5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stop and go shudder/vibration

Lotteryhornet

Reaction score
I was able to get the shudder to happen a few times yesterday. What I think is happening is that it isn't coming out of eco mode so I am basically accelerating with only half the motor, at low speed, in a high gear (3rd, 4th, or 5th) making it bog down.
Been reading all sorts of posts, yours is what I am experiencing in my 2020 bighorn 5.7 etorque 3:21 rear 5'7 bed. I don't have eco mode, though. Started about 4500 miles and still doing it at 8500, does it at low rpm 1100-1300. Shutter like disruption of power. Happens most noticeable in 3,4,5,6, 40 mph and under. Comes and goes. But if you give a little more throttle and it down shifts it stops. There's no problem like a lot others comment with bumps or clunks in stop start or hard up shifts or down shifts, its this shudder disruption of power. Also if it does it say in 5 gear and it's shuddering and you hit the gear limit button to hold it in 5th it will quit. What became of your problem? Been watching for follow up

DemonRam

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie 5.7 Hemi crew cab short bed 4WD. Only has 5,600 miles on it. It has been having a brake vibration/shake like others here have described, that it feels as if it’s taking off in too high of a gear. Only does it when light brake pressure is applied, either coming to a stop or letting off the brakes slowly. The whole truck is shaking/vibrating, not just the brake pedal or steering wheel. It has done this since almost new, maybe a couple hundred miles on the truck when it started. Took it to the dealer Wednesday, had them drive it around in the parking lot, of course, it only shook at about 10% of what it usually does. They held on to it until today (Monday), called and said they couldn’t replicate the problem. Took them for a ride in it and yet again, only 10% of the usual shake. Took it back home and started doing slow back and forths in the driveway.. tried 4W auto, 2WD and 4 High.. oddly enough it only did the aggressive shake in 4 high this time. Has anyone else with this issue noticed that theirs only does it in 4 High?

Last edited:

DemonRam

Reaction score
Update: Shut off eco mode, no more shakes. Anyone know if RAM has a reflash for eco mode?

Reaction score
New to the group and somewhat glad to see I am not the only person with this issue. Bought my CPO 2020 RAM last week and noticed this issue pretty early on. Taking it into the shop in 2 weeks and will see what they do, I can't get it to do it repeatedly, but it definitely does it at least once or twice per trip.

I have 3.92/limited slip with 19k on it

Looks like some of the "fixes" were:
New driveshaft
New differential
Anything else?

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I haven’t notice this issue yet, but watching this thread just in case 🤞🏻

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
New to the group and somewhat glad to see I am not the only person with this issue. Bought my CPO 2020 RAM last week and noticed this issue pretty early on. Taking it into the shop in 2 weeks and will see what they do, I can't get it to do it repeatedly, but it definitely does it at least once or twice per trip.

I have 3.92/limited slip with 19k on it

Looks like some of the "fixes" were:
New driveshaft
New differential
Anything else?
They tried rack and pinion and front axles on my 19 with no fix! Good luck!

Reaction score
I've got a 2020 1500 laramie with less than 500 miles and I've started to notice it shuddering when I take off from a stop occasionally. Like it's starting in 4th or 5th gear instead of first
Hey all. Has anybody come across a resolution or reason for the Shutterfly vibration?
Approaching 10 K on the truck and it hasn’t gone away. Nobody seems to know what’s causing it or how to fix?

kbeaton2

Reaction score
Hey All,

Hope I can describe this in the best way, and someone can help out here. I bought a used 2019 ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 short box, truck had 27k on it when I picked it up. After about 1k miles, truck started to vibrate in 20-32 range, and 54-66 miles. After another week I could feel the vibration in other speeds as well. To get me back on the road the swapped my tires and rims from another ram on the lot (same rims and factory tires) vibration for the most part went away for 4-5 days, then I could feel it coming back again in the same way (note all these sets for road forced) They said my original tires couldn’t balance, so they bought me new hankook AT2 tires and installed them back on my original rims that sat on the donor truck for 2 weeks. Again after 4-5 days the truck shakes. After 2 weeks you can feel it when driving soft and accelerating slowly (in my feet, pedals, seat and some time when my arms on the center arm rest.

not sure when when new/ used balanced tires get installed it stops. But the tires on my truck when installed back on the donor truck, no shakes or vibration. Anyone see something like this before?

