5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Subwoofer upgrade results?

Decuchi23

Reaction score
I have loathed in recent years to build a proper SQ setup in my next vehicle, and recently picked up a 21 Laramie Quad Cab.
My plan is to run either a pair of 12s or a single 15 IB. I will be using the floor storage boxes as manifolds and mounting the sub(s) to them under the trucks floor. I will need to cut the lids and turn them into grills so the sound comes into the cab as well.

I'm not going to start this any time soon, but I will eventually start it. This will allow.me to keep att of the room under the seats and have amazing sound quality. Though it might not be extremely loud, it should have amazing low end fidelity down to 20hz (and would be capable of going lower if the factory headunit would support it)
That sounds interesting. I've seen blow throughs from the bed to the cab, but never from below the floor. What will the boxe(s) be made of? Have you already mapped out the space? How will you protect it from damage and elements?

Snailpowered

Reaction score
@Decuchi23 - There really doesnt need to be a "Box" per say, just something that can support the weight of the speaker in order to not place all of the speakers weight on to the plastic cubby in the floor, and something to keep water, dirt and dust from damaging the speaker itself.
I plan on using a 1/4" thick plate of aluminum that I will weld or bend at the edges to create a 6-8" deep 5 sized "box". I will cut a hole in the square end to fit the speaker, and will also cut a hole into the floor cubby the same size. I will then sandwich a high density foam between the cubby and plate to make it weather tight. The aluminum "box" will then be supporting itself and the speaker by attaching it to the bottom of the truck (likely with welding tabs onto the floor plan so that I can use isolation bolts to keep unneeded vibrations from transferring to the cab). On the open end of the "Box" (where the magnet of the speaker will be), I will use two pieces of expanded metal to sandwich a hydrophobic membrane, polyester filter (ac duct filter), and natural wool fiber sheet to create a low resistance filter to keep moisture, dirt and dust away from the back of the speaker. This filter will be removeable and will likely need to be cleaned every so often as well, and this way it is serviceable.
If you ever have the chance to hear a true IB (infinite baffle) sub stage in a car, I strongly suggest you take the time out of your day and listen to it... they are very accurate, dig very deep into the 20 Hz range, and have a sound all of their own. Its not for everyone though, as you normally need 2-3x the speaker surface area to get the same SPL as a sealed or ported speaker. Oh, but you only need a fraction of the power compared to an enclosed speaker, because there is nothing "cushioning" or limiting the speakers ability to move.

Hope this helped explain how I plan to go about this.

Laramie150093

Reaction score
I UPGRADED mine
I just installed my colossus amp with my American bass sub in a 3.5 cu ported box and it almost hits like my 2 15’s did😁 I’m afraid I just won’t be happy with the underseat box, I think I’ll just deal with taking my current box in and out when I have rear passengers lol

sparkygreen

Reaction score
I just installed my colossus amp with my American bass sub in a 3.5 cu ported box and it almost hits like my 2 15’s did😁 I’m afraid I just won’t be happy with the underseat box, I think I’ll just deal with taking my current box in and out when I have rear passengers lol
I did that for a while, and there is definitely a part of me that prefers bass over functionality, but eventually I got tired of seeing that big *** box sitting back there all the time.

I was also nervous about going under seat and having a significant loss of bass. On a whim, I just recently ordered the JL Stealthbox with two TW3 10's. I would say its 80% as loud as my single JL 12W7 ported running on the same JL HD 750/1. I find the W7 was loud on just about everything, whereas the Stealthbox is somewhat selective on which frequencies it performs best with, but with the windows open and the right song it surprises me how much bass it makes with two shallow 10's.

I would say its more than loud enough for any average user. As a bass head will it keep me satisfied long term? Maybe, maybe not, but im definitely not disappointed with the decision thus far.

Thanks!

RichInMN

Reaction score
I did that for a while, and there is definitely a part of me that prefers bass over functionality, but eventually I got tired of seeing that big *** box sitting back there all the time.

