5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stock Speakers?

upstatesc91

Reaction score
Purchased a 2021 Big Horn w/ stock speakers. Surprisingly, they are not terrible but I am curious what brand they are before considering an upgrade? I know Alpine is on the list as Ram offers.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I switched my dash speakers to Infinity 3032s. Night and day difference. Stock speakers are pretty terrible though.
The factory ones did not have any sort of branding except the Chrysler logo and big fat made in china lettering. :LOL:

1620067123604.jpeg

fartsonunicorns

Reaction score
Pretty sure the base speakers are still made by alpine. And if you power them with a 4 way amp they actually sound pretty good.

Rockford Fosgate is my preferred brand, but most name brand speakers are gonna be good. If you wanna just replace the speakers and not add an amp, look for high sensitivity. And I would recommend 6 1/2 speakers and an adapter ring over 6x9s

2020 Big Horn Quad Cab 4x4
De-badged and chrome delete
Rockford Fosgate P600x4 pushing stock 6 speakers, P1000x1bd pushing two 10” subs

U

User_63152

I switched my dash speakers to Infinity 3032s. Night and day difference. Stock speakers are pretty terrible though.
The factory ones did not have any sort of branding except the Chrysler logo and big fat made in china lettering. :LOL:

View attachment 92205
Did it affect your ANC?

Infinity Reference speakers are very nice.

Personally, I think the stock base 6 speaker system sounds pretty good. Of all the vehicles I have had, My 2021 Ram stock system sounds the best, by far. Including my 2018 JGC with the "premium" 9 speaker system. Absolute garbage.

I upgraded and spent a lot of money on my 2018 JGC. And that had the "premium" system. Hardly... $3000+ later, was it really better? Maybe a little clearer and more low end bass. It definitely had more adjustability. Especially with a DSP. But, I could not justify doing it again. It wasn't really worth it to me.

I took all of the aftermarket stuff out before I traded it in and am trying to sell it.

Check the buy/sell/trade section, if anyone's interested. (y)

Last edited by a moderator:

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you have Alpine 9-speaker audio then they are probably some level of Alpine. Probably not what you can buy at the store but most likely something that is directly supplied to the auto manufacturer.

If you have the base 6-speaker audio then who knows what they are. All I know is that my dash speakers were made in Mexico.

If you have a week with nothing to do here's "the thread" on the subject:

If you have the base 6-speaker audio here a thread just on that system:

As bluearcade71 said, I think the base 6-speaker is pretty good. I replaced my dash speakers with faitalPRO 3.5" 8 ohm speakers and am happy with the results. The only other thing I'd want to do is add a subwoofer but that's more invasive than I want to do at this point.

For reference the base 6-speaker audio dash speakers are 8 ohms and the doors are 2 ohms. The dash speakers are in parallel with the front door speakers so any speakers you change outside those resistance/impedance values will alter the sound balance. Some people like that and some don't.

The amplified systems (Alpine and Harmon/Kardon) are 2 ohm dash speakers on their own channel so aren't as affected with changes in specs.

U

User_63152

If you have Alpine 9-speaker audio then they are probably some level of Alpine. Probably not what you can buy at the store but most likely something that is directly supplied to the auto manufacturer.

If you have the base 6-speaker audio then who knows what they are. All I know is that my dash speakers were made in Mexico.

If you have a week with nothing to do here's "the thread" on the subject:

If you have the base 6-speaker audio here a thread just on that system:

As bluearcade71 said, I think the base 6-speaker is pretty good. I replaced my dash speakers with faitalPRO 3.5" 8 ohm speakers and am happy with the results. The only other thing I'd want to do is add a subwoofer but that's more invasive than I want to do at this point.

For reference the base 6-speaker audio dash speakers are 8 ohms and the doors are 2 ohms. The dash speakers are in parallel with the front door speakers so any speakers you change outside those resistance/impedance values will alter the sound balance. Some people like that and some don't.

The amplified systems (Alpine and Harmon/Kardon) are 2 ohm dash speakers on their own channel so aren't as affected with changes in specs.
You just replaced the dash speakers? No ANC issues?

I might add my Sundown SD-4 10'' Sub sometime in the future.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No issues.

I think the ANC only goes to the doors which is why so many have jumped on improving just the dash speakers. They won't have any affect other than sound, balance, and staging.

U

User_63152

No issues.

I think the ANC only goes to the doors which is why so many have jumped on improving just the dash speakers. They won't have any affect other than sound, balance, and staging.
Where did you get those FaitalPRO 3.5" 8 ohm? Is there any modification involved?

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got the speakers from Amazon (faitalPRO 3FE22-8): https://www.amazon.com/Faital-3FE22-Range-Woofer-Speaker/dp/B00W46QWHI

I have also read of people getting them through Parts Express: https://www.parts-express.com/FaitalPRO-3FE22-3-Neodymium-Professional-Woofer-8-Ohm-294-1101

I got the bassblockers from Crutchfield: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_007BB600/Crutchfield-Bass-Blockers-600-Hz-cut-off.html

I got the 007BB600 ones because they cut off at 300Hz @ 8 ohms.

The base audio has a passive filter (aka cutoff aka bassblocker) on the dash speaker so you will want to put a blocker on the faitalPRO speaker that does not have one. Most that decided to forego a filter have gone back and installed a bassblocker on them.

You will have to do some modification to the mounting tabs to be able to use the factory mounting location. Pictures are in both of the threads I posted above but there are some good ones to use for reference in the 6-speaker audio thread I linked in post #5. Nothing too major and can easily be done with a Dremel/rotary tool but check it out before you buy.

If you are looking for a direct-fit speaker the faitalPRO is not for you. I'm not sure what direct-fit options are out there for an 8-ohm dash speaker as most I see are 4-, 3-, and 2-ohm.

I already had a rotary tool so that was not an issue for me and I was very satisfied after an afternoon of grinding on the speaker cages.

Last edited:

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i followed what the "gang"here recommend."Infinity"3.5. i have the "Alpine"system.but the speakers are not.they just say "Mopar".i was lucky my brother had and extra 3.5 kappa that he gave me that i use in the center speaker in the dash (y)

Attachments

• 20210330_135946.jpg
    20210330_135946.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 59
  • 20210330_140006.jpg
    20210330_140006.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 59

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i have the "Alpine"system.but the speakers are not.they just say "Mopar".
They could still be Alpine speakers that are specifically built for RAM. I'm pretty sure that RAM is not going to use the top-of-the-line Alpine speakers for mass production trucks. If it says Alpine and it has enough components to legally use the word 'Alpine' then people will buy it.

It's the same as Under Armor. Do you think that the Under Armour shirt you buy on their website (most expensive) is the same as the Under Armour shirt you buy at XXX Sporting Goods (same price only because of the profit margin for the store) is the same Under Armour shirt you buy at Wal-Mart (cheapest)? Nope.

Last edited:

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
i followed what the "gang"here recommend."Infinity"3.5. i have the "Alpine"system.but the speakers are not.they just say "Mopar".i was lucky my brother had and extra 3.5 kappa that he gave me that i use in the center speaker in the dash (y)
Ok, so dating myself here. Speak N' Spell has a better speaker than what come in our trucks...

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The could still be Alpine speakers that are specifically built for RAM. I'm pretty sure that RAM is not going to use the top-of-the-line Alpine speakers for mass production trucks. If it says Alpine and it has enough components to legally use the word 'Alpine' then people will buy it.

It's the same as Under Armor. Do you think that the Under Armor shirt you buy on their website (most expensive) is the same as the Under Armor shirt you buy at XXX Sporting Goods (same price only because of the profit margin for the store) is the same Under Armor shirt you buy at Wal-Mart (cheapest)? Nope.
yes that could be true (y) ...but i still aint leaving those cheap speakers in my truck;):LOL:

Attachments

• 20210330_135914.jpg
    20210330_135914.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 25

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score

View attachment 92205
i did the same. you can see the difference 😲

Attachments

• 20210330_140006.jpg
    20210330_140006.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 20210330_135946.jpg
    20210330_135946.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 27

Kone

Reaction score
Just so happens I ordered my FaitalPROs and fixins just this morning. I dont have a hand grinder, will a bench grinder or a hand Dremel work?

Ramjack

Reaction score
Just so happens I ordered my FaitalPROs and fixins just this morning. I dont have a hand grinder, will a bench grinder or a hand Dremel work?
Probably. But if not, you can likely get at least one use out of one of these. Just be sure to wear eye protection in case it flies apart in your face:

If you're willing to spend $30-$40 for their "Bauer" line, your life may be in less danger.

Ramjack

Reaction score
So this works okay even though the OEM dash speakers are 8-ohm and the Infinity 3032's are 3-ohm? I know virtually nothing about stereo systems so please type slowly.

ramButz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So this works okay even though the OEM dash speakers are 8-ohm and the Infinity 3032's are 3-ohm? I know virtually nothing about stereo systems so please type slowly.
what i have read here they are 3.5 ohm.believe me it changes everytime i come here.but from the jump start in 2019 when the new ram came out it was that.and that is what im using.these speakers run off the stock amp.and they work great (y) :love:

Last edited:

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
How hard is it to swap out the dash speakers?
Very easy:

- Pry up the grills using any non-marring trim tool (or you can use a small scredriver wrapped in a rag like I did).
- Use a #2 phillips head screwdriver bit with a ratchet (1/4" socket) to remove the mounting screws (not much room up there with the windshield so a conventional screwdriver won't fit).
- Remove and unplug the speaker.
- Reverse the process for installation.

I used a hand Dremel to modify my faitalPROs.

Users who are viewing this thread