5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stiffer Springs

Clyde

Reaction score
@Clyde I will be really curious to see what your results are. Keep us posted.....thanks!
So I’m pretty sure I duplicated every type of cornering at a full range of speeds, really pushed the truck to its limits (even got the rear end to break loose around a curve before track control kicked in - that provided for a quick pucker moment - lol).

I did not get any lights to kick on, so all seems well pre ORP springs.

Clyde

Reaction score
@Clyde maybe your dealership can give you some insight if you are there today.
I did not mention it to them, my thoughts were that should I start to have issues, I want them to look at the situation open minded - and look at all possibilities rather than write the issue off as a lift issue.

I’ll keep you guys posted.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I’m pretty sure I duplicated every type of cornering at a full range of speeds, really pushed the truck to its limits (even got the rear end to break loose around a curve before track control kicked in - that provided for a quick pucker moment - lol).

I did not get any lights to kick on, so all seems well pre ORP springs.
Well that's encouraging news for me. I hope that you don't have the issue at all....thanks for the feedback and keep us posted. How do you like the look and ride with the ORP springs? Did it get a little stiffer? I never had the lift without the ORP so I have nothing to compare it to.

myles

Reaction score
Hmmm, i don't even understand why a lift would affect traction control???
As far as i can see there aren't any sensors for the a-arm angle, truck height or anything else that could even sense that there is a lift on.

If bigger tires are put on, that would make sense, because the computer is expecting xxxrpms and the tire is spinning at a different rpm, but a tire size re-calibration would fix that.

going out on a limb here, maybe the inclinometer is sensing the truck is leaning differently? seems kinda far fetched though, there would be way too many false positives during offroading or weird roads.

Now that i'm thinking, maybe double check tire rpm/speed sensors and make sure everything has a solid connection because these usually get pulled and yanked on during lift installation

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hmmm, i don't even understand why a lift would affect traction control???
As far as i can see there aren't any sensors for the a-arm angle, truck height or anything else that could even sense that there is a lift on.

If bigger tires are put on, that would make sense, because the computer is expecting xxxrpms and the tire is spinning at a different rpm, but a tire size re-calibration would fix that.

going out on a limb here, maybe the inclinometer is sensing the truck is leaning differently? seems kinda far fetched though, there would be way too many false positives during offroading or weird roads.

Now that i'm thinking, maybe double check tire rpm/speed sensors and make sure everything has a solid connection because these usually get pulled and yanked on during lift installation
Yeah good idea, I will check the cables to see if they are loose. I didn't recalibrate my speedo after going to 35's so this may also be a factor like you said. I am off by about 4-5 mph according to gps. Thanks for the good info (y) . As you said I don't see why a lift would effect the ESC system.

Ram1992

Reaction score
I did not mention it to them, my thoughts were that should I start to have issues, I want them to look at the situation open minded - and look at all possibilities rather than write the issue off as a lift issue.
I’ll keep you guys posted.
Hey Clyde,
How the install go? how’s the ride?

Clyde

Reaction score
Hey Clyde,
How the install go? how’s the ride?
Install went good, front is sitting at 25 1/2” (from center of hub) so I netted 2” adding the ORP Springs, I also used the springs ending in AC as did Jeffjad who also netted 2” of lift, makes me wonder if the AC springs are different from the AB springs. I’m sure (or at least hoping) they will settle a bit.

No issues on the ride home as far as ESC light goes, I did not have time to go the back roads on the way home. Fingers crossed I have no issues.

The ride quality is definitely stiffer, I’d say still good for a lifted truck. It is not horrible, & I will miss the old ride - but the trade off is worth it to me.

I installed a Hellwig a few days ago @ the middle hole, that help minimize the side to side lean/sway... I can clearly tell that the ORP springs are further minimizing the side to side sway.

Right now I’m sitting level, I’m hoping it settles 1/2” to 1” as I often have a load of tools in the bed, and occasionally tow a trailer, should I end up with negative rake when loaded, I might add ORP springs to the rear as well.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Install went good, front is sitting at 25 1/2” (from center of hub) so I netted 2” adding the ORP Springs, I also used the springs ending in AC as did Jeffjad who also netted 2” of lift, makes me wonder if the AC springs are different from the AB springs. I’m sure (or at least hoping) they will settle a bit.

No issues on the ride home as far as ESC light goes, I did not have time to go the back roads on the way home. Fingers crossed I have no issues.

The ride quality is definitely stiffer, I’d say still good for a lifted truck. It is not horrible, & I will miss the old ride - but the trade off is worth it to me.

I installed a Hellwig a few days ago @ the middle hole, that help minimize the side to side lean/sway... I can clearly tell that the ORP springs are further minimizing the side to side sway.