I was also nervous about going under seat and having a significant loss of bass. On a whim, I just recently ordered the JL Stealthbox with two TW3 10's. I would say its 80% as loud as my single JL 12W7 ported running on the same JL HD 750/1. I find the W7 was loud on just about everything, whereas the Stealthbox is somewhat selective on which frequencies it performs best with, but with the windows open and the right song it surprises me how much bass it makes with two shallow 10's.

I would say its more than loud enough for any average user. As a bass head will it keep me satisfied long term? Maybe, maybe not, but im definitely not disappointed with the decision thus far.

Thanks!
You and I both know that the only answer here ultimately is to get the plasma cutter out and do a blowthrough 😄

sparkygreen

Reaction score
Isn't that the truth. That is definitely the right answer, but then you lose at least 1/3 if not more of the already small bed. Ive probably used the whole bed more times than ive used the backseat so im trying to avoid that route, but it may be inevitable.

Laramie150093

Reaction score
You and I both know that the only answer here ultimately is to get the plasma cutter out and do a blowthrough 😄
I recently purchased a plasma cutter for 100 bucks at a pawnshop, used once only by prior owner! I’ve been debating myself to either cut a port from the cab to the bed and build a box that takes up almost half of the bed for my 15s or buy a leer camper and have the small rear seat window open as a port 😂 I can’t believe I’m considering spending 3500 for what leer quoted me just to get my daily dosage of 33Hz and below 🤣

RichInMN

Reaction score
I recently purchased a plasma cutter for 100 bucks at a pawnshop, used once only by prior owner! I’ve been debating myself to either cut a port from the cab to the bed and build a box that takes up almost half of the bed for my 15s or buy a leer camper and have the small rear seat window open as a port 😂 I can’t believe I’m considering spending 3500 for what leer quoted me just to get my daily dosage of 33Hz and below 🤣
If I were to go the topper route, I think I'd remove the rear window entirely, I considered going that route early on 🤷🏼‍♂️

Having said that, a blowthrough is inevitable for me personally, but probably a few years down the road. That's not stopping me from drawing up plans though!

U

User_63152

Here’s my custom stack fab sub box installed. The floor mat cutout holds the rubber feet of the box perfectly centered. Plus, the sub sounds better downfiring against the floor carpet, rather than the floor mat. Overkill, I know.

Attachments

• FC8292E8-A5D1-42A3-A57E-B229F9F0F2FB.jpeg
    FC8292E8-A5D1-42A3-A57E-B229F9F0F2FB.jpeg
    196.8 KB · Views: 202
  • C6FA550E-7298-4A34-8EC5-4D25A3CEBD19.jpeg
    C6FA550E-7298-4A34-8EC5-4D25A3CEBD19.jpeg
    179 KB · Views: 197

Nick126

Reaction score
I have the 2020 ram 1500 with the Harman kardon system. The sound of the factory sub never really got the robust lows I was looking for. I ended up buying the skar audio custom 10-in sub enclosure built for this pickup. While I was waiting for the subwoofer to arrive I decided to try swapping my factory sub into this box and hooking it up to the factory amp and wow that has got to be the best $127 I've ever spent. What a huge difference that makes just by swapping the factory sub into an aftermarket box and it fits nice and tidy under the seat.

trini_kjt

Reaction score
Here’s my custom stack fab sub box installed. The floor mat cutout holds the rubber feet of the box perfectly centered. Plus, the sub sounds better downfiring against the floor carpet, rather than the floor mat. Overkill, I know.

Do you have any pics of your setup, and did you have to cut any wires?

U

User_63152

I went with something a bit bigger than my first upgrade. Still have the Infinity Reference components in the doors and dash. I went with some Sundown E-10's (they were on sale) and the Sundown SFB-1800.5D amp. These Fox Boxes are very well built and look great. I plan on going for one more (hopefully last) upgrade in a few months. Going to go with the Sundown SALT-1700.5 and some DS18 carbon fiber components. Plus, an EXPERT 6 channel 28 band EQ Bluetooth processor unit to fine tune the entire system. And, a lot more sound deadening material. :ROFLMAO:

output_image1664839194341.JPG

Attachment.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread