5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strange MPG's.........

mayer7196

Reaction score
This is my first Ram truck.

2020 Laramie with 5.7 torque. COMPLETELY bone-stock.

17/22 with overall 19 mpg (Dummy Sticker states anyway).

I drive 75 mph and my mpg is 17. (I am in Florida---completely flat driving)
I drive 65 mph and my mpg is 17.
I drive 45-55 mph (without stopping) and my mpg is 19/20.
I drive in town and my mpg overall for a full day of running errands is about 16.9.

My question---do these things not get better gas mileage on highway than city? My Durango does 23-24 on why, and 17 in town. My old Chevy and Ford did 22 hwy and 17 in town. There was a difference between the two.

Or is the "Current MPG" just **** in the Ram's?

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They cheaped out and had fuel economy done on as few models as possible...The best I ever got with my Laramie non-etorque Hemi was 19.4(hand calculated), I had installed weathertech mudflaps and bug deflector, RB10 running boards and the MOPAR window vents. That was with the OEM Duelers on 20's at max PSI.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Seems pretty low to me. I regularly get 20-21 average, on a 90% highway run...hand calculated.

How many miles on the truck? Any other mechanical issues? Maybe Royalist is joking, but anyone getting 13mpg, or even 17, at 70mph on the highway has something wrong with their truck. Hell, my 2007 GMC 5.3L got better than that all day long.

Only other suggestion I have is to never believe the onboard mpg calculator, always hand-calculate, and do that over several tanks to get a real idea. Mine is always right about 1mpg too optimistic. Maybe your's is further off?

bpwj76

Reaction score
Seems pretty low to me. I regularly get 20-21 average, on a 90% highway run...hand calculated.

How many miles on the truck? Any other mechanical issues? Maybe Royalist is joking, but anyone getting 13mpg, or even 17, at 70mph on the highway has something wrong with their truck. Hell, my 2007 GMC 5.3L got better than that all day long.

Only other suggestion I have is to never believe the onboard mpg calculator, always hand-calculate, and do that over several tanks to get a real idea. Mine is always right about 1mpg too optimistic. Maybe your's is further off?
Right! I never have trusted the computer for MPG. Mine is all over the place. Sometimes it's up to 1 mpg optimistic and I've seen it like .7 mpg the other way.

I'm averaging 17.96 mpg at 75% highway driving. Truck has almost 31k miles now. Window sticker says 19 combined, so I'm happy with it. I have NEVER gotten the 23 mpg on the road that the window sticker says it should... 20.5 mpg was my best tank.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Right! I never have trusted the computer for MPG. Mine is all over the place. Sometimes it's up to 1 mpg optimistic and I've seen it like .7 mpg the other way.

I'm averaging 17.96 mpg at 75% highway driving. Truck has almost 31k miles now. Window sticker says 19 combined, so I'm happy with it. I have NEVER gotten the 23 mpg on the road that the window sticker says it should... 20.5 mpg was my best tank.
Get on the highway doing 55, get it to kick into MDS, reset your mpg, drive 10 miles without getting MDS to turn off. That's how they got the EPA estimate of 23.

Stock Laramie doesn't give much info like others have said. ORP or no? 3.92 gears or no? The faster you get over 65-70 the worse your mileage will get. These trucks push a lot of air. My truck's sweet spot is 60-65, and I get 19 or so at that speed in my leveled Rebel.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
They use an underhanded tatic. The fine print on the sticker states that it's based on a 2wd Tradesman

5thGenLoco

Reaction score
Guaranteed the "estimate" is not done at 75. If I recall, it is done at 55, while taking approx 2 miles to reach that speed. In other words, drive like your grandmother :LOL:

That said, just returned from a 1950 mile round trip and got my best ever of 22.6. 3.21, org, small lift, shell, ave 78 mph.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They use an underhanded tatic. The fine print on the sticker states that it's based on a 2wd Tradesman
AFAIK. They did 2wd and 4wd, with each cab, gear and engine config. And yes it appears they did it all with tradesman trucks which can be quite a bit lighter than heavily optioned trucks.

Also things like Rebel or ORG(1" front level and A/T tires), lift and level kits, running boards and other aftermarket accessories which add to the drag of the truck hurt mileage.

Vinnie.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
at least we are getting miles per gallon and not gallons per mile. it could always be worse!

maybe after your engine breaks in a bit, it'll get better mileage on the highway. 17 seems a bit low.

mayer7196

Reaction score
22k miles, bone stock as in however it came from the factory, is what i have.
No level/lift, Bridgestone duelers that came with it, 20" wheels, 3.92 gears, torque, no ORP..

I could care less about getting great MPG, just wondering if 17 was about average for bone stock, regardless if hwy or in town.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Mines stock and I average 17-18 in mixed driving mainly city and on a recent Dallas to Houston trip I averaged 21 mpg at 73 mph. The return trip netted 22 @ 75 mph.

I have no doubt that if if drove 60-65 mph the truck would get 24-25 mph

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
22k miles, bone stock as in however it came from the factory, is what i have.
No level/lift, Bridgestone duelers that came with it, 20" wheels, 3.92 gears, torque, no ORP..

I could care less about getting great MPG, just wondering if 17 was about average for bone stock, regardless if hwy or in town.
Seems about right for mixed driving, with driving through the suburbs to work I could get around 15. You can check out fuelly to see a good range that people average.
You really can't compare a RAM to a Ford for fuel mileage, especially the in town number...the F-150's curb weight is just a lot less and that has a huge effect on mileage when you're always stop and go.

mayer7196

Reaction score
Seems about right for mixed driving, with driving through the suburbs to work I could get around 15. You can check out fuelly to see a good range that people average.
You really can't compare a RAM to a Ford for fuel mileage, especially the in town number...the F-150's curb weight is just a lot less and that has a huge effect on mileage when you're always stop and go.
I only brought up my previous truck because their "Current MPG" were always pretty accurate. When I was on the HWY with the Chevy or Ford, it would show 24 MPG when i was in the "Current MPG" view.

The "Current MPG" on this Ram never goes above 20 on flat land, even at cruise control at 65 mph....19 at best, but generally around 17.

Just seemed off compared to my other trucks I've had, overall I'm getting 17 MPG and ill take that!

Einstein376

Reaction score
After running regular, I switched to mid-grade to see if the truck noticed. I am seeing a jump in the projected range and about 50 miles more per tank (23 gallon tank). Averaging city and highway is low 17 mpg. Seems to be worth the extra price in fuel.

Jim

MurphBigHorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is my first Ram truck.

2020 Laramie with 5.7 torque. COMPLETELY bone-stock.

17/22 with overall 19 mpg (Dummy Sticker states anyway).

I drive 75 mph and my mpg is 17. (I am in Florida---completely flat driving)
I drive 65 mph and my mpg is 17.
I drive 45-55 mph (without stopping) and my mpg is 19/20.
I drive in town and my mpg overall for a full day of running errands is about 16.9.

My question---do these things not get better gas mileage on highway than city? My Durango does 23-24 on why, and 17 in town. My old Chevy and Ford did 22 hwy and 17 in town. There was a difference between the two.

Or is the "Current MPG" just **** in the Ram's?

Cursing at 55 I can get 22mpg on flat roads. Road trips with 70s mpg on avaeage. I can get 21mpg after full tank. City driving I’m seeing 16.5 ish mpg.

Do you lock out mds? Also I’m not sure how you drive. My wife can never keep car speed steady. Her car she averages 18mpg. When I drive it for a period of time I average 22mph. And I always take off harder then normal people and get up to speed.

bpwj76

Reaction score
Cursing at 55 I can get 22mpg on flat roads. Road trips with 70s mpg on avaeage. I can get 21mpg after full tank. City driving I’m seeing 16.5 ish mpg.

Do you lock out mds? Also I’m not sure how you drive. My wife can never keep car speed steady. Her car she averages 18mpg. When I drive it for a period of time I average 22mph. And I always take off harder then normal people and get up to speed.
I curse at all speeds. Always somebody out there doing something stupid :ROFLMAO:

Users who are viewing this thread