5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stock sound upgrade 8.4 no alpine

Klute

Reaction score
Well folks it true 6x9's mounted in the front doors w/o any mods. No problems at all! I checked and double-checked.

Confused as to why Crutchfield says 6x9 speakers will not fit. My guess is that someone didn't measure correctly.

BTW, new speakers make a huge difference over the stock junk.

Konrad

Reaction score
Great thread. So looking forward to upgrade my speakers.

Any idea if the 6x9s will work in QuadCab's smaller rear door as well?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Brianbeisy

Reaction score
[@Javyg 105 are you happy with your Kenwood? Would you recommend it?
Sorry for being off topic.

I'm in the process of upgrading my stock stereo and looking for a good one.

From my research Kenwood is a good option. But can't make up my mind. All the reviews I've read so far are hype garbage. Actually I've tracked down a site that tells it how it is. I was eyeing the DDX9904S unit thanks to the review.

Can you tell me how bad the is the screen glare? What about the price is there enough value to justify it?

I'm open for suggestions

Klute

Reaction score
Great thread. So looking forward to upgrade my speakers.

Any idea if the 6x9s will work in QuadCab's smaller rear door as well?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I would look at Crutchfield, but I would say yes. My 2002 and 2011 quad cabs took 6x9's in the read doors.

Raydar

Reaction score
[@Javyg 105 are you happy with your Kenwood? Would you recommend it?
Sorry for being off topic.

I'm in the process of upgrading my stock stereo and looking for a good one.

From my research Kenwood is a good option. But can't make up my mind. All the reviews I've read so far are hype garbage. Actually I've tracked down a site that tells it how it is. I was eyeing the DDX9904S unit thanks to the review.

Can you tell me how bad the is the screen glare? What about the price is there enough value to justify it?

I'm open for suggestions

Most everyone in this thread is only talking about upgrading speakers.
There are so many "truck functions" integrated into the stock headunit, that replacing it will likely cause you to lose a great deal of functionality. (At least with the stock 8.4" and 12" headunits. Not sure about any "base" systems.)

With that said...
Kenwood makes an outstanding headunit. I had one in my Silverado that would do most everything but make coffee. And sounded very good through my 6.5" Alpine speakers.

Klute

Reaction score
Most everyone in this thread is only talking about upgrading speakers.
There are so many "truck functions" integrated into the stock headunit, that replacing it will likely cause you to lose a great deal of functionality. (At least with the stock 8.4" and 12" headunits. Not sure about any "base" systems.)

With that said...
Kenwood makes an outstanding headunit. I had one in my Silverado that would do most everything but make coffee. And sounded very good through my 6.5" Alpine speakers.

That's the primary reason NOT to upgrade the OEM HU.

Users who are viewing this thread