5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stock Rebel Duratecs - Ouch

orange01z28

Reaction score

This video makes me want to stop messing around off-road as much until I get some new tires

TangoFoxtrot

Reaction score
I've always hear Duras have weak sidewalls. BFGKO2 have a good reputation for sidewall protection. Buddy does a lot of overlanding and has yet to have a tire issue with his BFGs. In the jeep world, a lot swore by the duras, but I also saw lots of threads on them with sidewall damage. I ran Nittos in my Jeep and never had an issue.

orange01z28

Reaction score
I've always hear Duras have weak sidewalls. BFGKO2 have a good reputation for sidewall protection. Buddy does a lot of overlanding and has yet to have a tire issue with his BFGs. In the jeep world, a lot swore by the duras, but I also saw lots of threads on them with sidewall damage. I ran Nittos in my Jeep and never had an issue.
I've had such good luck with BFGs in the past, as well as all of my Tahoe Toyota rock friends having the same experience that I don't even know why I'm putting myself into analysis paralysis tire shopping when I should probably just go straight for the KO2s

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The Duratracs are standard equipment for some serious trucks, besides the Rebel, you have the Silverado Trail Boss, Sierra AT4, RAM Power Wagon, Ford Tremor HD & Ford Raptor Ranger, etc.

I don't think they would pick them if they were too weak. Especially with their reputation for being louder than other popular brands.

STR

Reaction score
Duratracs are good tires, and the tread is great... BUT their sidewalls are weak. Had them on my wife’s Jeep. She bumped a curb and it tore the tire...

Journeyman

Reaction score
I do a lot of off-road in my rebel with the standard Duratracs, the sand here in Qatar goes from being very soft to sinking mud, to very rocky... the tyres seem to be holding up quite well so far but I’ll be more cautious.

MetalDog

Reaction score
The Duratracs are standard equipment for some serious trucks, besides the Rebel, you have the Silverado Trail Boss, Sierra AT4, RAM Power Wagon, Ford Tremor HD & Ford Raptor Ranger, etc.

I don't think they would pick them if they were too weak. Especially with their reputation for being louder than other popular brands.

Duratracs are well known for having weak sidewalls in the offroading community. I would look at IH8MUD or Expedition Portal for more info.

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
Love my Duratracs so far, but I would not put them on my Wrangler. To me, “off-roading” has a different meaning when I’m talking about my Jeep vs my Rebel. The Duratracs have served me well for the off-road conditions when I utilize my truck.

SoCalBogey

Reaction score
Duratracs are great tires in soft sand and snow. Not so much for rocky terrain. I swapped tires at 800 miles on my truck. Too much of my back country exploration / camping leads me through rocks and stuff that chews up sidewalls. I switched to Cooper ST Maxx and so far I am very satisfied.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Actually, that's exactly why they pick them. The Duratrac has paper thin sidewalls, which keeps weight WAY down, which maintains the level of fuel efficiency the OEs are looking for.

HotHareSpey

Reaction score
COOPER all the way. Longer lasting than BFG and harder rubber. Great in snow and heavy mud but nothing substitutes driving skills, judgement, and tire placement

it did make me want to carry a floor jack in the bed :)

ILikeBalloons&Cheese

Reaction score
Looks like an advertisement for nitto to me.

Clear as day. Notice the classic side wall puncture on the Duratrak. They knew this is a weak point on the tire. I wouldn't doubt that they stabbed it lol or pre-weakened the tire before the shoot. I think my next tire will be Wildpeaks, STT PRO's, or Super Swamper Trxus MT's.

Ram1500rsm

Reaction score
This has been the same experience i've had with Duratracs. I blew a Duratrac sidewall twice, same trail. in both instances the tires were rubbing against rocks. I had them mounted in a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, size 285/70/17, D rated. Got the damaged tires replaced with certs from Americas Tires, but the 2nd time was the last time i ever ran Duratracs. The video may seem like propaganda for Nitto, but Nittos have so much better sidewalls compared to Duratracs is not even funny. If you want a more dependable sidewall from GY then consider the GY MTR's. If you want better sidewalls with an AT tire then you can try BFG KO2's (3 ply sidewall), or Falken AT3W (2 ply sidewall but they're strong), Toyo AT3(3 ply), Nitto TG2 (3 ply).

I trust my Falken AT3W 315/70/17 E rated for example:
Untitled by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Or my KO2's 37x12.5x17 D rated

2020-03-08_01-54-59 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

or my current
Patagonia MT 315/70/17 D rated
deep_creek_10 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

deep_creek_7 by RAM RSM, on Flickr

Nitto MT's