Right now I’m sitting level, I’m hoping it settles 1/2” to 1” as I often have a load of tools in the bed, and occasionally tow a trailer, should I end up with negative rake when loaded, I might add ORP springs to the rear as well.
Glad it all went well for you. As far as the AB vs. AC springs they should be the same specs, FCA usually just changes the end letter if they change manufacturers. I was also at 25.5" in the front right after install and it has settled to 25" since. I am awaiting my hellwig sway bar to arrive and hoping in will help with the ESC/traction control issue. Thanks for the update.

Ram1992

Reaction score

Thanks for the update. I have the AB springs. I’m Hoping I like the ride. I figured I try this set up so I don’t drop money on a zone lift.

Any issues with The BJ angle? I will be installing the 2nd Spacer With RC UCA this morning.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. I have the AB springs. I’m Hoping I like the ride. I figured I try this set up so I don’t drop money on a zone lift.

Any issues with The BJ angle? I will be installing the 2nd Spacer With RC UCA this morning.
@Ram1992 Let me know how the RC UCAs work out.

Clyde

Reaction score

Here’s a pic of the ball joint angle before ORP springs... 9B9D58A2-5F62-495F-9849-665E0643028E.jpeg
And here’s a picture after ORP springs... C35231EC-0DBB-4F3A-A3AB-908C020FEBA6.jpeg

Clyde

Reaction score
I’m not worried about the angle, it we’ll lessen as the truck settles too.

I’m really interested in what your ride height is going to be with the AB springs & 2 spacers, I know that the first spacer does not have as much affect as the second as you are getting further into the preload with the second.

Again, I’m not sure that it is just coincidence that both Jeffjad and I got almost a full 1” more than those who ran the AB springs.

Before buying I called 5 dealers playing like it was my first inquiry into the AB springs, when they said they were none available nationwide, I asked about a superseding part #, all said I don’t see one, I then asked about running the part # with the AC vs AB and asked if they superseded... two of the 5 said that is usually the case, but none could give me a positive “for sure”.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here’s a pic of the ball joint angle before ORP springs... View attachment 53787
And here’s a picture after ORP springs... View attachment 53788
Looks the same as mine. Not horrible but just on the edge. If you don't do any extreme off-roading they will be just fine. It will settle a bit and look better after some miles. I ordered some RC UCAs only bc I tow a boat and they are at extreme angle with the weight of the boat.

Clyde

Reaction score
I guess it’s also worth noting that when I say I’m not worried about the BJ angle, that I will not be doing any off-roading with my truck, strictly pavement and job sites.

Ram1992

Reaction score
@Ram1992 Let me know how the RC UCAs work out.
Spacer and UCA are installed. I can tell the Difference in suspension prior to the extra spacer. Picture of the BJ are attached.

I’m at 25-3/8” passenger side and 25” driver side.
I’m at full tank of fuel.
I m happy with the setup definitely recommend it.

Attachments

• B632992B-B1E8-477C-B851-38658B89B037.jpeg
    B632992B-B1E8-477C-B851-38658B89B037.jpeg
    133.1 KB · Views: 35
  • E2C55439-6AAE-44A6-92C3-F5EB650DB288.jpeg
    E2C55439-6AAE-44A6-92C3-F5EB650DB288.jpeg
    94.5 KB · Views: 34

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Spacer and UCA are installed. I can tell the Difference in suspension prior to the extra spacer. Picture of the BJ are attached.

I’m at 25-3/8” passenger side and 25” driver side.
I’m at full tank of fuel.
I m happy with the setup definitely recommend it.
Very nice......the BJ looks much closer to specs with the RC UCA. Does ride seem better than before? More stable? Less stable? Floaty? Any issues with traction control in corners?

Ram1992

Reaction score
Very nice......the BJ looks much closer to specs with the RC UCA. Does ride seem better than before? More stable? Less stable? Floaty? Any issues with traction control in corners?

I think it rides better before with one spacer. Not bad but just enough to tell. I can feel the imperfections in the road more now. Can’t Seem tell the difference in the floaty part.
no issues With the traction control.
I’ll update more tomorrow as I only drove back home from the shop.
How much grease or pumps should go onto the BJ zerk ? The boot looked like it didn’t have any when I checked it at home so I put 5 pumps on each side.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think it rides better before with one spacer. Not bad but just enough to tell. I can feel the imperfections in the road more now. Can’t Seem tell the difference in the floaty part.
no issues With the traction control.
I’ll update more tomorrow as I only drove back home from the shop.
How much grease or pumps should go onto the BJ zerk ? The boot looked like it didn’t have any when I checked it at home so I put 5 pumps on each side.
Thanks for the info. I've never had greaseable ball joints so I'm not sure on that one. 5 sounds like a good number :ROFLMAO:. It will probably only take so much grease before it starts oozing out back out of the zerk fitting.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread