5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strictly opinion, no wrong answers...

tysmith

Reaction score
Found a Billet Silver 6'4" Limited relatively close to me(1.5 hrs), optioned as I would order with 3.92s, except it has chrome bumpers instead of body colored bumpers. Then there are two trucks at local dealer with body color bumper group in Ivory and black, but both have 3.21 gears.

Question is, because most stock photos are terrible, how does billet silver look with chrome bumpers in person? I do like the ivory and I'm pretty sure 3.21's won't kill me as I mostly ride around empty, but I'm curious what thoughts are on billet silver/chrome bumpers.

Rtl Colorado

Reaction score
I have the Max Steel with the chrome
And I like the chrome on the Bumpers it breaks it up a little.
Not a fan on the chrome trim on the sides of the cab.
There has been some post on the bumper paint chipping so you may research that and if that is true I like the chrome evan more.

BeauxXL1200

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the billet silver with chrome bumpers, etc. I think the chrome blends in well with the silver. But I also like the thrucks with body color bumpers, sport trim, etc.

Gtbrown

Reaction score
I ordered my Silver Limited with color matched bumpers, a lot of my decision was based on the fact color matched bumpers aren't that common. I would be perfectly happy with Chrome.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Found a Billet Silver 6'4" Limited relatively close to me(1.5 hrs), optioned as I would order with 3.92s, except it has chrome bumpers instead of body colored bumpers. Then there are two trucks at local dealer with body color bumper group in Ivory and black, but both have 3.21 gears.

Question is, because most stock photos are terrible, how does billet silver look with chrome bumpers in person? I do like the ivory and I'm pretty sure 3.21's won't kill me as I mostly ride around empty, but I'm curious what thoughts are on billet silver/chrome bumpers.
I have billet + chrome. It seems chrome vs paint is an age "thing". At 63 I'm chrome and bench seat. HOWEVER - the new "Warlock" edition looks really sharp to me in Granite with the black accents. It seems to be a cross between the "classic" and "new" models. One thing I wish I could change is the additional size of the "new". It is 3" wider (not counting the additioanl 3"+ of mirrors) and 8" in length versus my 2001 Dodge 1500. NYC metro area is not conducive to larger vehicles. Check it out: https://www.ramtrucks.com/special-editions/warlock.html. Maybe it will make a decision for you.

Brady_SS

Reaction score
Get what you really want so you won't have any regrets. With that being said, the first RAM that caught my eye was a billet silver limited with chrome bumpers at the Dallas auto show. I bought my Billet Silver truck off the lot with painted bumpers and prefer the painted look, but would have pulled the trigger if they had been chrome.

wwalljr

Reaction score
I have Billet with painted bumpers, grill, and mirrors. I love the look. It’s a little less flashy or eye catching than chrome. I also have brushed aluminum boards that are a little on the dull side...unlike chrome. Which I did on purpose...My last truck(which I loved) was black with chrome everything. I wanted a change.

That said, they look cool with chrome too. Really cool. I don’t think you can go wrong honestly.

tysmith

Reaction score
I appreciate all the response. In my internet search of images, so many of the pics of billet/chrome, you almost can't tell what it is.

If I'm being completely honest with myself, I prefer the painted bumpers on the limited trucks. Seems to be a good balance of paint vs chrome.

My experience tells me chrome will hold up better in the long term, but I also only tend to keep my trucks for 3-4 years. I wish it wasn't 1.5 hrs away so I could put my eyes on it....

Again, thanks for the insight. I usually order, but this time around I'm being more impulsive and want instant gratification.

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Every truck I've ever owned with chrome bumpers had little pits and rust spots on it within 1 - 2 years.. are the painted bumpers susceptible to chips? Of course. That's what touch up paint is for! I personally like the chrome bumpers just fine, it's the chrome grills that I dislike.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have the Big Horn with chrome bumpers only. I think the upper packages with chrome window trim and mirrors look better than just the bumpers. Another factor to consider???

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the Max Steel with the chrome
And I like the chrome on the Bumpers it breaks it up a little.
Not a fan on the chrome trim on the sides of the cab.
There has been some post on the bumper paint chipping so you may research that and if that is true I like the chrome evan more.
I just ordered Max Steel with chrome bumpers. Keep going back and forth, but I think the chrome will pop more. How do you like it. Hard to find good pics of Max and chrome.

klail

Reaction score
I prefer the chrome bumpers to the painted. My Delmonico (red) has the chrome bumpers and I like the contrast between the color and chrome but it is different on a color like silver. Like @BeauxXL1200 said, it blends in nicely. Both look great and I think you'll be happy with any of them. My question would be which of these trucks has the normal mirrors compared to the trailer tow mirrors? THAT is the truck I would get.

PaGregSS

Reaction score
One of my hangups when ordering my truck was that I wanted chrome bumpers, but I wanted a North Edition. I finally conceded and got the North Edition, but I wish I could have gotten the chrome on the front.

Ickabod

Reaction score
I have the billet silver with chrome. I personally prefer the chrome. Makes it look nicer when its detailed.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a Billet Silver Laramie with chrome. While the painted and chrome both look good; I am a fan of chrome. When I was shopping, I literally spent hours walking dealer lots looking at different color combinations (both chrome and painted) to determine what I liked best. In fact, I actually bought a truck that had not been delivered yet because I liked the Billet Silver with the Chrome so much. The chrome doesn't stand out as much on billet silver; it seems to compliment the color. I like mine.

k1kelley

Reaction score
My billet silver limited has the painted bumpers. I'm actually thinking of changing them to chrome. My wife parked my truck in the really large bay of our garage (can park a 32' driving RV in it) and she didn't backup far enough and the garage door scratched the center of the front bumper. So I either need to have it repainted or replace front and back with chrome. Already looked into it and can get front and rear in chrome for about $700.

I like the idea of the chrome, probably because I'm older (51).

doublenichols

Reaction score
I like the chrome bumpers. I know I'm OCD, and over time the painted bumpers (while they do look sharp) collect dings and scratches before any other part of the vehicle does. Then sharp turns ugly real quick! Whenever I've sold in the past, my chrome bumpers still looked showroom.

klail

Reaction score
I like the chrome bumpers. I know I'm OCD, and over time the painted bumpers (while they do look sharp) collect dings and scratches before any other part of the vehicle does. Then sharp turns ugly real quick! Whenever I've sold in the past, my chrome bumpers still looked showroom.
I'm with you on this one. I am afraid the color match bumpers may do what the fender flares are doing in this thread. I have 1k miles and have 1 small chip so far but look at some of the other examples. Geez!!!
https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/check-your-fender-flares.6301/

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 14 had the chrome package. This time around I went with matched color. I just think on this gen that chrome looks dated vs matched color. On the other hand, a friend of mine doesn’t like it and says when he upgrades, chrome for him so it’s really just a personal choice.

Trfnj74

Reaction score
I ordered Granite Crystal with color matched bumpers but I think if I had to do it over I would order the Delmonico Red with the chrome bumpers. I think Delmonico Red, Black and the white look better with chrome then they do with color matched bumpers.

Users who are viewing this thread