW3's?
Whatever JBL sends. I been out of the stereo loop for a long time. Finally able to get a kick *** system (i.e. bass). My truck has the upgraded audio and has decent bass but I want to rattle some windows in this HOA lol

BrickWurX

Reaction score
I've done a lot of searches on replacing the subs in our trucks. I have the Alpine system and I'm planning to upgrade it this summer. I've seen alot of what and how, but I'm looking to hear more about your results vs the original sub. Single sub? Two subs? What size did you go with? Sealed or ported? Was it significantly louder or deeper? I'm currently debating what I'm going to go with. I've considered everything from a single monster 8 sub like an ultimax ported to a single 12 sealed. I'd prefer to keep the box limited to the passenger side underseat. I still want to have access to the floor bins and would prefer it not to rest on the all weather mats. That eliminates all of the prefab boxes I believe. I'm mostly after SQ, but I do like to crank it up, and feel the music as well as hear it. In the past I've generally gone with sealed boxes, but it's been decades since I've messed around with car audio.

Additionally, I still have an Audison bit Ten, but from what I'm reading the amp pro and DSR1 is where most people are going. Any tips, suggestions, and especially just your general impression of your stereo upgrade is appreciated.

I have the 6 speaker base system, which I replaced all speaker with Infinity Reference series (originally bought Kappa’s but they do not fit in the doors). I may upgrade to Focal later, though so far the infinities sound decent enough.

The Hemi meant I have the ANC under the driver seat. I bought the bypass from Crutchfield and modified it for hi level inputs. Removing the ANC allowed just enough room for two RF amplifiers and an AudioControl LC2i Pro. (Originally I used this only for the sub input, but now everything but the front 3.5’s run through the LC2i to clean up the signal. The power supply was a short run of 7.5 feet, both amps ground at the 10mm ANC frame mounts, and the only wire headed to the rear is a 10awg subwoofer speaker wire.

My first box was a little overkill on the “shiny side”, it was also undersized for the 10” Kicker L7T by about .15sqft. I did not realize the Kicker brand L7 grill cover was 2” thick until the box was built, so no one could actually sit in the space were the folding armrest used to be.

I ended up making another box, milled out internal pockets to hit .58sqft, added polyfill to soften the bass response, and faced the box with neodymium magnets so I could build different covers. For now I have a simple flat matching open cover. I plan to make a permanent cover from the Katzkin folding leather that came with the seat pack; I will build a directional hidden port around the surrounding sides so the sub is not noticeable and the seat is more usable.

Granted, this is only a 10” sub, so it is not a bass machine. But as it is running at 1ohm and matched with an RF amp sending 750 watts, it is surprisingly stout. The point for me, I have lost ZERO internal cab space! (Though I did have to move the entire rear seat forward 1.4”).

Original Box
IMG_0323.JPG

New box
IMG_0423.JPG
IMG_0443.JPG

RichInMN

Reaction score
I have the 6 speaker base system, which I replaced all speaker with Infinity Reference series (originally bought Kappa’s but they do not fit in the doors). I may upgrade to Focal later, though so far the infinities sound decent enough.

The Hemi meant I have the ANC under the driver seat. I bought the bypass from Crutchfield and modified it for hi level inputs. Removing the ANC allowed just enough room for two RF amplifiers and an AudioControl LC2i Pro. (Originally I used this only for the sub input, but now everything but the front 3.5’s run through the LC2i to clean up the signal. The power supply was a short run of 7.5 feet, both amps ground at the 10mm ANC frame mounts, and the only wire headed to the rear is a 10awg subwoofer speaker wire.

My first box was a little overkill on the “shiny side”, it was also undersized for the 10” Kicker L7T by about .15sqft. I did not realize the Kicker brand L7 grill cover was 2” thick until the box was built, so no one could actually sit in the space were the folding armrest used to be.

I ended up making another box, milled out internal pockets to hit .58sqft, added polyfill to soften the bass response, and faced the box with neodymium magnets so I could build different covers. For now I have a simple flat matching open cover. I plan to make a permanent cover from the Katzkin folding leather that came with the seat pack; I will build a directional hidden port around the surrounding sides so the sub is not noticeable and the seat is more usable.

Granted, this is only a 10” sub, so it is not a bass machine. But as it is running at 1ohm and matched with an RF amp sending 750 watts, it is surprisingly stout. The point for me, I have lost ZERO internal cab space! (Though I did have to move the entire rear seat forward 1.4”).

Original Box
View attachment 84160

New box
I really like this install - very unique / looks clean

Decuchi23

Reaction score

Original Box
View attachment 84160

New box
View attachment 84161
View attachment 84162
That's impressive. I've been poking around behind the seats a little. With the seats reclined there's decent amount of space back there.

Quint

Reaction score
So....ahhhh....do people fight over who gets to sit in the middle seat in the back? 🤘

BrickWurX

Reaction score
So....ahhhh....do people fight over who gets to sit in the middle seat in the back? 🤘

I cant remember a time where I've had more than three people in any of my vehicles at once (including myself). But I get your point, it sorta bugs me too. I've made a few alternate covers, four so far. They are each held in place via Neodymium magnets, so easy to swap.

While I do like the newer version below, I've been working on a stealth cover which is padded. This version will vent around the edges of the cover, so indistinguishable from the factory armrest. It even has the same pull tab that the fold down arm rest does. I am trying to figure out a cantilever hinge assembly that will allow the cover to fold up and slide down to create a thin but strong armrest. Sort of like those folding trays in an airplane, powered if possible.

IMG_0467.JPG

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score

Original Box
View attachment 84160

New box
View attachment 84161
View attachment 84162
The revised version looks sick!

Quint

Reaction score
I really meant it. My daughter loves sitting with the sub by her feet. I bet if it was integrated in the backrest, she would want to sit there all of the time!

BrickWurX

Reaction score
I really meant it. My daughter loves sitting with the sub by her feet. I bet if it was integrated in the backrest, she would want to sit there all of the time!
Would really need a padded backrest for that I think. For a 10" sub, the lows are decent, a little sharp & snappy though. Th L7T models do not extrude or push as much air as the others in the Solo line.

Now that I've built two boxes for the same space, I know that I can add a bit more internal box area to achieve more than a cubic foot. I am considering upgrading to the L7S line. Instead of using a single 10" L7T, stacking two 8" L7S subs in a vertically stacked box would fit the space much better. It keeps the same footprint without pressing out the sides (folding armrest is closer to 9x15.5).

The 10" L7T is a 2ohm DVC running on a Rockford Fosgate at 750 watts at 1ohm. The amp is nearly at its lowest setting and drives the sub very hard. Running two 8" 4ohm DVC's would put me back at 1ohm, allowing for better us of the amp, and increasing surface space by 25%. I think it will sound better, and also maybe look better by adding a slight tilt to each sub accounting for the curve in the seat.

2019-Ram-1500-Crew-Leather-Rear_600x.jpg

805myth1

Reaction score
I saw these at mobile toys in college station Texas.

Do you personally know anyone that has a subwoofer setup with multiple 8" like this? Just curious how well the bass is? Also how satisfied are they with it?

Users who are viewing this thread