5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stock Intake Charcoal Filter / Silencer Pad

Rambro23

Reaction score
Anyone remove theirs yet? Says not to remove but soooo tempting to remove as it appears to greatly restrict air flow. Just bought a drop in K&N air filter but don't want to void any warranty for removing. Thoughts?

MDBumblebee

Reaction score
Be aware that those charcoal filters are emissions equipment and removing them may cause issues during testing.

Grayfuji

Reaction score
I highly doubt it would throw a CEL but if the tech doing the emissions testing does the complete visual inspection of the "factory emissions equipment" they would probably note it is missing and require you to purchase and install one......... so I suggest if you remove it to keep it and pop it back in when you to have it emissions tested ! (y)

billyraff

Reaction score
Remove it, it is highly restrictive and tests have shown it decreases HP by 2-3HP. Other air intake threads on here have videos and dynos to prove it.

TxRam1211

Reaction score
Remove it, it is highly restrictive and tests have shown it decreases HP by 2-3HP. Other air intake threads on here have videos and dynos to prove it.
do you have any links where its been removed and a 1500 ram has been been on the dyno after removal .

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I removed mine when I installed my AEM dry filter. It did make a bit of a difference as the carbon filter is highly restrictive. The stock airbox is actually very good and my opinion is that doing what I did will generate the same or very similar results as those that are installing a S&B or K&N type CAI. This mod cost me a whopping $41.

RAM Filter 4.jpg RAM Filter 5.jpg RAM Filter 3.jpg

ramchops

Reaction score
Can confirm that it’s more than fine without. I’ve had mine off since about week 2 with the truck - over 2 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hydrant328

Reaction score
Can confirm that it’s more than fine without. I’ve had mine off since about week 2 with the truck - over 2 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
you didn't replace with anything?

TxRam1211

Reaction score
sounds good held off on wasting $ on a CAI kit. ordered the dry filter, and the lower box and boot was 111$ for all 3 not bad at all, also will remove the carbon filter

Users who are viewing this thread