5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sticking or runaway RPM

mainjet

Reaction score
@RamCares
I had a strange thing happen with my truck the other day. I was in a turning lane and the car in front of me was going to turn, I thought at the light but they stopped and turned just before the light. Which made me come to a very slow speed and then I got on it a bit to make the green arrow. The truck went into overdrive and accelerated hard for just a quick second but when I let off the gas the RPM just stayed up and even continued to climb to 4000 RPM. I was completely off the gas and letting it coast but the RPM’s wouldn’t come down. I had to pull to the side of the road and put the truck in park for a second. Then I put it in drive and drove normally.

I have had other times on the highway with a bit of a heavy foot passing for a short few seconds where it seems like the RPMs really jump up and hang for a short time. Seems a little weird but I didn’t think a lot about it because at the faster highway speeds it’s not quite as dramatic. But now after this latest incident it makes me think back to those other times that I just kind of quickly dismissed in my head.

The truck has just under 10,000 miles on it. The truck was still in gear and I could drive it/coast it, to the shoulder but I wasn’t really pressing the gas pedal because the RPM’s were up and 4000 and just staying there so I really didn’t want them to increase anymore.

This seems like it could be potentially dangerous.

Last edited:

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That is definitely dangerous. Doesn't sound like the surge when turning issue others are having. Being these are drive by wire, I would think the accelerator pedal rheostat is defective. Get it to the dealer immediately! Make sure to give the write up person all the info, and read what they write. It's important the mechanic gets all the info. I used to be a mechanic, and sometimes the work order would not have enough info, so if it wouldn't act up, and if it didn't within a few minutes, it would just be noted no problem. Mechanics work commission, and are not paid diagnosis time , so will only drive a few minutes. Right off, tell them to have the service manager drive the truck.

Rondo13

Reaction score
Greetings Ram Guru, the other day my 2019 Ram Rebel while driving approximately 45 mph went into a "false neutral". The truck motor of course rev'd at a high rpm but, I was "free wheeling" without tranny engagement. I made it to the shoulder, shut down, restarted, placed the selector in drive and made it home without an incident ( less than one mile). I took the truck to the dealership and they did not see error codes? I left the truck for them to diagnose and test over the weekend.
HAS ANYONE HAD THIS EXPERIENCE?

mainjet

Reaction score
Greetings Ram Guru, the other day my 2019 Ram Rebel while driving approximately 45 mph went into a "false neutral". The truck motor of course rev'd at a high rpm but, I was "free wheeling" without tranny engagement. I made it to the shoulder, shut down, restarted, placed the selector in drive and made it home without an incident ( less than one mile). I took the truck to the dealership and they did not see error codes? I left the truck for them to diagnose and test over the weekend.
HAS ANYONE HAD THIS EXPERIENCE?
I think I read some of that from others when I was searching my issue. I didn't find my issue but yours sounds like what others have experienced.

Users who are viewing this thread