5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stop / Start

Jeremy1974

Reaction score
There is no Auto Stop/Start feature on the 5.7L Hemi without eTorque
See...I know this. I have read countless articles. Shortly after posting this, I found my answer. A guy had me doubting myself. He claimed to have a 2020 Bighorn without eTorque but had the ESS button. I realized WHY he thought that. The 2020's didn't have the blue eTorque badging on the hood. 1643430623199.png

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
See...I know this. I have read countless articles. Shortly after posting this, I found my answer. A guy had me doubting myself. He claimed to have a 2020 Bighorn without eTorque but had the ESS button. I realized WHY he thought that. The 2020's didn't have the blue eTorque badging on the hood. View attachment 118829
Not to offend, but even a cursory glance under the hood would tell you if it had etorque.

Jeremy1974

Reaction score
Not to offend, but even a cursory glance under the hood would tell you if it had etorque.
My whole struggle was it was a poster in a different forum who made the claim then posted a picture of his hood emblems and the shifter knob.
I continually kept telling him there was no way lol. So I eventually posted pictures of what an etorque engine would look like vs non etorque and he stopped responding.

eTorqueCoasting

Reaction score
Hate to resurrect this post, but... How does the Auto Start/Stop feature work in a 2020 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi that is NOT equipped with an eTorque system? I ask because I ran across a truck that has just that set up...
It doesn't. I think some trucks have had the button installed by factory error.

MontFla

Reaction score
At what temp does your start stop work. My 2021 would function at 58 degrees. My new 2022 will not turn off unless the cabin temp is set to a minimum of 68 degrees??

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
At what temp does your start stop work. My 2021 would function at 58 degrees. My new 2022 will not turn off unless the cabin temp is set to a minimum of 68 degrees??
It's not temp dependent. At least not with the ambient air temp outside the cab. It's more dependent on temps inside the cab, and what your HVAC temp is set to. The S/S system gives priority to the HVAC and in-cabin temps. It won't run as much or at all if you have your ac set on Low on a really hot day for example.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score

It's not temp dependent. At least not with the ambient air temp outside the cab. It's more dependent on temps inside the cab, and what your HVAC temp is set to. The S/S system gives priority to the HVAC and in-cabin temps. It won't run as much or at all if you have your ac set on Low on a really hot day for example.
It's winter here in the northern US. My S/S doesn't work until the truck engine is sufficiently warmed either.

MontFla

Reaction score
That is what I am saying in my 2021 I could set the inside two to 58 on notch above low and it worked. In the 2022 the start stop will not work until I set the temp to 69 degrees on the dial. Outside temp not considered

MontFla

Reaction score
When it was hot out I could have the temp set to 58 and fan on anything except hi. On the 2022 it will not function wit the temp set lower than 69 degrees, making it useless on a hot day

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I know they changed some things about how S/S works on the '22 models. And I'm not sure what those changes entail. You might want to discuss this with the service advisor at your dealership if it doesn't seem to be working right.

MontFla

Reaction score
They are clueless and say it is working. Not working as efficiently as the 2021. End of story the SS on the 2022 if they are all like mine… suck. Next time I am away from local dealership I will test drive another 22. They would not drive a different 2022 on their lot saying I already bought a truck from someone else. And there was no chance I would buy their vehicle so no test drive. Next purchase I will not have them in the possibility of purchasing from them

northshoremb

Reaction score
That is a heck of a lot more benefit from the eTorque than just the start/stop system. You should watch the video circulating on this forum about all of the capabilities of eTorque as the start/stop system is minor compared to what the rest of the system offers.

We own two eTorque Rams we purchased over the base 5.7L as the eTorque makes the 5.7L a much better system with smoother starts from a standing stop, smoother shifts, ability to hold ECO mode longer, etc. IMHO eTorque - minutes stop/start - makes for a much more pleasant driving experience. Also, this system has a ton of future potential and I’m betting on the fact there are be a number of aftermarket upgrades in the future that can be added to the eTorque system...

I just bought Etorque model few days ago so took it today on a 650km first ride. I will say I'm 100% happy for the Etorque over my original 2015 Hemi. The Etorque does help MDS at certain speeds cause I would go Mike's trough small towns at 67-78km/hr on cruise and have MDS on 90% of the time and showing 28-36mpg whole time. On my 2015 I'd be lucky to have MDS on 10 seconds straight and if I did wouldn't even notice MPG gain while watching lifetime fuel usage. Also this stop start doesn't happen all the time as it won't work if you have the Air seats on high or AC on mid high cause of the drain. But when it was doing stop start I loved how it actually shut off motor before at full stop and the Torque when starts back up is crazy due to the extra 130lb-ft it gives. All I know is this engine is way better than the non Etorque motor for fuel and starting takeoff

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I just bought Etorque model few days ago so took it today on a 650km first ride. I will say I'm 100% happy for the Etorque over my original 2015 Hemi. The Etorque does help MDS at certain speeds cause I would go Mike's trough small towns at 67-78km/hr on cruise and have MDS on 90% of the time and showing 28-36mpg whole time. On my 2015 I'd be lucky to have MDS on 10 seconds straight and if I did wouldn't even notice MPG gain while watching lifetime fuel usage. Also this stop start doesn't happen all the time as it won't work if you have the Air seats on high or AC on mid high cause of the drain. But when it was doing stop start I loved how it actually shut off motor before at full stop and the Torque when starts back up is crazy due to the extra 130lb-ft it gives. All I know is this engine is way better than the non Etorque motor for fuel and starting takeoff
MDS is not a feature of affected by Etorque. The extra torque is also not added to the gas engine, it's the first half wheel turn while the gas engine is turning on then the torque is gone when the gas engine is on.

Truck weight and gearing seems to affect MDS the most, and some trucks work better then others with it even of the same trim for some reason.
The start-stop is very smooth with the OEM exhaust if you are able to excersise it at stop lights, don't get an after market exhaust or start-stop becomes weird at every stop.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
The main feature of etorque is using the generator/motor to start the truck up from a stop instead of using the engine starter. The 130lb ft of torque isn’t something that’s gonna make you accelerate harder. It just gets the truck rolling for 2 ft while the engine is starting back up. It’s not in addition to the engine’s torque specs.

And correct, MDS has nothing to do with etorque. Two completely separate systems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/