5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steering wheel off-center?

Savagescott

Reaction score
I’ve been waffling on 1/2 ton vs 3/4 to tow my 8500# boat. I’ve decided a 1/2 ton will meet my needs. We drove both the f150 and Ram today back-back and I noticed for the first time that the Ram steering wheel seems to be off-set to the left a bit. It really got in my head and decreased my original fondness for the truck. Anyone else notice this or am I crazy?

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Bad alignment. Not unheard of from factory and easily corrected back to high-noon.

Savagescott

Reaction score
Bad alignment. Not unheard of from factory and easily corrected back to high-noon.

Sorry... I didn’t word my question very well..... I meant it felt like the entire steering column was not placed on the centerline of the drivers seat; felt like it was shifted slightly toward the drivers door. Never noticed it until I drove the Ford and felt a difference.

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry... I didn’t word my question very well..... I meant it felt like the entire steering column was not placed on the centerline of the drivers seat; felt like it was shifted slightly toward the drivers door. Never noticed it until I drove the Ford and felt a difference.

I haven't really noticed what you are describing but I came from Ford. My steering wheel itself it not centered and I have brought it to the dealer, they did an alignment but it's still not centered. I haven't brought it back..

XDBrad

Reaction score
It is off centered to the driver just a bit. My 2012 Jeep JK was the same and must be a FCA thing. I got used to it and don’t even notice anymore.

Savagescott

Reaction score
It is off centered to the driver just a bit. My 2012 Jeep JK was the same and must be a FCA thing. I got used to it and don’t even notice anymore.

Thanks for confirming I’m not nuts. It shouldn’t be a big deal but like I said, it kinda got in my head. I liked the F-150 more than I expected so trying to make my list of pros/cons. The additional torque and towing capacity of the 3.5 ecoboost is very appealing for what I’m towing. Feels like a separate discussion...

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Most vehicles end up with a bit of misalignment between the steering wheel and driver due to packaging constraints (i .e. steering column fitment vs passenger compartment geometry). That said, I’ve not noticed this at all in the Ram.

XDBrad

Reaction score
I liked the F-150 more than I expected so trying to make my list of pros/cons. The additional torque and towing capacity of the 3.5 ecoboost is very appealing for what I’m towing. Feels like a separate discussion...

Nothing wrong with the F-150 the way I see it, it all comes down to your wants/needs. I’m a GMC convert, GMC isn’t junk but the 2019 Ram just has so much more to offer to me.

1stTimeRAM

Reaction score
I noticed this as well. The gauges are not centered in the arc of the steering wheel for me. I thought at first that I was just leaning a little to the right, but decided it really was off-center just a bit. So, no, you are not nuts...or at least this is not evidence of it. ;)

Savagescott

Reaction score
I noticed this as well. The gauges are not centered in the arc of the steering wheel for me. I thought at first that I was just leaning a little to the right, but decided it really was off-center just a bit. So, no, you are not nuts...or at least this is not evidence of it. ;)

Maybe there’s a more appropriate place for this question on the forum but I’ll throw it out here.... for anyone that’s gone through this comparison, ram (Ltd) vs F-150 (platinum?) what did your pro/con list look like?

For me towing/torque, comfort of front seats, aftermarket knowledge/ availability favor the Ford.. (and while the interior is “simpler” I actually kinda like that - while the Ram interior is no doubt nicer, it can feel a little busy... a lot going on with all the different surfaces, etc.)

The Ram rides better, better stereo, love the air ride, better resolution screen...

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had to go out and check... it is just a smidge to the left... I hate you guys now...

jastevenson

Reaction score
Can't be bad compared with the Silverado/Tahoe:

2015-Chevrolet-Silverado-Interior-off-center-steering-wheel-1024x573.jpg

Savagescott

Reaction score
Can't be bad compared with the Silverado/Tahoe:

2015-Chevrolet-Silverado-Interior-off-center-steering-wheel-1024x573.jpg

That graphic is a little suspicious but nonetheless interesting. I saw a you tube video interview with one of the GM engineers responsible for interior design of the new Silverado and she was touting the fact that they corrected the off-center steering column that was present in the previous gen. The column in my 2015 Tahoe is shifted to the right a bit but it seems a little more tolerable than the left leaning of the Ram, I think, because your natural posture is to lean a bit right.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I grew up in the Motor City suburbs and I drive with what we called the "motor city lean". Left hand on the wheel and the elbow on the console. Still do so the steering wheel is never in front of me, centered.

sticker500

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Maybe there’s a more appropriate place for this question on the forum but I’ll throw it out here.... for anyone that’s gone through this comparison, ram (Ltd) vs F-150 (platinum?) what did your pro/con list look like?

For me towing/torque, comfort of front seats, aftermarket knowledge/ availability favor the Ford.. (and while the interior is “simpler” I actually kinda like that - while the Ram interior is no doubt nicer, it can feel a little busy... a lot going on with all the different surfaces, etc.)

The Ram rides better, better stereo, love the air ride, better resolution screen...

I drove only Ford trucks for 26 years or so. My last was a 2018 F-150 Platinum 5.0 6'.4" 4x4, and while I love the exterior of the Ford the front seats had me squirming even on my 15 mile short commute. If you find them comfortable then that's what is important. The RAM interior is luxurious, seems well made. The air ride is like a cushion, and people comment all the time how smooth and quiet it is. The stereo beats the B&O stuff Ford put in. Tech is better in the RAM.

The torque of the EcoBoost is something to be amazed at, becaue I had a 2016 which was fun to drive but when you push that motor the gas mileage suffers immensely. Did you see the latest TFLTruck video on comparing the trucks towing? He said if he had to pick one to drive across country with a 7000# trailer he would pick the RAM. This HEMI is tough, sounds great and with 3.92 gears just pulls!

Service - They all have issues and I special ordered my truck. Ford wouldn't stand behind 2 very noticeable defects in workmanship and that caused me to look at other options.

I hope this helps you out some. Both make nice trucks.

KRField

Reaction score
It is a tad left, which is not a concern. It may be a deliberate move. When driving my left hand steers and right arm is on the console. Either positioned at noon or with elbow resting on window sill and hand at 9 position. It’s seems moving wheel a tad left makes driving this way more comfortable and easier reach.

Users who are viewing this thread