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey I have a shake in my CPO 2019 and just starting the process of getting it fixed. Did you ever find what it was?
I believe it was bad rims, however dealer stated they swapped them out a few times with no fix🤷🏻‍♂️ My 19 was bought back under the lemon law! I had same issues they would rebalance and within 200-300 miles it was out of balance again😩

kbeaton2

Reaction score
I have the same problem, out of balance after 200-300 miles. And the shake gets worse and worse. But I got this thing used. Not sure if I can get a lemon law for used.

Notsoldonram

Reaction score
Same problem here. 2021 ram 1500 laramie with 13k miles. With stock 20” rims and have had bfgoodrich KO2’s(two brand new sets) and now have Goodyear ultraterrains. All factory size 275/55r20. Just all terrains. But my truck bounces and shakes 35-45 mph and roughly about 60-65mph it starts as a constant vibration and doesn’t stop the faster you go. Tires have been balanced a dozen times and alignment checked 5 times. Been to dealer numerous times and they say it’s cause of the bigger tread on the new tires. (Even though I’ve had these tires on five other trucks with no shaking or vibration)So about two months into fighting this vibration and shaking steering wheel. I am losing my mind. So spending another 700$ on new factory highway dueler tires. Getting them installed on august 17th. If the truck still shakes it will be back to full stock and I will be leaving it at the dealer till it is fixed. Keep everyone posted. Very very unhappy with my ram purchase. First ram ever. Will probably never buy another one again.

Efriday

Reaction score
Just picked up my 2021 5.7 eTorque RAM Longhorn. Only shutter/vibration I've noticed is just when the engine shuts off at a stoplight. Launch from being stopped is smooth as silk.
Driving on the Interstate is smooth - no vibration at any speed.
Happy after 300 miles.

Croaker

Reaction score
Two piece drive shaft is potentially causing a lot of this. FORD has the same design and vibrates as well.

Tires most likely NOT the issue.
Bingo !

I know this is an old thread, but I want to thank Greg for this answer. I did not know these trucks had two piece driveshafts. I previously owned a Toyota with a two piece axle and it vibrated badly when torque was applied.
I have recently noticed that the vibration changes when carrying a load, so this explanation makes a lot of sense. 👍🏻

So this slow backing up with wheels turned, low RPM, under load going uphill vibration may be simply due to the two piece driveshaft.

Did the 2017’s have a two piece driveshaft?

Last edited:

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Bingo !

I know this is an old thread, but I want to thank Greg for this answer. I did not know these trucks had two piece axles. I previously owned a Toyota with a two piece axle and it vibrated badly when torque was applied.
I have recently noticed that the vibration changes when carrying a load, so this explanation makes a lot of sense. 👍🏻

So this slow backing up with wheels turned, low RPM, under load going uphill vibration may be simply due to the two piece driveshaft.

Did the 2017’s have a two piece driveshaft?
Could be multiple things, the dealer said they put a new driveshaft on mine with no fix🤷🏻‍♂️ Or the new driveshaft was also bad? Good luck with your fix!

Croaker

Reaction score
Could be multiple things, the dealer said they put a new driveshaft on mine with no fix🤷🏻‍♂️ Or the new driveshaft was also bad? Good luck with your fix!
I don't think replacing the driveshaft would remedy the vibration if it is caused because the driveshaft is two-piece. As I mentioned above, I had a Toyota Prerunner witha two piece driveshaft. The Toyota service people said it was supposedly just normal vibration caused by the driveshaft when under load. In the case of The Toyota TRD, the two-piece driveshaft design was for ground clearance.

And you are right....could be other things ?.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread