5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Storage tray on top of dash

Bobkid

Reaction score
Anyone seen any good uses/additions for the storage tray on the top of the dash above the radio? Useful real estate, especially with 12 vdc power already supplied.

Not sure what I'd like to see there, maybe a plug&play dash cam, or maybe a small form factor CB radio. All I'm seeing right now is a proclip cell mount, but about the last thing I need is another cell mount option.

Ideas?

1575386845748.png

knightro84

Reaction score
I mounted my Scangauge there. Drilled a small hole to run the OBD cable behind the dash and up to that spot. It's powered via OBD so the 12V outlet is still available for use too.

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
if you didn't mentions it, i would total forgot about that space, now i need to find something so i can put there. :unsure::unsure:

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dashboard Platform Beanbag & Suction Cup Mount for Radar Detector

This heavy weighted Beanbag friction mount has been perfect for the basin on the front dash and I was able to tuck all of the wires underneath.

It has not moved since I placed it there and I live off a curvy road.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I’m in Texas also. Does it seem like the cameras read the toll tag without any problems?
Yep. No issues. In Houston, you must also have the plate number on the account, so if it doesn’t read, they have that as backup.

Bobkid

Reaction score
I’m in Texas also. Does it seem like the cameras read the toll tag without any problems?

The only time I've run into problems with that is the scanners at DFW airport. For some reason they are very picky and if you're using the Tolltag for airport parking, they might not see the tag on your way out and an attendant has to assist.

Cravenfan

Reaction score
I had my EZ pass toll reader in there for a while, then moved it to the dash...need to see if my Garmin Rhino will sit in there...pair of extra glasses, maybe a spare Devil Dog, or Yodel is the urge catches you while driving?

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
I'm waiting for someone with the skills to make an auxiliary switch bank that fits there. Pop the socket out and you not only have a 12V power source handy, but also an easy way to run a bunch of wires through the dash.

And now I got myself curious if that 12V outlet is illuminated.

Tex_Ram

Reaction score
I think it was AEV I spoke to a few months ago and they said they were working on this for the 5th gens.. They have them for the 4th gens
1575660792763.png

MattF

Reaction score
In a "I need a quick google maps nav situation" I place my iPhone horizontally in the slot (which seems designed for a phone). Works great

Matt

varnerme

Reaction score
Yea perfect spot for an EZ Pass

I've just had mine a couple of weeks and was wondering where to put my EZ Pass since the rear view mirror area is largely taken by whatever is behind that plastic housing. Do toll booths pick up your EZ pass sitting on the dash there? Just curious. I haven't tried yet.

Cravenfan

Reaction score
I've just had mine a couple of weeks and was wondering where to put my EZ Pass since the rear view mirror area is largely taken by whatever is behind that plastic housing. Do toll booths pick up your EZ pass sitting on the dash there? Just curious. I haven't tried yet.

Yup, no problem, EZ Pass picked up no problem. I then mounted mine to the right of the camera housing above the rear view mirror area. I don't see the EZ Pass at all.

john94si

Reaction score
Iphone max RAM mount holder.. I actually slide the phone all the way down so it doesn't block the view like it does in the pic IMG_2793.JPG

Wakesnowb

Reaction score
Iphone max RAM mount holder.. I actually slide the phone all the way down so it doesn't block the view like it does in the pic View attachment 41463
These trays have a little slot in the back of them. Perfect for holding most phones in them sideways. Do you think that would be a better way to hold your phone in that general vicinity? I didn't realize that slot was there until the other day.

BoeingBigHorn

Reaction score
Anyone seen any good uses/additions for the storage tray on the top of the dash above the radio? Useful real estate, especially with 12 vdc power already supplied.

Not sure what I'd like to see there, maybe a plug&play dash cam, or maybe a small form factor CB radio. All I'm seeing right now is a proclip cell mount, but about the last thing I need is another cell mount option.

Ideas?

View attachment 41010
I put a small flat cordless charger for my LG phone. Verizon sells it and it fits there just right. But it will not activate the AutoAndroid in this plug.

Users who are viewing this thread