5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steering wheel not locking when engine is off

cwarnke

Reaction score
I just got my 2019 Ram Longhorn, 72k miles, back from the Ram dealer this week. They replaced the leather dashboard. Now my steering wheel will not lock when the engine is off. I tried moving the steering wheel back and forth to get it to lock but it doesn't lock. When I picked up my truck the service adviser said they had to remove the entire dash to replace the top leather section of the dashboard. Could the dismantling of the entire dash involve the steering column? Is there something the tech forgot to connect? How can I fix this with out taking it back to the dealer? Any advise would be appreciated.

GMetal

Reaction score
When they removed the key from the column they removed the mechanism that would engage a pin into a notched wheel in the column that would lock the wheel.

RAMonkey

Reaction score
You sure?
OK, define lock. Mine won’t move more than 1/2” in either direction when the engine is off. Essentially, it’s locked. You can’t steer the vehicle as the wheels won’t turn. If you mean that it clicks into a locked position, then no, mine doesn’t do that.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
OK, define lock. Mine won’t move more than 1/2” in either direction when the engine is off. Essentially, it’s locked. You can’t steer the vehicle as the wheels won’t turn. If you mean that it clicks into a locked position, then no, mine doesn’t do that.
You can for sure turn the wheel, it's just very stiff. It's a workout to push one into a shop that doesn't run

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If it was rolling in neutral, to would be able to steer. Would be harder without the electronic assist, but would still turn the wheels. I've moved my wheels with engine off by cranking in the steering wheel more than once.

Users who are viewing this thread