5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

steering wheel feedback on Ram trucks..

ramhouston

Reaction score
As an individual who has driven multiple brands of pick up trucks, i noticed the steering feedback on my current and previous Ram don't feel planted/firm. I know i'm not the only out there who experiencing this such behavior.
I am wondering is this due to the current factory Ram suspension being the way it is or if its due to the way their steering racks and sh*t were engineered?

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Since they have electric power steering, this is simply the way they were programmed.

I haven’t observed any obvious problems with mine. My previous truck had hydraulic power steering and had a different feel…but everything else about it was also different (drivetrain, suspension, etc).

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
These trucks feel normal, no idea what you are talking about...

Go drive a truck with a poor drive by wire system. The wheel has "fake" vibrations so it "feels normal"

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I could stand a little less boost / more road feel, but don't find it objectionable. Better than most cars, which you can't feel at all and makes it hard to drive straight. Wonder if a little increased caster would improve feedback.

ramhouston

Reaction score
hmm.. maybe the excessive sway/body roll is what i’m trying to explain? i do know for a fact that our Ram’s have coil springs in the rear as opposed to traditional leaf springs. maybe that is the behavior that i’m just experiencing?

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I miss the days where I had to constantly give 1/4 turn corrections left and right just to stay in my lane.😆

No problems here. Feels good to me.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
As someone who has mostly driven German vehicles for the last 3 decades, I can tell you my Rebel's steering feels great. One of the pleasantly surprisingly good driving characters of this truck, very car like in its inputs, in-fact dare I say isn't that far off of luxury vehicles not that long ago.

If you are having some steering feel issues, have a look at your suspension and especially your tires. Make sure they are balanced correctly and aren't flat spotted or not wearing evenly. Those things will be felt through the steering wheel.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
my current Ford and previous Toyota’s beg to differ.. Lol
My previous Oldsmobile, Mustang, Camaro, G35x, Silverado, Acadia beg to differ... Maybe as others said you got something broken. These trucks drive as normal as you get. Only when compared to the Acadia does the steeling feel different because the Acadia drive by wire is rancid with it's fake feedback.
Is this your first truck with power steering?

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
hmm.. maybe the excessive sway/body roll is what ’m trying to explain? i do know for a fact that our Ram’s have coil springs in the rear as opposed to traditional leaf springs. maybe that is the behavior that i’m just experiencing?
That doesn't sound even remotely like steering feedback. Yes it has progressive coils all around, so it's not going to ride like the old log wagon leaf springs, and IMO it's a big improvement. As far as body roll goes, mine seems much better than most cars I've driven, but if you want yours stiffer there are heavy duty sway bars available from Helwig and others.

ramhouston

Reaction score
My previous Oldsmobile, Mustang, Camaro, G35x, Silverado, Acadia beg to differ... Maybe as others said you got something broken. These trucks drive as normal as you get. Only when compared to the Acadia does the steeling feel different because the Acadia drive by wire is rancid with it's fake feedback.
Is this your first truck with power steering?
i said in my original post that i’m on my 2nd Ram. both possess the same characteristics.

ramhouston

Reaction score
That doesn't sound even remotely like steering feedback. Yes it has progressive coils all around, so it's not going to ride like the old log wagon leaf springs, and IMO it's a big improvement. As far as body roll goes, mine seems much better than most cars I've driven, but if you want yours stiffer there are heavy duty sway bars available from Helwig and others.
i mean technicality wise, steering/body roll/suspension all correlate in one way or another.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
For body roll, get the Hellwig sway bar and set it at firmest setting and never look back. As far as the steering goes. Every now and then I will get a floating feelings but now with the lift and 35's, not sure if it's just that or something with the steering.

Users who are viewing this thread