5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

strange navigation issue

Pop's Ram

Reaction score
I'm one of those folks that almost always uses Waze, and I usually enter the address I'm going to even if I've been there a hundred times - I figure it helps with traffic, etc. I use Waze in my truck by utilizing Car2Play and Apple CarPlay while my phone is in the wireless charger. Well, something strange has happened to me twice that I know of. I'm driving along, come to a red light or a stop sign, and look over at the screen. Despite being at a dead stop, Waze is still showing me moving - at normal speed for the street! I realize that there is a lag time, sometimes as much as 30 seconds or more. Yesterday, going somewhere new I glanced over at the screen while on a highway and saw it telling me to make a turn. I did only to realize that it was a turn I actually made a minute previously. I will say that for me, Waze is usually very reliable and rarely has me going out of my way and never steers me wrong. But this time, it was off. The one common occurrence I know of between yesterday and the previous time I noticed the lag was that it was on a longer trip, almost 45 minutes to an hour or more long and into my ride. That said, it was way off and I would have had to pull over and "wait" for it to catch up if I realized the lag was present and did not want to get lost. Not very practical, and relies on my noticing that the lag is there.

Anyone else experience this before? Is there a way to "fix it"?

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm one of those folks that almost always uses Waze, and I usually enter the address I'm going to even if I've been there a hundred times - I figure it helps with traffic, etc. I use Waze in my truck by utilizing Car2Play and Apple CarPlay while my phone is in the wireless charger. Well, something strange has happened to me twice that I know of. I'm driving along, come to a red light or a stop sign, and look over at the screen. Despite being at a dead stop, Waze is still showing me moving - at normal speed for the street! I realize that there is a lag time, sometimes as much as 30 seconds or more. Yesterday, going somewhere new I glanced over at the screen while on a highway and saw it telling me to make a turn. I did only to realize that it was a turn I actually made a minute previously. I will say that for me, Waze is usually very reliable and rarely has me going out of my way and never steers me wrong. But this time, it was off. The one common occurrence I know of between yesterday and the previous time I noticed the lag was that it was on a longer trip, almost 45 minutes to an hour or more long and into my ride. That said, it was way off and I would have had to pull over and "wait" for it to catch up if I realized the lag was present and did not want to get lost. Not very practical, and relies on my noticing that the lag is there.

Hello Pop's Ram,

Thank you for grabbing our attention. We have responded to your other post. Please send us a PM, our team would like to look further into this for you.

William
Ram Cares

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I've never used Waze, but I have had other navigation systems over the years have a little lag. Not usually as much as 30 seconds, but lag is not unheard of.
This is why the "maximum speed" displayed on navigators can be unreliable. If it's lagging then gets a current/accurate ping your position can jump forward. Since the navigator is simply calculating speed based on the time it took to cover a distance, it logs a much faster speed.

Anyway, random tangent. As for the issue. Having seen this happen on various navigation systems, I'd say there's not really a good fix. I assume Waze and/or you phone are using 1 or maybe 2 satellites to ping its location. The only way to really get better precision is to use a system that uses more satellites.

For example I first notices similar issues with running watches. They'd track pretty well and do pretty good with monitoring pace. However, there'd be times when my displayed pace didn't match what I was running. Fast forward to my current watch that is using GPS and GLONASS satellites and my paces are spot on.

The problem with GPS tracking it that it's basically playing connect the dots. It will ping your location, wait a given time interval and ping again. It calculates speed and direction on these pings. If you get under heavy tree cover, bridges, etc you lose the signal to the satellite for some of the intended pings and it will lag. If you get too far away from the last known ping location it may have to search for the signal and the lag time will be increased as it searches.

All that to say, there's no fix. It's just the nature of the beast.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just drove through the Smokey Mountain State Park and the factory navigation was able to track me, even though I couldn't connect and add a destination. Waze and Google maps on my phone also couldn't connect to provide me any routes. I was surprised that the factory nav, with no connection, was able to track my path on the roads.

I also recently noticed that my factory nav is just a tracking tool now as I can't enter any addresses at all. I've heard people say that once the subscription ends, you can no longer voice search to a destination. Recently, I can't even manually type an address. It always says "searching offline" and can't find the address. I must've gotten an update that broke the manual entry making y navigation useless. Nothing like paying for a tool that doesn't work.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well that's odd. Unless you've got a ton of miles on your truck, you should still be under warranty. Get that fixed while you still can.
The factory nav will still work without paying extra for the uconnect subscription. The only catch is that you have to pay for updated maps if you want them (which I don't agree with), but you should still be able to enter destinations/searches. I'm no computer wiz or electrician, but it seems like you've got a connection issue, not a software issue since it's saying your off line. I would think that a software issue (ie a bad update) wouldn't try to search at all. Just guessing though.
Either way, it should work without a subscription to anything extra. Mine does, and has on prior FCA vehicles well beyond the free trial periods.

Users who are viewing this thread