5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steering Wheel Does not turn the same left to right

Lucky.Devil76

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have 2021 Ram 1500 4X4 Laramie has been in the shop and the dealer cannot get Ram to agree to fix my truck. The only why I know to describe it is the steering wheel will turn 1-1/2 turns to the left and the top of the steering wheel will be facing the floor. When you turn it to the right The steering wheel will not make it all the way to where the top of the steering wheel is facing the floor. Does anyone have any idea what I can do to get my truck fixed? I have met with the shop foreman and very other truck on their lot the steering wheel turns the exact same amount in both directions and the top of the steering wheel faces the floor. The shop foreman agrees my truck is not right but cannot fix it without Rams approval. I am at a lost for words on what to do.

I would appreciate any input y'all could help with.

Nukegm426

Reaction score
Are you having an issue driving it? Unless it’s not functioning correctly, at this point it’s an aesthetics thing otherwise.

Dragonmaster13

Reaction score
A quick adjustment of the tie rods should fix that. Do a search on YouTube for how to centre steering wheel.

Lucky.Devil76

Reaction score
Are you having an issue driving it? Unless it’s not functioning correctly, at this point it’s an aesthetics thing otherwise.
The reason I looked at the steering was because I could tell a difference backing into a space from the left and right. Also I didn’t buy a new truck to be almost right! It should be right and function like every other truck out there.

drydocked

Reaction score
I'd suggest measuring the turning radius with the wheel turned to the right and if it doesn't meet the specs for the truck then you have a problem that they can document and fix.

Lucky.Devil76

Reaction score
I'd suggest measuring the turning radius with the wheel turned to the right and if it doesn't meet the specs for the truck then you have a problem that they can document and fix.
I can respect that but should I not expect my trucks steering wheel to turn in the same fashion as every other new truck on the lot? There is something obviously wrong. The truck only has 2,000 miles on it. I can also really tell the difference left to right when I’m tight spots.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Any good alignment shop can fix that. You might want to find another dealer for service if the one you're using can't even figure out how to properly clock a steering wheel.

drydocked

Reaction score
I can respect that but should I not expect my trucks steering wheel to turn in the same fashion as every other new truck on the lot? There is something obviously wrong. The truck only has 2,000 miles on it. I can also really tell the difference left to right when I’m tight spots.
This should be the issue that you tell them about - the difference in the ability to turn in tight spots between left and right. That's obviously a mechanical problem that they should be able to document and diagnose. Being a former tech there can be mis-communication between the service writer and the tech doing the work and if the tech doesn't have the right information the real problem doesn't get fixed. Good luck!

Lucky.Devil76

Reaction score
This should be the issue that you tell them about - the difference in the ability to turn in tight spots between left and right. That's obviously a mechanical problem that they should be able to document and diagnose. Being a former tech there can be mis-communication between the service writer and the tech doing the work and if the tech doesn't have the right information the real problem doesn't get fixed. Good luck!
You are right, I have experienced first hand the mis-communication. The dealer was originally telling me that the truck was working within spec. So I went up there last Saturday and met with the shop foreman once I showed him the exact issue he agreed it was not right and that he was not examining the truck in that way. He did mention that it is hitting against the steering stop in one direction but not the other direction. Do you recall if the steering should hit against the steering stops if aligned correctly?

drydocked

Reaction score
You are right, I have experienced first hand the mis-communication. The dealer was originally telling me that the truck was working within spec. So I went up there last Saturday and met with the shop foreman once I showed him the exact issue he agreed it was not right and that he was not examining the truck in that way. He did mention that it is hitting against the steering stop in one direction but not the other direction. Do you recall if the steering should hit against the steering stops if aligned correctly?
On the older vehicles I'm familiar with, yes I would expect the steering to hit against both steering stops. I haven't taken delivery of my truck yet and haven't been under any of the newer trucks to see how they are set up.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I blood gets warm every time I hear one of these dealer service examples.

First, I don't believe this meets factory specifications. Second, this could be a safety issue.

Third, Honesty can sometimes be the enemy of doing right thing. Having been in this business I find it hard to believe that the service manager is lacking the creativity to ensure the work order gets covered under warranty and satisfy the customer.

IE: 'Customer states vehicle pulls to the left,' or 'steering wheels fails to return to center.'

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 052243 miles.

Lucky.Devil76

Reaction score
Also thinking about mis-communication. Ram sent one of their techs to look at my truck for the steering wheel and they went on a hour long drive mostly in a straight line. I may not be the smartest person in the world but how do you check the steering going straight? Also you can see the issue sitting still or backing into a parking space (which is what made me look more into it to start with). It look more like they went on a joy ride! At this point I will wait for the final verdict from Chrysler and if they still refuse to fix it; I will submit everything I have to my lawyer and confirm my rights and what I can do next.
I can't tell if it will show but I attached a snap shot of the rout the tech took. (I have a GPS unit on my truck) Thats also how I know they drove it for an hour.

Lucky.Devil76

Reaction score
I blood gets warm every time I hear one of these dealer service examples.

First, I don't believe this meets factory specifications. Second, this could be a safety issue.

Third, Honesty can sometimes be the enemy of doing right thing. Having been in this business I find it hard to believe that the service manager is lacking the creativity to ensure the work order gets covered under warranty and satisfy the customer.

IE: 'Customer states vehicle pulls to the left,' or 'steering wheels fails to return to center.'

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 052243 miles.
I agree, I have such buyers remorse, I have been a Ford guy for the last 15 years and wanted to try something new. I'm regretting that decision more everyday!

Users who are viewing this thread