5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stellantis Considers a car Monetizable for first 5 years

AdamChandler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
via: https://techcrunch.com/2021/12/07/h...ar-from-software-in-its-cars-trucks-and-suvs/

The end goal is to have 34 million connected cars on the road by 2030 that Stellantis can generate revenue from for years after they’re sold to consumers. To reach its target, Stellantis will lean on partnerships with BMW, Foxconn and Waymo. Today, the company has 12 million “monetizable” connected cars globally. Stellantis defines “monetizable” as the vehicle’s first five years of life.

How does the company plan to actually make money? It starts with the underlying electrical and software architecture, which it’s calling STLA Brain. This underlying system is integrated with the cloud that connects electronic control units within the vehicle with the vehicle’s central high performing computer via a high-speed data bus. It will allow the company to upgrade software to vehicles “over the air,” or wirelessly.

On top of this “brain,” Stellantis will add its “SmartCockpit,” a platform built in partnership with Foxconn that will deliver applications to the driver such as navigation, voice assistance, e-commerce marketplace and payment services. Separately, Stellantis announced it signed a non-binding memorandum of understanding with Foxconn to design a family of purpose-built microcontrollers. The partnership is intended to develop four families of chips that will cover more than 80% of the automaker’s microcontrollers’ needs.

Finally, a third automated driving platform called “AutoDrive,” developed with BMW, will complete the automaker’s software plan. All three of these platforms — “brain,” “smartcockpit” and “autodrive” will be in all new Stellantis vehicles by 2024.

It sounds like more services are coming to RAM Trucks

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
I'm waiting for cars to become self policing. You wanna invest in something that will save lives, invest in driver monitoring.
Anyone remember the cab scenes in "The Fifth Element" where it keeps hitting him with demerits on his license for driving offenses?
Spend some time driving around Georgia and you'll get on board pretty damn quick. F'n morons.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm waiting for cars to become self policing. You wanna invest in something that will save lives, invest in driver monitoring.
There's no money in that for them. They aren't doing this to save lives, they're doing it to generate revenue ($22.5B according to them).

TittoPollito

Reaction score
Anyone remember the cab scenes in "The Fifth Element" where it keeps hitting him with demerits on his license for driving offenses?
Spend some time driving around Georgia and you'll get on board pretty damn quick. F'n morons.
100000000000000000000000000000000000% agree, people in Georgia are the worst drivers I have ever seen. Been in 49 states and 38 countries and this place gives me heartburn every time I leave the driveway

EMS_Pilot_66

Reaction score
No thanks. I don't even like paying for satellite radio, let alone other 'connected' services.

Wait, there's THAT many people that pay for these services!?

No thanks. Living in WI I wouldnt touch anything associated with Foxconn. You can find my thoughts here: https://5thgenrams.com/community/th...-build-semiconductor-chips.37247/#post-545877

Apparently they think there will be. I won't be one of them.
They’ll just front load the costs into the price of the vehicle and say it’s a 5 yr trial period. One way or the other WE’LL pay for it unfortunately.

piening2150

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They’ll just front load the costs into the price of the vehicle and say it’s a 5 yr trial period. One way or the other WE’LL pay for it unfortunately.
I agree, but I don't have to like it... Or buy any car with mandatory 'services'. I guess I'll only buy used after a certain point. Bummer.

Stuff like the Ram Connect services makes sense (even if I don't like the pricing). Things that add a little value (being able to start my truck from my phone), without compromising the function of the vehicle (I can still remote start it with the fob, without the service) are worth paying for if you want them. When they start monetizing the actual functionality of the car, I'm out.

BMW already tried charging a yearly fee for access to Apple Carplay. Customers bitched and they changed their tune (for now), but paying a monthly/yearly fee to access your heated seats is the way of the future 😡

jimk hunt

Reaction score
Be careful what you wish for. They are already trying with the BBB bill, has provisions for dui breathalyzer equipment in every vehicle! Imagine the cost, complexity, and false positives. I don't want anyone monitoring my driving (in the vehicle) if I've never given them a legal reason to do so. I live in Atlanta and agree we have some really bad drivers, more patrol units are the answer.

JimKIII

Reaction score
Be careful what you wish for. They are already trying with the BBB bill, has provisions for dui breathalyzer equipment in every vehicle! Imagine the cost, complexity, and false positives. I don't want anyone monitoring my driving (in the vehicle) if I've never given them a legal reason to do so. I live in Atlanta and agree we have some really bad drivers, more patrol units are the answer.
Yep. It is in SEC. 24220. ADVANCED IMPAIRED DRIVING TECHNOLOGY. of H.R.3684 - Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act, which was signed into law 11/15/2021. Read Bob Barr's take on that:

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yep. It is in SEC. 24220. ADVANCED IMPAIRED DRIVING TECHNOLOGY. of H.R.3684 - Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act, which was signed into law 11/15/2021. Read Bob Barr's take on that:
Do you have a direct link to the actual wording of the bill (rather than an opinion article) that states breathalyzer equipment will be required in vehicles?

JimKIII

Reaction score
Do you have a direct link to the actual wording of the bill (rather than an opinion article) that states breathalyzer equipment will be required in vehicles?
search down to SEC. 24220. Three seconds to find it on the internet. Whether the bill states specifically that a breathalyzer WILL be installed, (bills usually aren't that specific), it's quite clear from the language what auto manufacturers will be require to do:

"Subject to subsection (e) and not later than 3 years
after the date of enactment of this Act, the Secretary shall issue a
final rule prescribing a Federal motor vehicle safety standard under
section 30111 of title 49, United States Code, that requires passenger
motor vehicles manufactured after the effective date of that standard
to be equipped with advanced drunk and impaired driving prevention
technology."

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
it's quite clear from the language what auto manufacturers will be require to do:
Which doesn’t mean install breathalyzer equipment at all, so not sure why people get all up in arms and say that. It’s more referring to features like jeep Wagoneer’s drowsy driver detection.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
search down to SEC. 24220. Three seconds to find it on the internet. Whether the bill states specifically that a breathalyzer WILL be installed, (bills usually aren't that specific), it's quite clear from the language what auto manufacturers will be require to do:

"Subject to subsection (e) and not later than 3 years
after the date of enactment of this Act, the Secretary shall issue a
final rule prescribing a Federal motor vehicle safety standard under
section 30111 of title 49, United States Code, that requires passenger
motor vehicles manufactured after the effective date of that standard
to be equipped with advanced drunk and impaired driving prevention
technology."
Perhaps to counter other legislation.
1639732388721.jpeg

JimKIII

Reaction score
Which doesn’t mean install breathalyzer equipment at all, so not sure why people get all up in arms and say that. It’s more referring to features like jeep Wagoneer’s drowsy driver detection.
You're correct that it doesn't spell out in explicit terms to install a breathalyzer. But the manufacturers will be required to design and install some sort of system to monitor, detect, and prevent drunk driving. If not a breathalyzer, than possibly a needle in the arm to monitor blood alcohol levels? Who the hell knows, but some sort of "advanced drunk and impaired driving prevention technology" will be required. The key words in that section are 'monitor' and 'prevent'. Details left up to the manufacturers. Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not against stopping drunk drivers - they're a menace and cause much grief. It's the nefarious miss-use of systems such as those required in sec 24220 that I object to. I haven't had a drop of alcohol in 36 years and don't expect to in the future. I won't have a vehicle that has a system designed specifically to 'prevent' driving in any fashion.

jimk hunt

Reaction score
Details will most likely be left up to the governing body (and lobbyists) to determine the final 'Tech" to accomplish this. The tech to detect impairment and prevent starting the vehicle other than a breathalyzer simply does not exist. You can be impaired by any number of things in addition to alcohol. Drugs, legal and otherwise, lack of sleep, eating, texting, kids in the car, nagging wife, etc. The language is broad and this will most likely get delayed for years beyond the 3 year period in the law as the tech tries to catch up. A lot of details will be left for others to figure out. But rest assured, it will be complicated and expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread