5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stuck in 3rd...

psellers01

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has had or heard of this issue. I have a 2019 (5th gen) Ram 1500 Big Horn (Hemi with 8HP75 transmission). After having it for about 8 months, after startup, driving through 3rd gear, when transmission shifts out of 3rd and before 4th, engine rpms increase (feels like it is in neutral) then hard shifts back into 3rd gear and stays in third (MIL lights up). Even coming to a complete stop, putting it in park, then back in drive, it is in 3rd gear. Only way to reset this is to turn off engine, open/close door (to stop acc power), lock/unlock doors, then restart. Taking back to the dealer a third time. 1st time they readjusted the timing of gear shifting, 2nd time they replaced the valve body. Current work around is to get the rpms up pretty high in third gear, then let off the accelerator where most of the time it will go into 4th (and usually 5th shortly after that)... my neighbors are not impressed...
Other transmission problems is that now it will occasionally not engage in reverse, with the camera going on, mirrors fold down, but 'R' starts flashing and can rev up rpms like it is in neutral.
With valve body replaced, not sure what else that it can be (TCM?).

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Exact same issue happened to me at 3000 miles...also a
2019 Bighorn. They replaced the valve body and it’s been perfect ever since (I’m now at 11,000 miles.) Have not had any other issues at all like the other ones you described. Good luck!

turkeybird56

Reaction score
TCM may need to be replaced/reflashed, or time for a Whole New Tranny. I would push for another opinion, get RAM cares involved, and maybe work for a new tranny. Not know how many miles U got on truck, but if U drive a lot, I would not put off. ALL IMHO......

psellers01

Reaction score
TCM may need to be replaced/reflashed, or time for a Whole New Tranny. I would push for another opinion, get RAM cares involved, and maybe work for a new tranny. Not know how many miles U got on truck, but if U drive a lot, I would not put off. ALL IMHO......

Great suggestion, I forgot about Ram Cares. I called them up and they opened a case with all the previous info. At least there is a record of it now. I am definitely going to push for a new tranny at this point.

Maconi

Reaction score
I would say you might have just hit the gear lock button on the steering wheel but that wouldn't cause the other issues.

Betasg

Reaction score
Curious to know if this has been fixed. My 2020 Rebel has been doing the exact same thing. I've dealing with it on and off for 2 months. Already had the valve body replaced and now at a new dealership and they're saying that valve body needs replaced again

leftoutside

Reaction score
Ive been experiencing this exact issue (not shifting out of 3rd gear) for the past 3-4 months. It also only happens just after a cold start. Doesnt seem to happen when engine is warm or Ive taken a trip within 8 hours. There is also a delay in shifting into reverse, at a cold start only, maybe 1-2 seconds, very noticeable and it lurches when it finally does shift into reverse, whereas before it softly shifted. Taking it in tomorrow, hopefully remember to update this....

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ive been experiencing this exact issue (not shifting out of 3rd gear) for the past 3-4 months. It also only happens just after a cold start. Doesnt seem to happen when engine is warm or Ive taken a trip within 8 hours. There is also a delay in shifting into reverse, at a cold start only, maybe 1-2 seconds, very noticeable and it lurches when it finally does shift into reverse, whereas before it softly shifted. Taking it in tomorrow, hopefully remember to update this....
Have you had any fluid leaks under the truck?

leftoutside

Reaction score
Have you had any fluid leaks under the truck?
Sorry for the delay, not getting notifications for replies I guess. No leaks under the truck.

I took it in for a service to look at the tran issue and the exhaust manifolds, but was told IF they could NOT find any problems, Id have to pay for the diag time in shop, probably $300+. Considering the tran shifting issue was sporadic and the unlikelihood of them actually reproducing the problem, and that my manifolds arent making the noise common to that issue, I declined and drove home. Of course, in the weeks following that aborted service appt, the issue with the tran is growing more frequent; every other drive seems it has trouble shifting out of 3rd gear(only sporadic before). I just wish there was a way to get the common problem areas (exhaust, tran, rear window) checked before I exit the tail end of my powertrain warranty. I shouldnt have to pay to make sure everything is fine, especially when these are known issues for many other owners. Im thinking of getting Ram cares involved. I just want it looked at before it gets to be a real serious problem.

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay, not getting notifications for replies I guess. No leaks under the truck.

I took it in for a service to look at the tran issue and the exhaust manifolds, but was told IF they could NOT find any problems, Id have to pay for the diag time in shop, probably $300+. Considering the tran shifting issue was sporadic and the unlikelihood of them actually reproducing the problem, and that my manifolds arent making the noise common to that issue, I declined and drove home. Of course, in the weeks following that aborted service appt, the issue with the tran is growing more frequent; every other drive seems it has trouble shifting out of 3rd gear(only sporadic before). I just wish there was a way to get the common problem areas (exhaust, tran, rear window) checked before I exit the tail end of my powertrain warranty. I shouldnt have to pay to make sure everything is fine, especially when these are known issues for many other owners. Im thinking of getting Ram cares involved. I just want it looked at before it gets to be a real serious problem.
I'd find a different dealer if they want to charge diagnostic fees in a possible warranty issue

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'd find a different dealer if they want to charge diagnostic fees in a possible warranty issue
Almost all of them do that, need to tell them to shove it and then most will back down.
It's stupid as hell, and not the car purchaser's problem if Ram doesn't want to pay techs diag.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Almost all of them do that, need to tell them to shove it and then most will back down.
It's stupid as hell, and not the car purchaser's problem if Ram doesn't want to pay techs diag.
RAM will pay diagnostics, but warranty doesn't pay as well

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
RAM will pay diagnostics, but warranty doesn't pay as well
Someone said they don't pay if it's determined to not be covered under warranty.
Either way warranties issues are not the consumers problems.
If they pay isn't good go work somewhere else.

But this 100% happens to people.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
If it is covered by warranty, Ram will pay diagnostic fees. If not warranty, they don't. The dealer will have you sign for the diagnostic fee, in case it turns out not to be warranty. That's standard with warranty on anything. Send a computer in for repair under warranty, they will tell you it's no charge if warranty, but if the find out it was dropped, you pay for diagnostic.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
If it is covered by warranty, Ram will pay diagnostic fees. If not warranty, they don't. The dealer will have you sign for the diagnostic fee, in case it turns out not to be warranty. That's standard with warranty on anything. Send a computer in for repair under warranty, they will tell you it's no charge if warranty, but if the find out it was dropped, you pay for diagnostic.
That's not how warranties work for computers.

leftoutside

Reaction score
I guess the question becomes then: how do they determine warranty coverage? My truck really is a garage queen, as its a second vehicle. I cant imagine anything Ive used it for that would cause this sort of issue. Stored inside, lightly driven and never used for trailering. I mean, how could it be my fault.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I guess the question becomes then: how do they determine warranty coverage? My truck really is a garage queen, as its a second vehicle. I cant imagine anything Ive used it for that would cause this sort of issue. Stored inside, lightly driven and never used for trailering. I mean, how could it be my fault.
Truck is upset with you for not driving it

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
It's like the court system. You are at fault until proven otherwise. And even then you are at fault until the dealership determines a way to get paid.

CantCatchaBreak

Reaction score
I’m having this issue as well. I just bought 2021 bighorn 2 days ago. It did this exact same thing the next morning when I got in it. The dealership is looking into it. Please tell me you found a fix

jj52786

Reaction score
I had this exact same issue. Occurred about 18,000 mi 2 years ago, would get stuck in third and couldn't get out. Only when the truck was cold. My short-term fix was I would limit the truck transmission is not going past third gear, rev up really high and then allowed to go into 4th and it would get in there. After I got past 3rd the first time and the truck warmed up, no issues at all. If I didn't do that, it would try to go from third to fourth, get stuck and then an error code would pop up and it wouldn't allow me to go past third. They first fixed the valve body, didn't do anything and then they put a whole new transmission in. No problem since, I'm about 36,000 mi. Have a hemi

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online