5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

steering wheel feedback on Ram trucks..

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think alignment and tires will do more to alter your steering feedback and accuracy than suspension changes. Now if what you are feeling is loose transient responses, like you make a steering input and the truck takes a beat to lean and change direction, that would be suspension and yes a rear Hellwig sway bar and/or upgraded shocks will improve that "boaty" feeling.

ramhouston

Reaction score
i think some of you folks are right about the sway bar upgrade.. that may be reason why my truck doesn't feel planted anytime i move the steering wheel left or right.. Lol

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
i think some of you folks are right about the sway bar upgrade.. that may be reason why my truck doesn't feel planted anytime i move the steering wheel left or right.. Lol
Night and day difference. My truck felt like a boat swaying in the waves. With the Hellwig it corners amazingly well for a truck. Mine is only set on the middle setting too so could be ever better on the far setting hole.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I agree with what everyone else is saying about the nice steering and how the hellwig swaybar helps a ton! When my truck was only lifted 2” in the rear I had it on the medium setting but now that it’s 4” in the rear with 37s I put it on the stiffest setting and it’s awesome. They even make an upgraded front sway bar but it is pretty pricey. I’m still planning on getting it one day simply because the rear upgrade was so drastic. If you want to take it a step farther in the rear you can get some CORE4x4 end links, upper and lower control arms and drag link too. Not positive but I think the price on all the CORE4x4 pieces are around $1000, hellwig in the rear is about $300 and hellwig up front is $700 but your truck would literally handle like a (heavy) sports car

smashweights

Reaction score
hmm.. maybe the excessive sway/body roll is what i’m trying to explain? i do know for a fact that our Ram’s have coil springs in the rear as opposed to traditional leaf springs. maybe that is the behavior that i’m just experiencing?
Do you have the stock tires? My trucks steering response improved dramatically when I ditched the stock Duelers for Conti TerrainContact HL XL tires. I think it had to do with the sidewalls flexing with turns. It felt sluggish in response to steering inputs and like the body rolled outside too much. The Contis are stiffer and respond quicker with no roll/flex.

dyeguy1212

Reaction score
Your 1500 series truck doesn't feel planted?

Maybe that's because its a 1500 series truck and not a sedan.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Try better tires (or check PSI), and I agree with the others to get the hellwig. Mine is on the stiffest setting and I'd go stiffer if I could.

ramhouston

Reaction score
Try better tires (or check PSI), and I agree with the others to get the hellwig. Mine is on the stiffest setting and I'd go stiffer if I could.
more PSI wouldn’t help my case i’m pretty sure. at this point i’m 99% sure an upgraded sway bar would alleviate the symptoms i’m currently experiencing Lol.

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
my Ford and Toyotas didn’t experience what i’m currently experiencing..
My Ram isn't experiencing what yours is...
Not even sure what truck you have.
Do you have air suspension or the coils? Have you actually checked?
What tires\wheels?
What PSI?
What speeds don't "feel planted"?

I have no problems taking sharp turns at 45+ MPH to the point my tires would lose traction going any faster\sharper when in Aero mode. My truck is planted, flat, and level... I have the stock air suspension, active air dam, and stock 22"s with the Pirelli's all-seasons.
The only "problem" I have is the higher center of gravity compared to a car which is not a problem, it's a trait.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
you have air suspension which is completely different than my non air suspension truck.
Would of know it if you put what you had on your truck on your first post or signature as you were complaining.
You can get air suspension on a Laramie.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
yes i am aware.
i am also aware that the air suspension is expensive to repair once it goes out XD
If you are concerned about expenses then you shouldn't of gotten etorque either. It's battery is around $1500 alone and batteries don't last forever. Maybe should of got a Tacoma.

ramhouston

Reaction score
If you are concerned about expenses then you shouldn't of gotten etorque either. It's battery is around $1500 alone and batteries don't last forever. Maybe should of got a Tacoma.
i didn’t have a have a choice since it was a stock dealer unit. secondly the $1500 i’m sure beats the several thousand dollars that the air suspension repairs shall cost.. Lol

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
i didn’t have a have a choice since it was a stock dealer unit. secondly the $1500 i’m sure beats the several thousand dollars that the air suspension repairs shall cost.. Lol
Next time test drive it, and don't buy it if it doesn't preform as you want.
Custom orders are free, and generally cheaper then stock trucks if you can wait a month or 2 for it to come in.

ramhouston

Reaction score
Next time test drive it, and don't buy it if it doesn't preform as you want.
Custom orders are free, and generally cheaper then stock trucks if you can wait a month or 2 for it to come in.
i mean i didn't the sign the papers for nothing if i didn't like the truck.. XD
i should also add in that i'm on my second 5th gen Ram 1500

Users who are viewing this thread