5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steering wheel is loose!

Reaction score
OK, maybe "Interior" is not quite right, if this is in the wrong place, please move.

2019 Ram.

My steering wheel is loose. If I grab it and try to rock it.

If you imagine that the wheel is loose on the shaft, that is what it feels like. No slack in the steering, but the steering wheel rocks like a dinner plate on a table.

i popped the airbag out to see, I found the entire wheel and shaft rocking back and forth. Not a lot, but enough to get my attention.

The wheel is tight on the shaft. Yes, the tilt mechanism in locked down tight.

I look at parts breakdown and see that the first part of the steering shaft is maybe 8 inches long and then goes into the tilt mechanism. It would be the first shaft that is loose.

Anyone have a similar experience? Do they ALL flop around like mine does?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
OK, maybe "Interior" is not quite right, if this is in the wrong place, please move.

2019 Ram.

My steering wheel is loose. If I grab it and try to rock it.

If you imagine that the wheel is loose on the shaft, that is what it feels like. No slack in the steering, but the steering wheel rocks like a dinner plate on a table.

i popped the airbag out to see, I found the entire wheel and shaft rocking back and forth. Not a lot, but enough to get my attention.

The wheel is tight on the shaft. Yes, the tilt mechanism in locked down tight.

I look at parts breakdown and see that the first part of the steering shaft is maybe 8 inches long and then goes into the tilt mechanism. It would be the first shaft that is loose.

Anyone have a similar experience? Do they ALL flop around like mine does?
Not normal, take it to dealer

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The “bearing” (if you can call it that) has races that are plastic. This problem is normal for early MY2000+ vehicles that age, usually from chronic grabbing off the wheel upon entry/exit. This isn’t the case with yours ( unless you hung from it like it was monkeybars), so you will be able to get it fixed under warranty.

Reaction score
Hmmmmmmm . . . .
Certainly I grab the steering wheel when entering. How hard I pull on it, I don't really know.

I will do some analytics next time I get into the truck.

I consciously try to keep from stressing the seat when I exit, I will need to analyze that as well.

Plastic bushings eh?
20k on the odometer.

@djevox

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hmmmmmmm . . . .
Certainly I grab the steering wheel when entering. How hard I pull on it, I don't really know.

I will do some analytics next time I get into the truck.

I consciously try to keep from stressing the seat when I exit, I will need to analyze that as well.

Plastic bushings eh?
20k on the odometer.

@djevox
I mentioned that it wasn’t the case with yours because of age, but our business has seen a lot of this issue over the last decade.

Users who are viewing this thread