5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stock stereo - any reviews?

habfan

Reaction score
Any one got an opinion of the stock stereo? Vs the alpine 9 speaker? Just looking for some opinions or how good or bad it is.

jamesfg

Reaction score
My bestie is a audio guru and I had him listen to the system in the Longhorn we almost bought. He highly recommended the 1st mod before replacing any speakers or upgrades would be to put some Dynomat or equivalent sound deadening material in the doors. Now he listened to the "Alpine" stereo and also suggested to sound deaden the doors too. So that is on the agenda for tomorrow.

alow

Reaction score
I have the stock stereo and its just fine for me. I listen to alot of talk radio, podcasts and sports though. When I run music through it, it sounds really good to my ear. I guess it all depends on what you are looking for. I'm more of a quality guy than a loud guy so if you like a loud stereo I cant give you a good opinion. I'm coming from a Bose system in my old truck and have reference headphones so I've heard more than stock sound.

Davidmurphy02

Reaction score
Stock stereo is fine for me. Before I ordered we looked at trucks with the stock stereo and with the Alpine w/subwoofer, listened to both, decided that the stock was OK.

WRH

Reaction score
I would have been happy with the 9 speaker system (heard at dealer), but the truck I bought was stock. They just didn't have a build I wanted with that 9 speaker or I would have gone that route. I must say, for a stock system it isn't bad. Not good enough for me though--I'm in the middle of researching/upgrading now (which is tough because the truck is so new and products to interface with the truck electronics are few and full of bugs).

RT70808

Reaction score
I have the 9 speaker alpine and found it “tinny” so I adjusted the eq. I have not readjusted since the latest UConnect update.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Alpine sounds great to my ears. I listen to talk radio (AM), podcasts, and Pandora & XM. I'm not an audiophile though.

WRH

Reaction score
Here's a pic of the stock speaker. I don't know what it is rated watt wise. Not even sure if it's 2 or 4 ohm. I've never been a fan of just replacing stock speakers and not throwing an amp in there. I've heard some people say they've improved a system that way, but I can't imagine it's much of a difference when compared to the impact of an amp in the mix.

Attachments

• 20180718_001007992_iOS.jpg
    20180718_001007992_iOS.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 115

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Alpine is not the stock radio. Who makes the stock radio? What type of speakers are in stock radio system should they ever need to be replaced?
Does stock system have an amp under a seat?

Well... it is stock in the Limited... :)

WRH

Reaction score
Yes, there is an amp in the base 6 speaker system. Here is a pic.

Attachments

• 20180709_165312788_iOS.jpg
    20180709_165312788_iOS.jpg
    381.5 KB · Views: 140

bobby11210

Reaction score
Here's a pic of the stock speaker. I don't know what it is rated watt wise. Not even sure if it's 2 or 4 ohm. I've never been a fan of just replacing stock speakers and not throwing an amp in there. I've heard some people say they've improved a system that way, but I can't imagine it's much of a difference when compared to the impact of an amp in the mix.
Are those 6x9 in the front and rear doors of the crew cab? Did you ever find out if the rest of the speakers are what ohms?

WRH

Reaction score
Yes, front and rear are the same 6x9 speaker. I'm not sure what they are rated ohm-wise.

WRH

Reaction score
Anyone have the steps for taking the front door panels off the 2019's?

Somebody posted a write up that I used. It's in one of the stereo chats as an attachment. If I get time I'll try and find it. Basically remove the cover plates and the two screws behind them (one is behind the handle). Then start at the bottom and pull out to snap off the connectors. I was sure I was going to break something when I removed mine... I've had each door off 3 times during the process and haven't yet. I'm sure if I keep at it though, it'll happen. It strains them pretty hard.

Yedi

Reaction score
My bestie is a audio guru and I had him listen to the system in the Longhorn we almost bought. He highly recommended the 1st mod before replacing any speakers or upgrades would be to put some Dynomat or equivalent sound deadening material in the doors. Now he listened to the "Alpine" stereo and also suggested to sound deaden the doors too. So that is on the agenda for tomorrow.

Totally agree with your buddy. This system needs deadening material inside the doors and the trim panels.

This weekend I'm taking all 4 doors apart and spraying inner panel rust proofing in the bottom seams, and applying "Kilmat 80 mil" dynamat material all inside the doors and trim panels. Also planning on stuffing the sub enclosure and applying Kilmat on the back of the cab/floor.

I will do a full write up with pics when it's done. I feel there is a lot left in the Alpine System, just the rattles in the plastic make it sound alot worse.

S

Smashy71

Any one got an opinion of the stock stereo? Vs the alpine 9 speaker? Just looking for some opinions or how good or bad it is.

I have the stock setup and I think it sounds very good. Clear and loud almost too loud.

SacRebel

Reaction score
Personally I think the stock 6-speaker system sounds muddy. Now granted I came from having an Alpine head, amp and Kicker speakers in my '04 Ram so this system is no comparison in sound quality.

I wanted the 9-speaker upgrade but couldn't find it in the available trucks that had the features I wanted. I figure I'll look into adding an amp and changing out the speakers in the future, but for now it is fine.

Troop2865

Reaction score
I have the stock system, and I also think it sounds good. It has plenty of bass and volume for me. I am sure if you were one who really likes to crank up the stereo, a more expensive system might be in order. I think it is better than many stock systems I have had in other vehicles.

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
im a older guy and so are my friends who ride in it with me.they wouldnt know a "polk audio"from the "Polka".now of i was a much younger guy... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread